Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to backcountry
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:05 am 

I have been backcountry snowboarding for the last two seasons on a regular snowboard with MSR snowshoes.(stopped buying a pass because I can't stand the lines!)

I am thinking about switching over to a splitboard but have a few questions. I ride mostly in Colorado and so far haven't run into too many days where the powder was so deep that my snowshoes were a big problem. I ride mostly with skiers and we tend to stay off really steep slopes due to the avalanche dangers here in CO. I was thinking of getting the Voile swallowtail as most of my boarding is done above treeline on slopes around 30 degrees or less.

Would a swallotail be worth the money? Or would I be better off with a more traditional shape? My thinking being that I still have my K2 snowboard for spring days and I really don't mind snowshoeing when you don't sink up to your knee.

Any advice will be helpfull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:12 am 

Where do you ride? My personal opinion is that a splitboard is better than snowshoes 99% of the time out here. It doesn't sound like your ski partners are doing much touring. Overall I would say that you can go either way.
My preference would be a traditional shape for your first split.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:31 am 

Mostly been up to RMNP and around Guenella pass and the area around Jones Pass. But looking to do more Summit county lines this year. I guess my question is will the swallowtail perform in breakable crust conditions (seems like that is the snow condition that is prevelant here in CO unless you can make it out right after a storm)

I am originally from a CA and miss surfing that was the real thought behind the swallotail.

Thanks again for any advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:56 pm 

If you are sticking to the open areas then a swallowtail or a big gun is fine. It should perform just as well in breakable crust as anything. Really though, you should be riding pow in Colorado 99% of the time. Breakable crust has been the exception not the rule in my experience.