Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Headscratching Outside Online Article
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:15 pm 

+1 this wave ski vid is a perfect illustration of why I LOVE one board (even though I did ski and do plan to ski again in the future)

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:26 pm 

The owner of Crystal mtns wife, Kim Kircher who is a ski patroller on the mtn wrote a post about this, and how inefficient snowboarding is, and how it was going to die blah blah blah. It looks like she backtracked a bit after sounding like an alta ski nazi

http://kimkircher.com/2013/02/14/reality/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:12 pm 

Am I the only one here that can identify with what PERUZZI is saying (well only parts of it)?

Quote:
The sport was invented by humble folk in the Midwest (by a friend's grandfather) and Vermont (by some older classmates of my wife), but it was adopted by Southern California. Actually it was more of an alien rendition than an adoption. Most snowboarders in places like Maine, Montana, and Colorado have little affiliation with the carefully cultivated image of "action sports." Then there's the ageism. Over 30 years old but still get out and shred? The industry lives in absolute dread of you.

Yeah I remember riding in Sorels (27 years ago). For me it was and always will be about riding powder, free-riding or carving trenches. To me, I never thought about being cool, and the snowboard industry left me back in the early nineties. When the industry went to youthful skating freestyle and has stayed has ignored its roots of backcountry and carving. For many years walking into snowboard, feels out of sorts, since I do not fit the demographic. I was never into the skull and cross bones skating scene. Or when I finally went for an advance snowboard lesson, the instructor look at me weird because I was riding hard boots (AT Boots) and with forward stance. Instructor said I should ride duck-stance and soft-boots. Needless say I shred just fine, did not learn anything new that day. :nononno: Or was laugh at for riding a true swallowtail (Nitro Retro) by punk-ass snowboarders.

Where I differ for PERUZZI's article: Snowboarding is not dying, it is in a Renaissance, where a small company of innovators (Voile, Venture, Jones, Spark R&D, NS, Prior and other splitboard innovators are moving forward and embracing it's backcountry roots! Note: I not ragging on freestyle or skating heritage influence. I just saying I got no freestyle-steeze and I have not never fit into the snowboard marketing demographic since the 90's and I am fine with that.

Noting also as a snowboarder that I feel discriminated by Alta's policy by a sterotype of snowboarder counter-culture that in my case is not true!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:16 pm 

I have the post she took down saved somewhere...

It was hilarious when Pedro del Fuego told her she probably was cool once but is now an old fuddy duddy :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:17 am 

saign wrote:
The owner of Crystal mtns wife, Kim Kircher who is a ski patroller on the mtn wrote a post about this, and how inefficient snowboarding is, and how it was going to die blah blah blah. It looks like she backtracked a bit after sounding like an alta ski nazi

Hahahaha! How "inefficient" it is! Who cares. Am I really that concerned about "efficiency". I mean, really. I thought I went snowboarding to have fun, and perhaps, on those rare days when everything comes together, maybe I even get to have a really valuable transcendent experience. It is probably most "efficient" to stay home and never go slide on snow, but how fun would that be?
"Efficiency" is for work, I do not want snowboarding to ever be work.
I have nothing against skiers, and am really glad that they have found their way back to having fun through the influence of snowboarding. Hopefully all this nonsense is finally going away, and we can all have fun together!

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:06 am 

The guy is a total kook and clearly doesn't know shit about snowboarding, but he's right about a few things. The older snowboard market has been completely ignored. They market to adolescents with mommy's credit card in hand. Not grownups who can afford to pay MSRP and don't give a flying fuck about the "Flying Tomato" or anyone else riding a halfpipe or sliding rails for that matter.

But if the guy actually checked his facts, he would find that overall, skiing is in decline too. Resorts and ski companies are pricing people out of the sport. More accurately, pricing the middle class out of the sport. Vail is charging $135 for ONE FUCKING DAY OF SKIING!!!! That's absurd!.

But back to snowboarding. Newsflash: IT'S STILL REALLY FUCKING FUN!!!! If you ever start to forget that, watch this: http://www.snowboardermag.com/featured/ ... ull-movie/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:34 am 

Peruzzi wrote:
[Snowboarding is] more dangerous than skiing: As a snowboarder, you're more likely to break a wrist or an arm

Tell me again about your ACL injury three years ago which helps you predict the weather now. And what's up with patrollers' poles? It's like a gang tattoo or something, they all cut off their straps.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:59 am 

This article really doesn't add anything to it. Snowboarding is not going to die off. No way.

The only point I agree with is the marketing of snowboarding. It really is just focused on kids leaving us older types out. A lot of people do lose interest when everything is marketed at kids, park rats, and people pushing the limits. That is something skiing figured out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:52 pm 

Killclimbz wrote:
This article really doesn't add anything to it. Snowboarding is not going to die off. No way.

The only point I agree with is the marketing of snowboarding. It really is just focused on kids leaving us older types out. A lot of people do lose interest when everything is marketed at kids, park rats, and people pushing the limits. That is something skiing figured out.

It seems like there are starting to be more tiny rippers on the slopes. For the longest time, people started their kids on skis. With the riglet boards, it already appears there are more snowboarding families out there getting some. This could be a good image in comparison to all the other stuff. And in the splitworld, there are literally 100 more boards, 10 more binding setups, etc, than there were even 3 years ago. Can't tell me that part of the market isn't growing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:20 pm 

802smuggler wrote:
Killclimbz wrote:

It seems like there are starting to be more tiny rippers on the slopes. For the longest time, people started their kids on skis. With the riglet boards, it already appears there are more snowboarding families out there getting some. This could be a good image in comparison to all the other stuff.

<------ The future of snowboarding at 5. I absolutely love the looks, comments, expressions she gets on the hill railing past skiers 3x her size.

But - and I wrote this to a skier friend who pointed me to the article - "The BIG thing the article misses is that none of the resorts are incentivized to teach the littlest kids. its NOT because the kids can't do it, its because its very UNPROFITABLE to have 2x the instructors to guide the groms through the first phases versus one instructor and 2X the kids in a ski lesson. Its as simple as that! Burton has been nibbling at this with the Riglet parks and now school gym class dryland programs, but they and the other large OEMs need to invest at the resort level to make sure there are new riders and for the rider parents to see it is not "necessary" to start them on skis, no matter how young. You see how hard it's been to get Keira coaching we fought to get it at N* and Squaw was hesitant until seeing her ride (sort of like the late-80s all over again). Yet everyone at Squaw knows her now and you've seen firsthand how many people stop us to tell us how awesome it is to see a little one absolutely ripping at her age.

Lastly, snowboarders typically ride more days per season than than skiers. Case in point, I have 17 days so far in a season with no snow - a lot of skiers I know haven't even used their pass yet. Snowboarding isn't going anywhere...."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:31 am 

I've been riding since 1983, it's still my favorite thing in the world to do. I grew up doing all three--snowboard, alpine and tele, but gave up skiing 20 years ago. Less fun.

The hyper-corporate X-Games teen-targeted marketing juggernaut of the early 1990s sucked--it dragged snowboarding in an unfortunate direction not its own.

Here's where the author misinterprets the evidence: The fact that resort and industry numbers are sagging doesn't signal a sport in decline, it shows snowboarding culture in recovery.

Finally.

Shrugging off the X-Games hangover, snowboarding is in the midst of a long-overdue and brilliant renaissance. But that's hard to see through the cork-bottle lenses of hater goggles.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:03 pm 

"...snowboarding is fun. And, ultimately, that's all that matters."

That sentence should have been the entire article.

Get back in your box, keep thinking your sport is better and we will probably do the same.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:22 am 

saign wrote:

I can't believe she had a chance to interview Robb Gaffney and only talked about the movie GNAR.