Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2015 Gear Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:58 pm 

Taylor wrote:
Barrows, why? I have seen neither up close, but... The K-Prime looks overly complicated with with too much metal, especially the binding saddle. The Plum system seems far more elegant. I'd love to see a weight comparison but, by the looks of it, the latter system seems the bigger step forward.

Here are my thoughts: I have a hate relationship with Voile pucks, they flex annoyingly (I used to fire a ski screw through mine into the board, to stop the flex in the the toe to heel direction) causing poor board response, and they break occasionally, and they do not allow separate adjustment of stance width/setback and angle: every time you change the angle, the width changes as well.
I have always liked that Karakoram uses metal interfaces, but I did not like how large and heavy the interface pieces are, and there is no fine adjust on the stance width and setback. Now, with the Prime, the interface plates are much smaller and appear lighter, and they allow fine adjust of stance width and setback, and of course angles are a separate adjustment.
Most of the problems of Karakoram appear to be ironed out, IF the new heel risers work...
Plum is proto only, and there is no info on field testing yet, until Plum is actually selling bindings, they are a non issue. Say, where do they get their straps, while developing a good strap seems simple, it has taken both Spark and Karakoram a few seasons to get strap problems ironed out. I am skeptical that Plum will come out of the gate with a reliable and working system, but time will tell. As some have noted, their Tech bindings have not been problem free.

Anyway, of course, for myself I have no need of strap binding system. If I did, I would be on Karakoram Primes, but the Phantom system does everything better at a much lower weight as well.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:38 pm 

im not really interested in the karakoram's. the split30's ive seen in use would get iced up and took longer to transition, not to mention touring pieces breaking. Ill stick with my light rails thanks. If i upgrade it will probably be to Rangers or maybe tesla.

Id like more boot options too. Jones signs with 32? Most 32s ive seen break pretty quickly.

Nothing else has really excited me from what ive seen.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:28 am 

Excited to see what comes from the 32 boot/jones partnership. They are already the lightest boot out and cheap. So much room for development in boots for splitboarding.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:44 am 

Draizuh wrote:
im not really interested in the karakoram's. the split30's ive seen in use would get iced up and took longer to transition, not to mention touring pieces breaking. Ill stick with my light rails thanks. If i upgrade it will probably be to Rangers or maybe tesla.

Id like more boot options too. Jones signs with 32? Most 32s ive seen break pretty quickly.

Nothing else has really excited me from what ive seen.

Hmmm. I guess we disagree then. Personally, I much prefer the precise ride quality of the better board interface. I ride Phantom Bindings, and they also offer a much more precise interface. Like Karakoram, because of the close tolerances of the interface, and the fact that the binding is directly on the surface of the board, occasionally some ice scraping is necessary. This only happens in certain conditions, and when it does, a well prepared rider does about 15-20 seconds of scraping. I much prefer having a better interface, a better riding system, and an extra few seconds is totally worth it to me, to avoid all of the slop inherent in other systems.
I agree about the Karakoram touring bracket, it could be improved, but I have not seen one break (although I have heard the stories) from looking at it it appears that breakage could be caused by overtightening of the screws.

32 boots, hahahaha. A sneaker company, another toy boot company built in Asia. I very much doubt that they will come up with anything great, as they do not have the intellectual resources of a real boot company like Fitwell. I am sure they made a nice contract for Jeremy though, and the boot will probably be a good competitor for the Deeluxe XV.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:00 am 

32 Ultralight with a tech toe....sneaker comfort w/ hardboot efficiency

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:12 am 

barrows wrote:
I much prefer the precise ride quality of the better [Karakoram] board interface.

Please excuse the thread drift....

Just curious what your level of experience with the K'ram system is? I owned Split30s and your description of them does not sound familiar to me.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:57 am 

philip.ak wrote:
barrows wrote:
I much prefer the precise ride quality of the better [Karakoram] board interface.

Please excuse the thread drift....

Just curious what your level of experience with the K'ram system is? I owned Split30s and your description of them does not sound familiar to me.

OK: Objective bench tests of the Split 30 system vs. Spark/Voile Puck vs. Phantom Bindings interface.
Also, please note that the bulk of my comments here pertain to the new Karakoram interface, not the Split 30, which does have some limitations due to flex of the interface plates (although they do not flex as much as Voile Pucks do).
From a quick observation of the new Karakoram system, there will be less flex of the interface plates themselves, as they are now thick aluminum. Also, the new interface plates now overlap the board on both sides, eliminating any play in that dimension. We found with Phantom Bindings that this interface design results in a more precise ride.
I have also ridden with plenty of partners using the Split 30s or SLs and observed how much de-icing is necessary, it is not a big deal if the rider is experienced in doing it. A quick scrape of the edge and around the mounts on the topsheet takes care of it, and this is only necessary in icing conditions, around here, that is around half of the time. The rest of the time it is cold enough that icing does not occur. Of course, on sunny days, topsheet color does have its own influence on icing, Venture's black topsheets are a little more problematic than my mostly white Prospector.

