Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Canadian Powder Highway Beta
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:05 pm 

Hey all you north of the boarder folk. Thanks for the help prior on some hut information. Ended up ditching that idea (nothing available) and renting an RV to be as mobile as possible.

So now a few of us Coloradians are going to be heading from Calgary to Revelstoke in the middle of march this year, and looking for some beta on the area to start doing some research. We will be travelling mostly between Kicking Horse to Revelstoke, and doing a good amount of day touring.

I'm not looking for specific lines (if you want to divulge, pm me so we don't give up your information), but looking more what types of elevations and aspects do you generally stick to for better snow / stability? What stuff gets hit a bunch (that I'll probably stay away from)? How is the stability around then, are the larger lines generally in?

Looking at day trips from the highway (anywhere in there). Somewhere in the 4-6k' day range for climbing. I would be happy to get some bigger lines like couloirs (do spines exist there?) if the conditions permit as well, but if not happy to ride trees and pillows if the snow is good too.

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Canadian Powder Highway Beta
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:01 pm 

I don't really know the area at all, so have been looking around online for info and came across this extremely well put together website with an e-book and great kml file - http://rogerspass411.ca/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:52 pm 

Sick!!! You're gonna love it. I'll ask around while I'm here in Revelstoke and pass along what I find.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:55 am 

Don't overlook the peaks from Canmore to Lake Louise if conditions permit. South on Highway 40 before you get to Canmore, then back NW through Spray Valley/Kananaskis. Some absolutely stunning mountains that would have some sick lines conditions permitting. Mount Chester for example.

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-chester/153358

I took this pic from the summit over the summer. Not sure what road access is like in winter, but Im sure 40 is plowed.

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/548306_10200881552333425_1517451615_n.jpg

Here is a particularly sick day from Karkis on Mt Quadra and the 3/4 couloir at Moraine Lake.

http://www.biglines.com/articles/mt-faye-mt-quadra-34-couloir-day

also check this blog

http://www.globalalpine.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:25 am 

Looks like Moraine Lake Road and the Spray Trail that accesses those is closed until spring. Generally Moraine is May, and Spray in April. Looks like to approach 1 of the couloirs in March would be 6.5 miles and 4.8K of climbing. Maybe doable, but still a far reach. Helps being lower in elevation though, I love that feeling.

I'll still make sure I take a good look at Banff to Golden and that area, and down 40. I've been focused on Rogers pass right now, and working east, but there is certainly a lot of terrain to look at. I have a good amount of homework to do :doobie:

It would just help to know the elevation to start looking at for that time of year. Seems like most aspects gets skied, and all are pretty good. Probably much different than Colorado in that I mostly look at NW to E terrain and stay away more from S and W most of the time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:37 pm 

There are a few fun tours along the Smith-Dorian that connects Hwy 40 to Canmore in Kananaskis. You start at around 1800m and top out at ~2400m, mostly on N aspects that time of year, and theirs lots of fun little runs close to the highway which is nice.

Highway 93 S and N also offer lots of good riding W of Banff. 93 south has some 1000-1200m climbs that offer some fun riding through the burnt trees. Depending on area the start is at 1400-1600m. I haven't explored a lot of the larger tours on 93 N but you start at 1800m and vertical varies, but i think the approaches are a little longer and theres lots of glacieated (sp?) terrain.

Most aspects get skies at the pass, but each generally has there own set of problems. Obviously sun will be a factor on S slopes, so they might not be option latter in march, but i has riding SW slopes in late february last year which were excellent. Starts are 1200-1300m (the top of the pass is at 1330, and i think the discovery centre is at ~1315) and the peaks are 2500-2700m. I just heard of the Rogers 411, theres also a book that covers a lot of the areas and tours from each parking lot/drainage, and apparently theres a run atlas at the Lodge as well to help point you in the right direction.

Theres also lot of touring out of Revelstoke, with Mt. Macpherson and Mt. Begbie being two really populars areas. However you do start at a much lower elevation, ~650m, and unless you have a sled have to climb up the logging roads or clear cuts before you reach skiable terrain, which is generally around 1800-2200m. I don't know every area but know theres lots of sled assisted touring to cut out the 8-15km or logging roads needed to get to higher elevations. The freezing level really plays a big part of where will be the ideal spot to tour, and it can vary from valley bottom to 2200m (which can really mess things up).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:17 am 

