Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Advice on Iphone GPS
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:57 am 

Just in case anyone has not mentioned it.....

I have the iPhone 4s and the IOS7 upgrade has degraded battery life even a bit more than before so battery life is a paramount concern. A nifty trick to use to really increase battery life while using the GPS (not in aircraft mode) is to set your sim card so you can lock and unlock it. Power the phone off then restart. It will ask for your sim pin but just cancel. The phone will boot without cell support so the cell radio does not power up. Fortunately though, the GPS radio works with the sim deactivated (or even physically removed). The phone will last for days (in standby) like this instead of croaking in about 24-36 hours with the sim active. What I like about this as opposed to airplane mode, is the GPS signal locks on instantly when you start your app or you can run it for longer periods without the cell radio killing your battery in the field. This trick works with Android and WIndows phones as well and will greatly improve battery performance when you do not need cell service and there is no tower for the phone to lock onto.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:36 pm 

I've used Gaia for years, and never had issues as long as I keep an eye on my battery. (Android Razr Maxx)

For overnights I carry a (charged) Anker recharger, that could theoretically charge my phone 7 times over. Adds a pound, but crazy peace of mind as well.

Can't imagine anyone would carry both a dedicated gps and their phone once they discovered Gaia or OTM...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:09 am 

Well, for me personally, it's because the iPhone 4S I have will shut down in temperatures much below 35 combined with anemic battery life. My Magellan Triton GPS will go for days on 2 AA lithium batteries in 20 below temperatures. Now I can't confirm this but I have been told that an actual GPS unit has a better radio and is more accurate than cell phones and that is a concern for some.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:52 am 

Snowolf wrote:
Well, for me personally, it's because the iPhone 4S I have will shut down in temperatures much below 35 combined with anemic battery life.

I have the 4s and have never had this happen. Are you keeping it in a spot that keeps it warm?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:24 am 

Sounds to me like the iphone that is shutting down at freezing has a tired battery. Mine started doing the same thing but the battery was holding a much shorter charge regardless of temp. Exchanged it for a 5s and one of the best things is just having a fresh battery. Also takes incredible pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:15 am 

That is a good point! My battery did in fact fail and I had it replaced. In the process, I lost my GPS radio so Apple gave me a replacement 4S. Admittedly, I have not had the shut down problem since, but Apple tech did say they do not make any claims of functionality below 35F.

Yes, I do now in fact make sure to keep it in an inner pocket to prevent it from getting cold. Shutting off the sim card and thus the cell radio has made a HUGE difference in battery life in the field too. It is almost as good as putting it in airplane mode but now there isnt that PITA of switching out of airplane mode and locking onto a satellite to use GP. Its a quick, turn it on, check my bearings, turn it back off and ride.... :clap: