Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:30 pm 

because of the burton hole patern do you need to do anything special when splitting one and mounting the voile kit? or do you just use less holes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:57 pm 

You'll need to wear a face mask. The inserts will be useless with the Voile kit. You'll need to drill new holes for mounting.

You could cut the board twice around the inserts and to make the board skinnier. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:39 pm 

So, does anyone have advice on cutting through the inserts? Do you just blaze through them? Can you get a smooth edge after the cut? Can epoxy fix the potential damage?

I am strongly considering splitting my newly arrived $114 Burton Balance 157.7 eBay purchase. At this point, it is in better shape than my current resort board, and I can always keep an eye on eBay for a better split candidate.

Bottom line...are the inserts a deal breaker?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:41 pm 

48steps wrote:
Bottom line...are the inserts a deal breaker?

I wouldnt say they are a deal breaker, they just add a little drama. Hopefully jimw (or dacksdescents) will chime as they have firsthand experience with it.

Here is a pic of jimw's homesplit Fish. You can see how he had to cut through the inserts in the center of the board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:29 am 

That Fish looks sweet! I just picked up a Malolo and am super stoked on wanting to ride it! One questions though, and it may be stupid. Whats with the two vertical slats on both the tip and tail? I think I've see it on another DIY but can't figure out what they are for?
Also, anyone have suggestions on how I could set my DIY board up to be able to adjust the stance angle? I saw the pucks that they have on the voile site- the ones with the discs, I was wondering if I could just use the old bolt holes and pop those on? The guy at voile said it wouldn't work but I bet you could rig it up somehow. It would be great to adjust my stance according to conditions.
long post sorry-
rouge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:07 am 

bcrider wrote:
mergs wrote:
should he rip the custom instead? :? (canyon is billed by some as a "custom for people with big feet")

Who said anything about splitting a custom? I'd say the custom is a tad too narrow for him and it doesnt solve the fact that splitting a Burton is more difficult that a regular board with a four hole pattern. Also, 10.5 is barley considered "big feet".

For $75 bucks its a great deal if its in goood shape, it just might be a tad wide. On the flipside, maybe it will be perfect.

bc, sorry, my original post was a little less clear than i meant it to be... i only suggested a custom bc the canyon is sometimes "billed as a custom for dudes with bigger feet", at least that's what sales guys have told me on several occasions. since dfinn was looking at ripping a canyon, and you said it was too wide, i naturally thought of its "little brother", the custom. in any case, moot point... bc you're right about the hole pattern... i saw that post after i posted the first. s'all good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:11 am 

rouge wrote:
That Fish looks sweet! I just picked up a Malolo and am super stoked on wanting to ride it! One questions though, and it may be stupid. Whats with the two vertical slats on both the tip and tail? I think I've see it on another DIY but can't figure out what they are for?
Also, anyone have suggestions on how I could set my DIY board up to be able to adjust the stance angle? I saw the pucks that they have on the voile site- the ones with the discs, I was wondering if I could just use the old bolt holes and pop those on? The guy at voile said it wouldn't work but I bet you could rig it up somehow. It would be great to adjust my stance according to conditions.
long post sorry-
rouge

wrt the slats, if i understand your question, i believe thats where the voile binding plates go. note that the board has no binding mounts on it in the photo (probably to better display the fine cut job) ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:14 am 

No, I bet the slats are for skin attachment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:15 am 

bcrider wrote:
Here is a pic of jimw's homesplit Fish. You can see how he had to cut through the inserts in the center of the board.

yeah.. like the other posters, i'd be interested in more details on how jimw actually cut through the inserts? it must be dang tricky to cut them right in the middle. in fact, it looks like there is half an insert on the left board (the very top one) and the roght one is missing its "half". is there a change in saw blades to cut that metal is it just ripped with the same blade the board is ripped?

obviously i have no done a DIY split yet, but i have a custom with a blown edge i might experiment on :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:51 am 

Rouge,
The slots are for the Burton skins, they have a different connection than the Voile skins.

Re the kit pucks vs. the rounded pucks. Hopefully DJB will chime in with some clarification. I'd like to know why the same style pucks can't be used. My guess is because with production splits there is a specific hole pattern for the inserts used. Still, why cant the kit pucks have adjustability like the round pucks?

Re DIY. This thread might help a little.
http://www.splitboard.net/talk/viewtopi ... light=fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:24 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
No, I bet the slats are for skin attachment.

duh... you're right, i was looking at something else. my burton split had those slots... they are for the skins...

i think i need some slope time, ii'm really starting to lose it :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:25 pm 

dfinn,
My wife rode on a split burton fl for years, I ripped with a jig saw and switched to a metal cutting blade to go through the inserts. Later, I mixed up some epoxy and filler ( any kind of cut-up fiberglass) and filled in the hollws from th old inserts, mostly for aesthetics. I don't think you'll have trouble railing a board of that width especially if you are in the kind of snow you are climbing for anyway, plus you'll have better float.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:48 pm 

I thought those things were for skins! If you look at the picture on the voile site it seems to me that the bolt pattern is almost the same as a regular 4 hole binding mount pattern.

http://www.voile-usa.com/cgi-bin/plugins/MivaEmpresas/miva?plugins/MivaMerchants/merchant.mvc+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VEOS&Product_Code=1100-U&Category_Code=SB

I only want to be able to adjust the postion of my back foot so if I could do that without putting my board under the knife again that would be great. Plus it would only cost a bit over 20 bones to do so.