Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A Hug For Craig Kelly's mom
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:19 am 

Hi Janet, fighting back tears as I read these posts. I generally don't say much and really never post much of anything on here but when I saw this thread I knew I just had to say something.I will be 57 years young this June and had never been in the mountains or on a snowboard until the mid 90s.I was staring at 40 but felt like I was 20 again.Being a pretty good skateboarder from the Tony Alva era,a friend took me to the top of Lone Peak in Big Sky Montana,and said your going to love this snowboard thing. Well to make long story a little shorter, It changed my life forever!The peaceful powerful serenity of the mountains and the mountain lifestyle is something that most of us on here,and your son understood very well.The fact we are all blessed with enough talent and strength to "surf the mountain" is truly the icing on the cake.As the older guy looking to magazines and videos to learn as much as I could,there was that one guy I kept seeing and going back to over and over again.It was your son,the quiet cool one, with that flowing style,I still ride today with my back knee tucked in a bit, just like Craig.I think about him often,even though I never meant him,I,we, feel a bit of a connection,through snowboarding yes, but more so through the mountains them selves.I pray these words here and the words of others are able to somehow help just a little bit, get you through another day.The loss of a son or daughter is something only those who have went threw it, can truly relate to.So here is one big hug for you Janet! Savina and Olivia too. Peace and love to you all

Post subject: Re: A Hug For Craig Kelly's mom
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:23 pm 

I'm a bit younger then say Splitrippin :lol:
And I never met Craig or knew much about him til after he was gone.
But the way he lived his life changed mine forever.

In 2003 I was a severely depressed alcoholic with a growing prescription pill habit. I had a job which I was hating. I really had no direction in life other then wake boarding and partying as much as possible. I had started running with a new crew that rekindled my interest in snowboarding. At some point I picked up a issue of Frequency that had a review of a movie. That movie was "el camino real". I shot off a email to Brett and he sent me a copy of his movie. This was a documentary of Brett and Craig's journey from Alaska to TDF.

Holy shit! Growing up in a hard working Midwestern union family the idea that you could take two years away from the "real world" to travel the hemisphere in a van was mind blowing. It truly forever changed my world. And my outlook on what living really meant. That winter I took my avy 1 class in silverton Colorado and haven't looked back.

I still struggle with the responsibility of a Midwestern lifestyle VS the dream the Craig gave me of traveling the world. The traveling I have been inspired to do has cleansed my soul and opened my world.

This is already a long rambling story. And I'm having a hard time focusing with so many thoughts running through my head.

I will say with the utmost certainty Craig Kelly changed my life.
El Camino Real changed my life.
Viewing the world through a travelers eyes opened up my eyes to what life is meant to be.
I will never be same having a new dream for my life