In addition, both the Split 30s and the new system place the binding directly on the topsheet of the board, unlike the Voile system which has some space between the binding and board, allowing for slop. The benefit of the Voile interface is that the slop allows some space for ice so it requires less de-icing in conditions which are prone to that. My preference is for the more precise interface, and a few seconds of de-icing when necessary is no big deal.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:36 pm 

Got to check out all the fancy new shiny gear at the show yesterday. Definitely a renaissance for the splitboard world these days.

Karakoram's new prime system is super slick, seems like the new design will avoid much of the snow and icing issues. The new heel lifts are probably my favorite thing. Super easy to toggle back and forth, and the new heel lockdown is very easy. Can't wait to try them out on snow.

The new Spark stuff is cool too. Those hardboot binders are feather light and look bomber. Spark finally came out with a heel lock down! It's really easy to use and super simple design.

Venture has lightened up their boards slightly, and softened them a little by adding some aspen to their cores. They are also making a short, fat storm that should be really fun in deep pow and trees. Lastly, they have a NoSplit so you can skin up and NoBoard down. I gotta try it out someday.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:04 pm 

OK, so I have the Magneto baseplate Burner conversion and am interested in the HB binding to easily swap between soft and hard setup.

Seems the heel lockdown will only apply to soft boots (I am still stoked to hear about it) but there is no solution for HB. That is, unless I want to use Tesla system tour mode with HB, as opposed to Dynafit. While this could work (?) and is cheaper than DYna, it is inefficient lifting the plate binding every stride and what not...

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:40 am 

While i've only had a brief look at the karakorams (i've never ridden a pair, i don't have that kind of cash for binders!) the split30 style "pucks" seemed not suited to the maritime snow conditions we have down here. Gear should be tested down here because its pretty much the most variable place going!

That being said if anyone wanted me to demo the new K primes I wouldnt say no, the improvements look to fix the problems I've seen I just dont think i could justify the $650NZD + Clips price.

I think im also the only person not stoked on the hell lock down, i dont think ive ever felt the need to be able to ski.. might just be the terrain here, We don't have snow on flat terrain :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:57 am 

http://www.splitboardmag.com/karakoram-new-prime-system/
So there is a video on the page as well

Cannot see it functioning too smoothly even at the trade floor and with some snow buildup that may even make it harder?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:25 am 

Draizuh wrote:
While i've only had a brief look at the karakorams (i've never ridden a pair, i don't have that kind of cash for binders!) the split30 style "pucks" seemed not suited to the maritime snow conditions we have down here. Gear should be tested down here because its pretty much the most variable place going!

That being said if anyone wanted me to demo the new K primes I wouldnt say no, the improvements look to fix the problems I've seen I just dont think i could justify the $650NZD + Clips price.

I think im also the only person not stoked on the hell lock down, i dont think ive ever felt the need to be able to ski.. might just be the terrain here, We don't have snow on flat terrain :D

Haha, it's funny to critisize Karakoram for not being developed for maritime snow conditions. It doesn't get much more "maritime" than Mt Rainier and Snoqualmie Pass where the Klosters spend most of their time on snow. Our snow up here in the PNW is about as wet as it gets. If anything I'd expect NZ to have more Antarctic influence with greater range in temperatures.

I've spent time on Split 30s in just about every maritime condition I can think of from early season "cold" snow at 12F/-9C to spring tours that start and end at 32F/0C with sunny slush in between ice in the trees.

Icing was an issue the first time I took them out but like Barrows said, once you learn how to deal with it transitions really aren't significantly different and it's not a problem most of the time. Certainly easier to scrape the ice than skiers have digging it out of their dynafit fittings. I don't think there will be much difference between the Split 30 interface and the Prime interface in regards to icing.

I have also spent a lot of time on dynafit toes and voile pucks. I don't see icing or transition times as the deciding difference between the two.

I'm with you on the heel lock down, for my riding I don't see the need, I can split ski just fine with my heels loose and actually feel like my knees are safer with that degree of freedom.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:05 pm 

Looks like some improvement with the K setup, but nothing crazy. I wonder if that whole heel plate, heel piece can be interchanged with the current split30/SL frame. Icing isn't a huge issue even when its icy, it takes one minute to clean this, and if you cant spare one minute then you need to get back to the resort :nononno:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next