Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2015 Gear Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:12 pm 

SALOMON-- we are not skiers and only skiers would find the use for a 3 or 4 :nononno: piece split. I can ski and tour my fat planks just fine. Seems like a waste of energy to spend all that R&D effort and expense ona 3 piece when that market is considerable smaller than the actual splitboard snowboarders out there...

That ROSSI LOOKS SICK- love me some of that- the XV is a sickass board- what lengths did you see on hand? still only the xv they split?

sg- your right I looked at them to quick, the lower part is something he's using but they contain no plastic like the pics in that setup. Both riser wires face the same direction so there are no clearance issues. They are pretty slick

... if those are the K binders on the last page of the jones catalog we have got some shit to see! cause that is TOTALLY different from my baseplate. I think its a totally reworked heal lockdown and riser system. Spark strait killed it with there setup and the K brothers need to rework that uncooperative heel lockdown setup since I complained to them so many times :banghead: ALL these changes are making splitboarding more excellent! super stoked to check out all these goods! :lol: :lol:

seriously russman- that pic is like a playboy magazine cover- it looks good from the outside but we need to see more.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:46 pm 

cometogether wrote:
...and only skiers would find the use for a 3 or 4 :nononno: piece split...
??

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:17 pm 

Q. What is the main perceived benefit of a 3-piece splitboard?

A. Better ski touring.

Let's dissect that...

Better ski touring...what does that mean? Better climbing? Better floatation? Better side-hilling? Better travel over rolling terrain?

It's probably ultimately in the eye of the beholder but if I were to define it I say ski-touring is more about the ability to easiily travel over rolling terrain...and as a whole, the ascent performance is more important that the descent performance.

Having said that, I think one school of thought is...well if you're going to make a 3-piece splitboard to make the ascent easier...why aren't you making the skis shaped like skis to truly adhere to that design philosophy?

I'm not really sure if the problem they attempted to fix is really a problem at all. In the end, in my opinion, they made a splitboard that travels over rolling terrain (in ski mode) better that a traditional splitboard. The trade off is more moving parts, added weight, more production cost and room for errors, less stable in ride mode, less traction while steep skinning, and less flotation in deep snow.

I'm no genius but I can do the math. :)

Kudos for trying something new tho! :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:24 pm 

The only benefit for having a thinner touring ski is simply to follow a skin track laid down by skiers. The simple solution to that is to get up earlier to set it yourself on a splitboard! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:26 pm 

FloImSchnee wrote:
What's the purpose of an inner sidecut?

Sidehilling grip will be better with a straight edge.

the purpose for the sidecut would be for better splitski performance on rolling terrain, not for traverses.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:43 pm 

Cometogether- I only saw the XV on display but often times Reps won't purchase all the split samples to keep their costs down (Jones for example did not have any carbons or the youth board on display). I can't recall the size.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:38 am 

cometogether wrote:
[...]
... if those are the K binders on the last page of the jones catalog we have got some shit to see! cause that is TOTALLY different from my baseplate. I think its a totally reworked heal lockdown and riser system.[...]

Here is the catalogue I found: http://www.zuzupopo.com/xe/catalog/85843 I can't determine anything from that photo (p32). Wrong year?

edit: my mistake. here is the 2014-15, page 46: https://app.box.com/s/r0kko9kligutlm3ejoko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:22 am 

Here in Europe 3 & 4 piece splitboards seems more popular than in US.
I've seen that Phenix splitboards have a new hook system and they are also working on a 4p split.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:00 pm 

stu_w_d wrote:
cometogether wrote:
[...]
... if those are the K binders on the last page of the jones catalog we have got some shit to see! cause that is TOTALLY different from my baseplate. I think its a totally reworked heal lockdown and riser system.[...]

Here is the catalogue I found: http://www.zuzupopo.com/xe/catalog/85843 I can't determine anything from that photo (p32). Wrong year?

edit: my mistake. here is the 2014-15, page 46: https://app.box.com/s/r0kko9kligutlm3ejoko

That baseplate can only be a new K. It isn't the exact same as last years (and would you really expect it to be?), but it has the same basic foot print.

Come on Russell...Give up the goods! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:04 pm 

rughty wrote:
FloImSchnee wrote:

the purpose for the sidecut would be for better splitski performance on rolling terrain, not for traverses.

exactly, not everything is traversing when touring!

Bcrider, agree with you completely! :thatrocks:

http://www.splitboardmag.com
http://www.facebook.com/splitboardmag1
https://twitter.com/splitboardmag
http://instagram.com/splitboardmag

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:50 pm 

PeRi wrote:
rughty wrote:
FloImSchnee wrote:

exactly, not everything is traversing when touring!

Bcrider, agree with you completely! :thatrocks:

I don't get the point :scratch:

you're right, not everything is traversing when touring...
but if the traverse is strongly improved on a 3 or 4 parts (narrower & lighter skis+skins) and efficiency on rolling terrain is the same as a traditionnal 2 parts (straight sidecut) I only see benefits

for sure this board is made for steeper terrain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:31 pm 

Like I said once already, a 3 or 4 piece split is a quiver board, not a daily ride. I really only like to climb steep faces and ride back down them even though there are plenty of great traverses in my favorite areas. I don't care too much for pushing 130mm wide ski along on a traverse in the spring/summer. It's really not that big of a deal on pow days but when it's corn season a skinnier touring ski would be much nicer. Not every ice axe is a tool for frozen waterfalls and not every split board is only taken out on pow days.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:59 pm 

Perhaps the intent of the 3 piece splits is merely reduced foot weight on the climb. That would be a significant advantage alone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next