Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Flats... why I gave up snowboarding!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:16 pm 

Hey Splitboarders out there- I want some input.

I recently sold my splitboard for a pair of randonee skis for the backcountry- (don't hate on me too much.. read on)..

I am an expert rider and a intermediate skier.. why then would I make the switch? Don't you want to be on top of your game for backcountry riding? I like shredding with my board waaaay more than turning on skis. Then why the switch?

The problem with my splitboard was the flat sections- you know, the ones between downhill stretches? I absolutely resented having to struggle through snow with one foot on the board and one off while my skier friends glided past with mocking faces.

How do you guys deal with such situations?

Has anyone tried to make a telemark turn with the splitboard skis? That is the only viable solution I can think of: after the steeps (and you know it's flattened out) then you just gotta ski down the rest!?!

Let me know what's goin on>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:52 pm 

stick to skiing...its way better for the flat sections.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:44 pm 

but snowboarding is sooooo much better for the steeps.. linking turns on a board is way better!! I wonder if there's some kinda way to make tele turns on the split skis.. so that way I can actually make turns once I take my board apart..

any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:45 pm 

ski your split through the flats, but better yet, avoid flat sections if possible. ski mode is sort of fun for flat non-tech. sections! they must be really long flats to warrant a switch, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:50 pm 

i've contemplated getting a pair of verts or trying to make something even lighter for quick changes to traverse short flat sections or when you get stuck in tight trees. anything so you are not postholing past your knees. it would be cool if it had a step in binding like the voile mountain plates. probably not worth the weight on the pack for most tours though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:06 pm 

Stop Crying! It comes with the package! If it were easy, everybody would be doing it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:41 pm 

plark42 wrote:
any ideas?

plark42 wrote:
snowboarding is sooooo much better for the steeps.. linking turns on a board is way better!!

You just answered your own question. ;)

And for those that share the same sentiment, skiing just isn't an option. Neither skiing nor snowboarding is perfect, snowboards suck in the flats and skis don't surf the earth like a snowboard. Life is a series of compromises.

I would also echo what butryon said, its best to avoid the flats in the first place. Of course they are not always avoidable but you know what we mean. Sometimes skiers don't really understand this when traveling with snowboarders so a little discussion and route selection can make the trip more pleasurable for everyone. You aren't wallowing and they aren't waiting.

For the times when it isn't avoidable, being ultra fast with your conversion also helps. Switching over might take a moment or two on both ends but the amount of energy and time it will save you will be huge. Just yesterday I had o skin up for a flat section while my skiing friends skated. No big deal for either of us.

What is a nuisance is the rolling tours when there are small flat sections followed by steeper sections. I usually just go by the distance, snow conditions, and energy level. If its supportable snow I just boot the small flat section. If its bottomless pow, short, and I'm feeling like a stud, I'll just bite the bullet and wallow to catch up. (see old powderhouse TR from last year)

As for the tele turn thing. Learning to ski in split mode is a good skill for these exact scenarios. I don't really try to tele, I just use parallel turns and go slow so I don't crash. Sometimes this approach can also take more energy than just switching over modes too.

Use your best judgment, have fun, and learn from your mistakes. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:42 pm 

I am learning to ski on my splitboard...courtesy of OldMan. I must say it is a good tool to have in the toolbox. I've been fortunate enough to see why it is good, too.

For example, a couple weeks ago we had a 3-4 mile approach on a relatively flat trail. It was steep enough to constitute skins on the way in, but not for the trip out. And to snowboard-skate 3-4 miles back would...suck. So, we skied out. It was cool because I got to practice ski-skating. I still suck, but I know with some practice I'll get it down.

The only downfall I've seen is that my brackets bend after prolonged use. But, that's nothing that a leatherman can't fix.

Maybe oldman will share some insight as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:46 pm 

this is true.. but this is by far the biggest drawback for splitboards.. what's the fastest turnaround out there for a person to go from riding to touring? ever timed yourself?

how do the split skis perform in terms of making turns/stopping? My previous splitboard was one from a split kit.. I buzzed an old K2 in half so I didn't have the luxury of inside metal edges..

I guess there's no avoiding the one foot off/one foot on mode of transportation when there's a bump in the terrain. It just sucks a fat one and wastes a lot of energy that could be used elsewhere.

I guess I am just bellyachin'.. anyone out there have any suggestions for avoiding the one foot on/off posthole scenario?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:59 pm 

plark42 wrote:
this is by far the biggest drawback for splitboards..

Maybe I'm missing something….

I think you mean the biggest drawback for snowboards. With splitboards you can split the board into skis so you don't have to wallow. With a snowboard that's just not an option.

ps. inside metal edges and a stiffer splitboard (non DIY) will really help.

pss. if I really try I can transition my board into either mode in most conditions in about 1.5minutes. There are lots of little tricks you can learn both with the product itself and by getting to the top or flat spot first so you are a moment ahead of your partners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:29 pm 

plark,
i ski mine a lot, turns and all. the tele turn, well, it happens when it's mellow, but mostly it's survival skiing. ya know, pizza(wedge) and french fries (parallel). the inside edge thing on the diy's will skate just like a production split. personally i like my diy better than my production, but in touring mode they are the same, minus size diff. you will never be as fast as a skier, but you can be close. depending on fitness, kick ass by far enough to give you the xtra time :P
p.s. i don't know to many people who switch back, seems illogical

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:39 pm 

I'm on my first split this season and have been having all the trials and tribulations, but I've decided 90% of the hassel with the flats is avoided with good route selection, knowledge of the terrain and picking key times to switch/boot it... I have no problem keep up to skiers unless its a long flat groomer.... who rides those anyways???

I will be investing in the sking side of touring soon for the icier traverses and if/when i get into the guide industry...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:18 pm 

Sometimes keeping your poles in your hands helps if you know the flat spot is coming, especially if you can get in some skier's tracks (yes, skis are good for something)