yah march should be good... mobile is crucial, good call on the RV, things are usually variable/transitional that time of season.... what time of march are you talking??
hate to be 'that guy' but i'd put Kananaskis.... sh!t, any of the Rockies east of the great divide, onto your B list. If theres a low over montana producing upslope conditions off the flatlands then yah spend some time in the front ranges, but that's an outside chance.
The odds for decent riding in the Rockies in march, esp this year with such a rugged start, are better west of the divide (lake louise). Victoria, Popes, Narao, Cathedral, Field all offer sweet descents for day trippin, just off hwy 1. If they do get good snow bw now n then, the ice fields parkway is sweet, Athabasca, Andromeda are close to the road, Columbia is a huge slog but worthwhile.
By march the purcells should be healed up, the KHMR slack country is worth a few days.
Odds are better yet in the Selkirks, good info already on the Pass, and south aspects are often still good in march, Swiss, Rogers, Sifton, Griz, Ursus minor, Video and Balu all have eeeezzzy access fun fun south lines, Eagle also. Same wi Ursus major, Catamount and Bagheera, but they're a bit more work. All the peaks in the Hermit range have sick north aspects too, but getting back to the rv will push your daily dose to 6k' or more, and be aware the run back to the road might be sun crusted by late afternoon after a nice day.
West aspects are often cross loaded but Avalanche has a sick NW shot, and a good E face too.
Cheops has lots of smaller but g/nar N facing lines. Bonney big G/nar N aspect. Asulkan ridge has a fun east aspect, the Dome, Sapphire glacier and Jupiter's thorington route are mega classic NE, Abbot and Afton are fun too, tho there is some S to the E there. Youngs is also Classic, 7 steps are pretty mellow, N chute is full value. Green's N bowl is super... thats about 20 peaks, almost all of em you can shred from their summit, and sometimes you can hit 2 or 3 of em in a day, good value, should keep you busy.
RMR is worth a rip too, but theres not as much slack country as around KHMR.... good touring, but not so much worth buying a day pass for, unless the slack is ripe.... and that'll get shut down for the free world shred tour sometime in march too, for about a week.
Monashees yah generally a touch lower, warmer, deeper, harder to access.... unless you jump in with Eagle Pass Heli, Scotts crew gots the goods.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:57 am 

I feel dizzy from the info dump Karkis just off loaded...aye!

Have fun Bush....I'll be around the Kootenays and Selkirks mid March checking out some old stomping grounds as well.

Don't drop stinky loads in your RV.

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:37 am 

Karkis just blew the mind, thanks for the info. That will give me a solid 2 months of slacking off at work scoping lines. : :drool:

The two major things that peaked my interest on the way in were Bow Peak and Nareo Peak that looked to hold some pretty fun couliors real close to the road. On Rogers, I saw "Forever Young" trip reports, but I figure since its by the hut, it will be hard to beat a group into that, so may stay clear of there. And most of the other stuff I saw will require a bit more research to feel confident getting into, which is good, I like research. Coming into an area for the first time, you need to have your ducks in a row, so appreciate the information.

If conditions are good, we'll certainly do a few days at KHMR and/or RMR. Any idea if they do single ride tickets? That could be cool to access some of the sidecountry, but not do a full day pass.

I'll be there from 3/8/13 - 3/17/13. Skatebananas, JCM and Washwood are joining as well. Split party!

Oh, and one more importantly question. Whats the best beer for the buck out there? :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:59 am 

summersgone wrote:
Oh, and one more importantly question. Whats the best beer for the buck out there? :thumpsup:

MaaaaaaaN! I lived in Fernie for a season and it was expensive to get piss drunk on crappy tap beer....cheeba and bloomers were flowing like water...go figure! I literally remember yelling at a bar..."whos got doobies for Yankees!" within seconds a doobie just came out of thin air...Are Canadians Wizards?

Best option is to bring it across from Da Stat's, or look for the 22.oz bombers of Belgian crushers for 5 Loonies from Unibroue They're about 9%. They're Quebec so good chance they spit in your beer because...well...they're French and you're American...so we suck by default.

Long Live BC! I can't wait to get back.

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:40 am 

Mt Begbie Brewery is real delicious, but not real cheap.

I'll agree with Karkis, can't imagine the Rockies are going to be bomber come march this year. It was tough coming home from powder slaving @ Eagle pass where the Hs was 3-5+m to 1m in the rockies.

Have fun, maybe see you out there!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:02 pm 

I just purchased the guidebook from http://geobackcountry.com/ and looked through a few things, and it seems like a ton of information! Once I read a bit more, I'll report back. Certainly some fun up on Rogers pass to be had!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:54 pm 

Was just up in the area enjoying some in bounds and bought this book on Rogers Pass which looks very promising.

http://www.amazon.ca/Touring-Rogers-Pas ... 0921806299