Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chinese hooks vs. Ying Yang hooks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:36 am 

Just looking for a little beta from folks that have used one version or both. The Chinese hooks are the Voile version and the Ying Yang are on the pre 06 Burtons.

I think there are pluses and minuses to both and just wonder what the rest of you all think.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:52 pm 

Bump because I added pics. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:27 pm 

Whatever has less weight. 8)
I liked the yinyang design. It is a little harder to assemble, but is more low profile.
Never had a problem with them hitting the other ski when touring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:43 pm 

now that i've ridden both i think voile's chinese are a little better design than the burton ying yang. i base this *only* on the fact you can spin the chinese hooks out of the way in skin mode, whereas the ying yang you cannot. its a very minor problem that you'd probably only encounter in skin mode while climbing in a stretch of woods (such is common here on the east) where you'd hang up on deadfall or a tree. in a bowl this is likely an irrelevant point... again this is really a minor point.

otherwise they both seem to keep the board together equally in ride mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:56 pm 

i have used both and have had clogging problems with both, so honestly i cant really say one is beter than the other.

here are my nit-picky concerns that really dont matter:
if you turn the voile things in, it takes a little longer to transition and every second counts when trying to keep up with the tele guys.

the burton hooks are a little harder to deal with in high wind, although in really high wind putting any interface together is really going to suck.

even voile factory splits have bolt heads sticking out on the base for the chinese hooks (maybe newer ones dont) which kind of sucks, burton just uses inserts. once again, i doubt this makes any difference at all in ride mode.

Post subject: xxx
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:27 pm 

this is a qwestion of religions....

burton has no rotation - and no play in the Z axle
this is a big point....for burton

voile has no stand over - in the walk modus .

its a point for voile

burton

Post subject: hooks
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:48 pm 

no problem at all with the Burton - look at the engineering and points of contact - 2 is better than one! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:15 am 

Do the Burton hooks flex at all? It seems like the right angle crease on the Voile hooks would make them stiffer than the Burtons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:13 am 

SanFrantastico wrote:
Do the Burton hooks flex at all? It seems like the right angle crease on the Voile hooks would make them stiffer than the Burtons.

Good point, I would think that the Voile's would be stiffer by design.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:37 pm 

The fact that the Yin Yang hooks don't swivel out of the way always seemed to be one of the negative characteristics of the old Burton system.

Say you're out fishing from your boat. You throw down the anchor and fish for a little while. The fish don't seem to be biting in this spot, so you decide to drive to another spot on the other side of the lake. Do you:
A. Take two seconds to pull up the anchor
B. Just leave the anchor down and give it extra gas

Having those things drag in the snow probably isn't such a big deal some of the time, but there is no reason to have them slowing you down. That is really going to add up towards the end of a long day. And I think it would make a huge difference in heavy snow, or following an old refrozen skin track. Especially a skin track that was broken by skiers, and is already a bit too narrow for split skis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:14 pm 

Well you guys know I'm biased but I try to give a practical opinion. Both hooks perform the exact same function and are equally as strong (both provide more strength then is needed).

Burtons are stainless steel and slightly larger: minimal extra weight.

Voile's do turn out of the way but I say who gives a crap. Wally (owner of Voile) wanted them to turn, I was happy with a fixed hook. The newest generation Voile's self clean when you pivot them.

The only real advantage Voile has is that you can line up the board with the hooks about 3 or 4 inches apart and give it a good slam when you slide them together to eject any snow that may have gathered around them on the way up.

The other disadvantage to the Burton's is that they are discontinued and no longer available. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:40 pm 

bcd wrote:
...there is no reason to have them slowing you down. That is really going to add up towards the end of a long day. And I think it would make a huge difference in heavy snow, or following an old refrozen skin track.

i dont mean to flame you, but that is pretty much all i skin in (heavy snow and frozen skin tracks) and the burton system really doest drag at all. they only stick out about 1/8" in a place where the ski tip has allready moved snow out of the way. i doubt they make skinning take any more energy overall. also, i think to hit a tree with one of those, your shoulder would pretty much have to be inside the tree :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:16 am 

cowboy wrote:
Well you guys know I'm biased but I try to give a

The other disadvantage to the Burton's is that they are discontinued and no longer available. :D

LOL, yeah! And when you get down to brass tacks, that might be the only point that matters!

also, I like your point about with the Voile system whereas you can slam the boards together to clear snow.