Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Never Summer Prospector 167W - Heel Drag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:09 pm 

Hello - I am new to splitboarding. I just moved up to a resort town (name withheld so as not to piss anyone off) where the season pass prices are too expensive to justify the mediocrity of the mountain. So I'm stickin' it to the man by hiking for turns. So of course, I dropped what would have been a season pass price on a new splitboard setup.

I have a Never Summer Heritage solid board (166 Wide) and LOVE the ride. So, logically, after reading several posts on this forum that said the Prospector was a good board, and given my affinity for its one-piece brother, I got a Prospector 167 wide, and set it up with Spark Afterburner bindings and skins.

What I didn't realize was the limitations that the Voile pucks place on your ability to move the bindings side-to-side on the board. Sure, you can adjust the insert holes you use to get some front-to-back adjustment. But the only way I can see to adjust the side-to-side is by altering stance angles. I typically ride about +15 degrees in the front and -5 in the rear. On initial setup, I realized that -5 in the rear was going to leave WAY too much heel overhang, so I changed it to -10 in the rear and hoped for the best. I have a size 12 boot, cram my toes in as much as possible, hope the boot linings pack out a little, all to avoid this sort of thing.

I took the board out for its first spin this past weekend. Skins, bindings, climbing - no complaints. Having never dealt with anything but the new Tesla system, I know I have nothing to use as a basis for comparison, but I can sense how easy this new system is compared to the pin systems. And the skins surprised me on how steep I could climb with grip to spare.

On my first descent, though, I quickly discovered the heel drag had been dreading. Uuugghhh. :x Booted out on steeper angles heelside. Toes seem to be fine. Now what?

I'm looking to see if anyone out there can present me with some fixes I might not know about. I realize I could go with steeper stance angles to help the problem, but I like the angles I have gotten used to riding. What else can I do? I also thought (20-20 hindsight of course) I should have gotten a wider board? The prospector only has a 26.2cm waist and the tail is narrower than the tip, which makes the rear foot worse than the front. I have been looking at the Venture Storm 171, which has a 27cm waist. I'd have to sell my current board on the used market since Backcountry.com (where I purchased the Prospector) would only offer credit, not a refund, for used gear and they don't carry the Storm.

So - Is there a fix for heel drag? Or do I need to start down the path of looking for a different board and selling this one? And if that's the case, any recommendations for a wide board comparable to the Prospector in flex, shape, durability, ride, etc? I'm 6'3", 215, size 12 feet, intermediate/advanced rider.

Other ideas?

Thanks everyone for the help. :)

Post subject: How are the pucks set?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:35 pm 

First, put the puck with the slotted holes that run parallel to the edge of the board on the heel side. This makes a pretty big difference in where the binding ends up on the board. Note that the pucks have an 'A' and 'B' orientation for the center disc. For bigger boots, try having the 'A' arrow pointing towards the heel edge on that the heel-side puck. The orientation of the toe-side puck (which will have the slotted holes perpendicular to the board's edges) is less important. Flip it around as needed to achieve the position that the heel-side puck dictates.

Start with that. Good luck.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

Post subject: Re: Never Summer Prospector 167W - Heel Drag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:38 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:48 pm 

Thanks Philip and Dave - but I have definitley already set up the pucks to push them to the toe side as much as possible - per the directions from Voile. And I'm still getting the heel drag. I'll check the setup again and tweak if necessary, but I think I've exhausted that option. Unless I mess with the stance angles more. I'm wondering what can be done when the adjustments available by messing with the pucks are just not enough?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:56 pm 

The furberg 173 measures 276mm front foot and 273mm back foot with a 590mm stance width. The furberg is a 270mm waist width like the Venture but with a 20m sidecut. Sick board!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:03 pm 

Have you adjusted your heel cup forward as much as possible?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:43 pm 

Darrick wrote:
Have you adjusted your heel cup forward as much as possible?

This. I did the same for my ABurners and it did the trick (except I moved them for sz 8 foots). Get you some locktite!
OH, and as for TESLA..http://gifsoup.com/NDYwOTA0MA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:52 pm 

smattison83 wrote:
I'm wondering what can be done when the adjustments available by messing with the pucks are just not enough?

Like Darrick said, move the heel cup on the binding forward on the base plate. Let's say you have a set of size large Spark bindings. The heel cup setting where the heel cup's rear edge lines up with the rear end of the base plate (like if the mounting bolts are in one of the 2 center holes out of the possible 4) should give you adequate heel clearance with almost any modern snowboard boot on such a wide board unless you have a really narrow stance and are straight across the board. Note that boot size does NOT matter on the heel side clearance with the heel cup set like this. In fact, a size 6 boot will have the same heel clearance as a size 12 if the heel cup is set in the same position in both instances. You are basically transferring the overhang issue to your toes at this point with big boots when you move the heel cup forward.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:55 am 

Thanks guys. I know I didn't mess with the heel cup settings yet. That might do the trick. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know if there are still issues. In the meantime, if there are other suggestions out there, please let me know.