Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Split Virgin-(terrible topic choice!)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:54 pm 

Hello splitters,

I have recently purchased a splitboard and I am in the process of booking my AST-1 course and acquiring the rest of the kit needed for some backcountry adventures.
Through reading the forums and spending as much free time gathering knowledge I have become extremely aware of the risks involved of backcountry riding.
Now my questions to the community of splitters are:
Provided I have completed my AST-1 and have all the gear(transceiver,shovel,probe,compass,maps etc) What is the best and safest way to begin my adventure into splitboarding?
How did you find your crew?
How do you know someone is safe to ride with?
Anything you think I have missed or should consider?

Thanks
SLASH

Post subject: Re: Split Virgin-(terrible topic choice!)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:00 pm 

Welcome to sb.com!

My advice is a few things
1) Go slowly into the mountains to find your comfort level, they aren't going anywhere. Step down two color levels too is a good basis for types of runs. So if you normally ride double black diamonds at the resort, ride what you would think is a blue. Black = Green. There is no ego there, just learning. Once you get more understanding, you can go out a bit more, but don't rush it.

2) I found most of my crew and good friends on this forum by posting and getting responses. And then over time, by talking and meeting people out there. Post on the conditions forums to meet up with people. Attend a splitfest if you can. There's a bunch of ones out there now probably close to you. Silverton splitfest is pretty fun, but I'm partial, I run it :thumpsup:

3) As for knowing if someone is safe to ride with, unfortunately you generally don't until you go out with them. Sometimes you can figure out a bit before based on what they say. But its good to know you can always back away if you feel uncomfortable. I've walked away from a group on a sidecountry hike one day because I simply didn't feel comfortable after talking to them for 5 minutes. All their bro brah shredding big bowls and getting rad talk on a considerable avalanche day, I wasn't about it. Ask questions, and always communicate throughout a tour on how you are feeling and your comfort level. And if someone is not communicating with you, that is a bad partner. Here is a good article on identifying bad partners I read the other day, that might find some stuff.
http://www.backcountry.com/explore/how-to-spot-a-bad-mountaineering-or-skiing-partner

Couple other things on meeting partners. Your first tour with new partners should probably be something that is pretty mellow. Even out of avalanche terrain. It's a feeler day, not something crazy with someone you don't know.

And don't forget the beer if someone is showing your around :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:22 pm 

Ya mention where you are located. Peeps from all over on this forum. You might find some that are willing to take you under their wing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:33 pm 

Also, splitfests attract noobs and first time riders like flies to a pile of.... free raffle gear. :guinness:

So go to one and you'll likely find lots of other riders to hook up with. Also, lots of peeps post in the partners wanted section looking for other splitters at their experience level...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:28 pm 

That's a tough one there buddy...but, every great journey starts with a single stride.

I've been lucky in that coming from the Midwest...I've taken most of my midwest buddies on their 1st tours, so I'm able to set the pace and choose the terrain.

And I've also been lucky to have good friends like Bonez, and HFT to ask me along on fun trips that up the "pucker" factor...probably cuz I'm a douche and say stupid shit...who knows...and many others whom I've been out with a time or two...lots of good people on here.

summersgone is right...go to a fest...don't be afraid to be new to this sport...embrace it..we all start somewhere, and if people bag on you for being green...well then they're just shit heals with a shitty ego problem...always be honest, and be your own harshest critic out there...it will keep you safe and you'll find good partners in no time...

Last note..learn to use your avy gear, and that map and compass.

RIP IT

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am 

Thanks for the replies!
Some good food for thought.

I have just moved to Revelstoke and attended my first Canuck Splitfest on the weekend.
Had an awesome time there and enjoyed the presentations(and raffle jefe009)
I'd have to say the overall vibe there was respectful and relaxed. A great dynamic of people sharing their passion.
I attended on my own and had some great conversations, most people were beaming and talking about their recent trips up at Rogers Pass and some of the local spots around town.

Hopefully i'll find someone to ride with during my AST-1 or at the local afterwards

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:02 am 

Don't rule out riding with a certified guide. You will get a feel for the terrain and learn much about planning and conditions.

For touring partners, you can tell if someone is a retard beforehand by searching online. If there is a picture on your facebook where you have Cheetos up your nostrils and you're smiling kinda sheepish, I'm pretty much never going to ride with you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:07 am 

Find a mentor. This is a good place. Observe listen and learn as much as you can from them. Read the avalanch/weather report daily to at least have some idea whats happening with the snowpack.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:09 am 

You have plenty of people in your area who Im sure if you ask wont mind taking you out. Do explain to them you are new so the skinning pace will be dialed back. Start looking at the avalanche reports in your area.

If you have any free time spend it here before your upcoming class

http://www.avalanche.ca/cac/training/online-course

that link is the best online avy training I have seen.

Try to volunteer with The Canadian Avalanche assn. If there is snow in a local area thats flat, go skin. Practice your transitions ect. When people look at you funny shot them the bird and tell them
"SPLITRIPPIN SAYS HIGH" yuck yuck...just messin with the Midwesterner,sorry.

Its a great sport, with lots of good peeps and you live in one of the best areas to do it. Im assuming your a young guy so just remember to be cautious, even after your 5th or 6th season when you really get it all dialed in remeber its ok to back down and you will have a long life ahead of you. Talk to the people in your town who have been at it a while and find out areas that are know to slide. Stay away

And last but not least .....if you get an offer to go out with a guy named Karkis ,stay away. hes freakin crazy!

Just kidding Super cool guy. Kinda someone you should model yourself after

Have fun, and get ready for some cold smoke on your face

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:32 pm 

In addition to the other great advice already provided I would add, PRACTICE your transitions. Get a system, get it dialed, and practice it so much it almost becomes second nature. :twocents:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg