Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - What's with all the skiers?

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's with all the skiers?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:59 pm 

All I gots to say is there are way too many telemarkers on this here snowboard site in all the trip reports. :evil:

Ok, ok. I know how hard it is to find bc partners, let alone split board partners. But how about next all of you go out with your ski buddies, you let them take all the pictures?

I'm really just jealous. I'm sitting here in a short sleeve shirt, in what is turning out to be the driest winter EVER in this corner of the southwest. I should still be stoked on last season, best season ever, but last season's snow is long gone and so is my stoke.

Enjoy your winter! I'm already enjoying my spring. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:14 pm 

splitboarders are too slow.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:40 pm 

Steep cost of joining the splitboard club both finacially and physically are the main reasons.

If you are lucky you can find a used split for $400-600. If you are mechanically inclined you can split your own board for with about 4 hours of work and $200 (but it will not be a great split baord). Then you need to get skins, and poles. At this point you could also have a used set of tele skis and boots, or a used set of AT gear and boots, which are both easier to find than a used split. And to get a new split you are looking at $900+

And even then you need to be really fast in transitions and climbing to keep up with the tele and AT crowd. And don't even get me started on technical up and down traverses on a split in ski mode. It gets easier, but on a hard windblown ridge, traversing on a split is ski mode on a good day is still a bitch. Trying to dig an edge on a nasty hard downhill traverse on a ski with a 130mm waist in soft boots and strap bindings with a 35 lb pack is something that has to be experienced to be appreciated. :shock:

It ain't cheap to join the splitboard party, and your AT and tele friends better be a bit patient, it helps that they will get some good laughs watching you flail in ski mode too :oops: .

But I think it is worth it. I'm still splitting. :lol:

UB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:40 pm 

I truly feel bad for you in AZ with the dry season. Seriously. That's a bummer.

BUT...

I love to see Taos sucking wind. :twisted: Their website says 100% snowboard free. It should say 90% snow free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:27 am 

Nice KS. :D

I think we (snowboarders/splitboarders) have done a pretty good job of infiltrating the skiing forums like ttips and tgr. They accept us there, we should do the same. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:58 am 

Knucklesplitter, I'm laughing out loud!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:17 am 

I couldn't care less what my partners have attached to their feet. The important things I look for is good attitude, experience, knowledge, and availability.

With all the ski/snowboard message boards that are out there it's rare that I can't find someone to go out with but most days I hook up with a small group of partners I've developed over the years. More that a few of these folks are skiers and again it doesn't matter much to me.

My friends know they are welcome here and many of them contribute. I would also invite more skiers to do the same. 8)

I think rico was just playing because a lot of my picture TRs do feature skiers. Not all my partners have cameras or even enjoy taking pictures for that matter. I do however so I'm always shooting whoever happens to be with me.

Hope that helps a little. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:20 am 

I sent Taos my annual nasty email. 8) It's especially fun when their season has been bad, like so often in the last 5-10 years:

"100% snow board free? BFD. Instead of "100% snowboard free" on your website, perhaps you should replace it with "90% snow free". Break out your rock skis and enjoy your spring. Kharma is a helluva thing."

Ricorides, come on up for one of our many split get-togethers around the Sierra. They usually last into June.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:21 am 

Oh... BTW... what BCR said. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:55 pm 

That a boy Matt, but dont forget ALTA. Another shithole that dont want boarders. I could give a shit about going to either one but, Its my ( and your) national forest that they are restricting access to. And that why I dont see skiers or snowboarders, just snow sport enthusists. Sounds like some type of corperate speak but I grew up in Texas where 99% of the land is privately owned . If you want to hunt or fish or play you must pay. Thats why I love the west, full of national forests. Free access. As long as the public shows interest. So the more people in the backcountry, the better cause that keeps the forest open. OK done preaching

Post subject: I am so confused
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:49 am 

I guess I just suck. You see, I telemark too.

No, I'm not lying. This can't be easy to take.

I'm confused, should I be on ttips? Will THEY accept me when rad boarders like you clearly disdain our prescence and, lord forbid, photos.

Is there a IDontGiveAShitI'mJustHavingFunWithMyFriends.com?

The horror.

I guess I should just go away.

Instead, I'm calling up a boarder buddy and a tele buddy and we are going skiing. Maybe I'll even get wild and call up a randonee skier.

Then again there is no Randonee.com, they must be out skiing already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:02 pm 

Dave,

Before you jump in and get offended you need to realize that there is a community here. It may take a little time to understand the tone and whatnot. You are definitely welcome here regardless of what's on your feet.

Here's a couple TRs that may help you understand this.
http://talk.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2036
http://talk.splitboard.com/talk/viewtop ... 1&start=15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:13 pm 

You're kidding, right SD?

I think Rico Rides was kidding/jealous.

95%+ of the riders on this forum don't care what's attached to your feet. Well, unless it's a monoski... or dogsh*t. This forum is 10X more accepting of non-splitboarders that TTips is accepting of snowboarders.

If you sense some anamosity from my Toas/Alta comments, it is not meant toward skiers in general, but toward narrow-minded luddite skiers who dislike snowboarders and the resulting descisions by those resorts to ban snowboarding. I doubt you fall into this catagory if you're here. Taos used to be the closest resort to where I lived, and it pissed me off that I had to drive farther up to Wolf Creek Pass to ride, although WCP is a killer resort for powderhound hikers.