Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What type of board for Colorado splitting?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:18 am 

I'm about to purchase my first split, and I could use some advise on typical snow conditions in the BC in CO. I'm trying to decide between the Prior Backcountry split and the Khyber split. Is there enough powder for someone in the Denver area to justify having a powder specific shape as their only board? I understand that both of these boards can be used in the pow, but the Khyber is a specialty shape. I enjoy riding all types of terrain, but will lean towards bowls and glades first, and then steeper stuff next.

I currently ride a K2 Ambush 164, Arbor A-Frame 170, and O-Sin 4807 168 in bounds. I'm 5'10" 170lbs, rider for 14 years.

Looking at the Backcountry split 168, or the Khyber 160 or 165. What about a really specifc shape like the Swallowtail split 172?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:12 am 

Don't go with a specialized shape as your only board....IMHO...you'd regret it.

The best BC skiing in CO is in spring when the conditions can be quite variable ranging from sastrugi to nice powder (sometimes all in one run). If you go with a 'powder only' board I think you'd regret it and be buying another board really soon.

Going with a slightly longer board would be a good trade-off. For your weight and height, I'd recommend something over 170.

Post subject: Split
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:18 pm 

If you live in Denver why don't you give the guys from Never Summer a call and see if you can ride one of their boards. I am told that they will split any of their boards they have. The T5 and the Titan both come in high 160's which should fit you pretty well and both more freeride backcountry. They might not be able to give you a split but they still might be able to let you borrow something that you can split in the future. Atleast it won't be a blind guess. www.neversummer.com... They are out of Denver.
Also with Khyber, I would probably try and demo that board before I blew all the cash on it. If you can't find it, maybe try demoing something equivalent to see if you like the way it rides. Burton Fish or Malalo I believe are similar shapes. But it all probably is going to come down to what you plan on riding with it.

Post subject: Which Split
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:14 am 

Thanks for the info guys, I posed this question to to the staff at Prior directly, and their respone was:

"The swallowtail splitboard is a great board in all conditions and works well in spring corn and crud too. You will not go wrong adding one of these to your quiver. The swallowtail works well in the chutes too. About the only thing it does not do well is ride switch."

I'm really smitten by the red swallowtail split.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:49 pm 

if you can afford it buy a powder split they are incredible in pow.If the snow is to hard it aint worth going.If your looking for some spots, I lived in Denver for a couple of years and Berthoud is the shit.One hour from the city and lots of terrain.Stick to the old ski runs untill you feel good about the conditions, see if you can find the Peter Rabbit cabin its pretty cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:55 pm 

I rode a Prior 168 [?] split swallow at Tioga Pass May '04. got there late and ended up coming down some freshly-shaded & frozen hardpack. the board held in unreal! a real eye-opener. a big difference in the Prior swallows is the full round nose, unusual for a swallow. it makes a big difference in how the board initiates a turn. it works well and could definitely work as a "quiver of one" for a majority of the backcountry conditions usually met in Colorado.

...and Tree @ Prior is a hottie too :)

YMMV, KK

Post subject: Pulled the trigger...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:24 am 

Ordered a 172 Swallowtail Split. Thanks for taking time to share your knowledge and opinions, I'll post once it arrives and I get a chance to ride it.

Jeremy

Post subject: First impression
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:27 pm 

Got it a couple days ago, have ridden it twice in some of the hike-to terrain at Keystone, so far it's a keeper. I just posted a more detailed report in the Reviews section.

Jeremy