Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carl Skoog Tribute
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:22 pm 

I never knew Carl, but when he passed I felt a definite loss in the mountain community. During a restless night a few weeks back, and through teary eyes, I read Lowell's thread about his brother's passing on Turns All Year.

I've always been an admirer of the Skoog brother's ski mountaineering feats, and couldn't help but notice all the outstanding ski photograpy that Carl gave us over the years. How many dreams of distant mountains did Carl awaken for me over the years through his pictures?

I was lucky enough to attend a small gathering yesterday evening at the OR show, where a roomful of about 50 people got to show their respect for Carl. As his brother narrated an emotional slideshow of spectacular photos, I was overwhelmed by the people in attendance who were all there for Carl. Lou Dawson, Martin Volken(sp?), Brad Barlage, Noah Howell, Naheed Henderson, etc. Everywhere I turned I was surrounded by people who shared the same passion and fire for the mountains that Carl had. I felt honored to be in that company, and even though I never met Carl, I knew that he too would have been overwhelmed by the extended family that was there paying tribute to his remarkable existence.

I know this is a splitboarding forum, but I really felt Carl deserved to be remembered here. I know his photos will continue to inspire me, and I'm certain he has changed many of our lives forever. May he continue to live on through us, as we explore the magnificent mountains that breathe life into us all.

DJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:18 pm 

real nice post ks. 8)

RIP Carl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:07 pm 

Speechless.

Thanks for the wonderful comments. Carl's exploits and photo's speak for themselves.

I'm always at a loss when one of us dies in the mountains...doing what we love. I reflect on my selfishness to put myself in harms way before every trip, be it snowboarding, mtbiking, rafting and even just backpacking. But I can't imagine not going.

I guess I'm not speechless :shock:

RIP