Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Experiences with Burton Softboots
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:04 pm 

The Salomon riders weighed in on an earlier post, now I need the Burton rider's help. I just picked up some of last seasons Ions, thermals, pretty much topline boot. I've been wearing them around the house tonight and my feet are feeling numbish but not unbearable or necessarily uncomfortable.

It's been awhile since I've had new boots and I've never had Burtons so I'm trying to remember how they should feel. Touring kills boots so I know these will gain volume but I also don't want cold, numb feet if they are too small and they weren't purchased at REI so I can't return em once I ride em.

What are your experiences? Are you buying true to size? Buying snug? I'm normally a 10 and bought a 10. Salomon Synapse was a 10 and have gotten pretty sloppy after 3 seasons of resort and BC.

Post subject: Boot packin'
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:45 pm 

As you said, you know that boots will pack out. I don't think it matters whether you're wearing Salomon or Burton softboots, it's the fit that's important.

I ride Burton softboots (last season's model - can't remember the name). I run em' about a size 1/2 small. Now that they are packed out, they are great. Still a little snug, but not painful or uncomfortable. But.....

...when I took em' out with my split board this season, I ended up losing the nail on my big toe :cry: Decending with snug boots is one thing, but skinning in snug boots is another issue! I have since gone back to my 'more spacious' Northwave boots and have had no problems since - ascending or descending. When skinning - especially with the riser bar up on a brief flat section or a small downhill - your toes will push forward to the front of the boot. If you don't have enough room, you're gonna feel before you reach the end of your tour.

My two cents.....

~ Edubious

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:53 am 

I've had 2 pairs of Ions develop a kink in the back right over my achilles. This was with both '04 and '05 models, each after one season of use. I think this mostly happened from climbing in the boots on Verts, i.e. I don't think it would have been a problem with just skinning and descending. I think it's just an issue with the design, where there's that plastic tab that goes over the heel to add stiffness there, but it only goes partway up the back, and just above where it ends is where I got the kink both times. Also, the sole wasn't particularly durable.

I did like the feel of the boots though. They just didn't seem particularly bomber for bc use. As far as sizing, I bought the size I normally use. I didn't have any fit issues after breaking them in, and don't recall ever having cold feet.

I'm hoping the Driver X will work out better for bc use. YMMV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:13 pm 

hey man, i got new burton sapphires (top o' the line women's) boots last year. the first time i used them my feet were screamin'! but after touring in them this year they've totally molded to my feet and now i'm cruising in comfort. oh ya, i didn't buy them snug, just my usual size. my feet are never cold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:30 pm 

Im riding the new Driver x's, snug fit, no movement in the heel, but I have a "hot spot" on my right foot where the BOA lace system is embedded in the boot. They use a small plastic tube for the lace guide and that seems to land right on the top of my foot. Seem to be getting better . On a scale of 1-10 Id givem a 7 , now if they looked like cowboy boots and had a big red star on them Id wear them everywhere, even surfing

There are 4 dangers in backcountry travel falling, freezing, avalanches and roundhouse kicks from Chuck Norris hiding in the trees

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:05 am 

patroller420 wrote:
There are 4 dangers in backcountry travel falling, freezing, avalanches and roundhouse kicks from Chuck Norris hiding in the trees

Sorry to hijack the thread, but speaking of Chuck Norris, that reminded me of a funny email I got a while back:

-----

15 Little Known Facts About Chuck Norris

1. Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

2. A man once asked Chuck Norris if his real name is "Charles". Chuck Norris did not respond, he simply stared at him until he exploded.

3. Rather than being birthed like a normal child, Chuck Norris instead decided to punch his way out of his mother's womb. Shortly thereafter he grew a beard.

4. Chuck Norris built a time machine and went back in time to stop the JFK assassination. As Oswald shot, Chuck met all three bullets with his beard, deflecting them. JFK's head exploded out of sheer amazement.

5. The original theme song to the Transformers was actually "Chuck Norris--more than meets the eye, Chuck Norris--robot in disguise," and starred Chuck Norris as a Texas Ranger who defended the earth from drug-dealing Decepticons and could turn into a pick-up. This was far too much awesome for a single show, however, so it was divided.

6. Chuck Norris was the fourth Wiseman. He brought baby Jesus the gift of "beard". Jesus wore it proudly to his dying day. The other Wisemen, jealous of Jesus' obvious gift favoritism, used their combined influence to have Chuck omitted from the Bible. Shortly after all three died of roundhouse kick related deaths.

7. Chuck Norris once shot a German plane down with his finger, by yelling, "Bang!"

8. When Chuck Norris plays Oregon Trail his family does not die from cholera or dysentery, but rather roundhouse kicks to the face. He also requires no wagon, since he carries the oxen, axels, and buffalo meat on his back. He always makes it to Oregon before you.

9. Chuck Norris can please a woman by simply pointing at her and saying "booya".

10. Before each filming of Walker: Texas Ranger, Chuck Norris is injected with five times the lethal dose of elephant tranquilzer. This is, of course, to limit his strength and mobility, in an attempt to lower the fatality rate of the actors he fights.

11. Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits.

12. When Chuck Norris's wife burned the turkey one Thanksgiving, Chuck said, "Don't worry about it honey," and went into his backyard. He came back five minutes later with a live turkey, ate it whole, and when he threw it up a few seconds later it was fully cooked and came with cranberry sauce. When his wife asked him how he had done it, he gave her a roundhouse kick to the face and said, "Never question Chuck Norris."

13. Chuck Norris took my virginity, and he will sure as hell take yours.

If you're thinking to yourself, "That's impossible, I already lost my virginity.", then you are dead wrong.

14. Chuck Norris is currently suing NBC, claiming Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.

15. Chuck Norris once tried to sue Burger King after they refused to put razor wire in his Whopper Jr., insisting that that actually is "his" way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:36 pm 

You forgot the best one!

Chuck Norris sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled martial arts ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Chuck roundhouse kicked the devil in the face and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every second Wednesday of the month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:58 pm 

I know at least 4 guys who have slept with chuck norris