Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AK heli-boarding!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:28 am 

I'm going to Valdez in march. I have one day in the heli booked and plan on getting at least one mor in the heli and another couple in the CAT. Also might be able to hook up a plane ride to the top of something. Any advice on what to bring, what not to do, ect, ect...... No splitboarding on this trip though.

Post subject: heli boarding
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:39 pm 

Be sure to bring the longest board you can get, big cajones, and a credit card with a high limit. That stuff is like crack, except it's legal. And make sure your liver is ready for no-fly days.

Post subject: Re: heli boarding
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:40 am 

mtnman wrote:
Be sure to bring the longest board you can get, big cajones, and a credit card with a high limit. That stuff is like crack, except it's legal. And make sure your liver is ready for no-fly days.

That's some pretty solid advice right there! :mrgreen:

I've flown a few times with the Chugach Powder Guides in the late nineties. We stayed in Girdwood which is about 30minutes from Anchorage. The terrain is incredible.

I've also done the ski plane thing which is a great alternative to the “flying money shredderâ€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:20 pm 

I've only been to Cordova. But absolutely plan on down days. They come often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:07 pm 

no splitboarding??? why not.

I was in valdez recently and ran into the 3 local splitters who were stoked to find a bretheren, then realized i wasn't from there.

but seriously, of the half dozen times i've been there to ski and ice climb i've had good vis maybe 2 days. but i can always hike the pass in the safe(er) areas.

need: big board (this ain't tree skiing), be on your game avy wise (i.e. don't be stupid) there are two snowpacks in valdez. maritime near town and more continental (cold interior) further up the road. they have way different characteristics. i'm guessing you will be with a guide, but if you aren't keep that in mind. if you ice climb, that may be a possibility for down days. many classsic ice climbs are easily accessed in the area (100m from the road :shock: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:48 am 

Dont forget the splitboard!!!!! Tompson Pass has some of the best road access backcountry in the world, if the bird cant fly atleast you still can. As for as the heli ski game goes, try to give yourself as much time as possible. They just want your $ so dont let em talk you into flyin on a greybird day, be patient, try to hook up with a solid group and when the storm breaks get ready for the best day of riding you'll ever have!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:01 am 

I guess I will be taking a split. I just bought anew prior kyber 166. Been out on it a few times this week and love it so far. I live in Colorado and I'm pretty used to messed up snowpacs.Also lived in Washington for a few and learned alot about the wet snowpacks too. I've been trying to keep track of the snowpac up there this year. We have a couple days in a snowcat booked too for down days in the heli.

PS. I met Dean Cummings, owner of h2o heli, in the gullies at the basin the other day. Didn't get a chance to pick his brain though.