Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie, what do I do next?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:54 am 

Hi,

I am new here and new to split boards. I bought a Voile Split Decision and all the extras. I have taken it to the resorts a few times to get used to it and I am ready to head for less traveled snow. I live in the San Jose, CA area and would like to find a relatively easy area for a first time out. I have never done any back-country skiing or boarding though I have been involved in mountaineering for some time and am familiar and comfortable with the mountains in the winter. I am an intermediate snowboarder so I am not interested in anything really exciting. If I found an area where there were a few experienced people around that I could get a few tips from I would be really happy.

Also, for a first trip in (hopefully) easy terrain should I wear my old soft snowboard boots or switch to my Kofach mountaineering boots?

Thanks,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:12 pm 

A good easy location is Sunrise Bowl near Tahoe Donner. Easy access, really no avi danger, and short runs so you can practice the switch overs.

If your comfortable in the mountains, this may be too tame for you, but if you don't have avalanche gear it is a good spot.

If you're coming up 50 instead of 80, maybe at the snowpark at Echo Summit on the south side of 50.

I'd use the soft boots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:19 pm 

Powder Junkie is right mellow terrain, stick to your soft boots. I have tried Koflachs and they suck. Super slow response nothing compared to an AT boot or Mtn AT boot. It is all about your snowboard and mtn skills. Start slow work your way up, pay your dues. See you at the Wasatch Splitfest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:30 am 

check out thebackcountry.net for their skiing guide section for area around Tahoe. I think sunrise bowl is also in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:39 am 

Thanks everybody. I don't know any splitboarders but will head out with some tele friends. Should be comic as I am sure I will fumble around and they will jeer.

BTW, what about wax? Can the wrong wax mess up the skin glue?