Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Canadian Powder Highway Beta
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:50 am 

Been following the weather up there for a little over a week, as we are going to be out there in about 3 weeks. Looks like you guys had a long dry period that created a facet layer, and getting a good amount of snow on top of it. This seems to create a very high avalanche danger right now. Reading the forecasts reminds me of our snowpack right now in SW Colorado, scary.

Anyone have any predictions if that facet bridge will stabilize or will continue to be a problem for a significant amount of time? I know BC's snowpack is an inter-mountain and not continental snow pack so its generally more stable, but facets can wreak havoc for a long time. I'm used to months on end of persistent deep slab instability.

Any hope for it, or thoughts on that main issue? Is it still manageable to ride in the trees anything with steepness (I know that's a subjective statement). For us here, previously, even trees over 35 degrees were sliding.

I'm just hoping we aren't leaving one persistent deep slab for another... :nononno:

Post subject: Re: Canadian Powder Highway Beta
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:55 am 

yah i dunno what to say...
that was a serious drought, like a month :shock:
but...
there were some inversions, warm temps in the alpine, mixed in with the freezing frickin cold snap
there were a couple of snowfalls of about 10 cms each in there too, cold smoke sure, faceted no doubt
there was surface hoar... but with the sun, some inverted temps, wind, it got some beat down and wasn't super huge in the first place... i saw some post of 'holy fuk we gots 7 cm Vs!!' yah sure, and a few years back there was 12-15cm Vs and there was still good times after those got buried.

yes that interface will be a persistent issue, no doubt about it.
but... we get that every winter, not the fukin month of no love, but Juneuary is not uncommon, buried surface hoar happens, persistent weaknesses yup... but its not Colorado. its not Alberta!

it of course depends on what happens from here on out, we did have a huge cycle a few daze ago and the forecast is all precip and mild temps

so i'll go out on a limb and say theres plenty of hope, its gonna be sweet az!!!
.... as long as you put safety third n shit, and drive safe!!