Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Are you in-favor a Waxless Split-Ski Base as I have describe?
Poll ended at Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:59 pm
Yes 60%  60%  [ 9 ]
No 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: Re: Waxless Base Splitboard
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:58 am 

My wife demoed some waxless based Voile Vector bc skis this week. Her conclusion, great for the up, bad for the out. Too much drag. I was way ahead of her on the way out of a logging road on my AT skis (if I was not such a great husband and not waited for her, I could have been two miles ahead of her on a three mile road).

On a splitboard, this would be even worse, because you would have even more drag in the flats and low angle stuff that you came in on. Anything that you could climb with these would not be worth riding, especially with the amount of drag you would have on the descent. You couldn't even skate the flats in board mode, you'd have to switch back over. You couldn't enjoy any low angle turns, it would have to be pretty steep, but you could only skin up low angle stuff.

But I hope someone tries it and proves me wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:43 am 

Shredgnar posted:

Quote:
My wife demoed some waxless based Voile Vector bc skis this week...

Youré wife demoing the Vector Skis is quite relevant to this post:

Quote:
Her conclusion, great for the up, bad for the out. Too much drag. I was way ahead of her on the way out of a logging road on my AT skis (if I was not such a great husband and not waited for her, I could have been two miles ahead of her on a three mile road).

On a splitboard, this would be even worse, because you would have even more drag in the flats and low angle stuff that you came in on. Anything that you could climb with these would not be worth riding, especially with the amount of drag you would have on the descent. You couldn't even skate the flats in board mode, you'd have to switch back over. You couldn't enjoy any low angle turns, it would have to be pretty steep, but you could only skin up low angle stuff.

Would applying the waxless glide wax have helped the Vector BC Skis?

Example of rolling terrain I am referring to:
On the the way out of Peter Estin hut, we choose to the low-angle fire road back to the trail head. The route was 4500 drop in elevation over seven miles. However it was rolling terrain. It was frustrating to try to glide without skins in fresh snow, so the skins had to remain on. Hence a long slog out to the trailhead. This is where a just the right amount of waxless base would have helped.

So what I am looking for is to narrow and shorten the waxless kick-zone pocket . Hence just enough waxless pattern to maintain a forward momentum in low-angle rolling terrain and not impede glide, skating or turning down hill.

I don't really care about riding switch.

So hopefully a splitboard manufacture like Voile (and others) would be willing to refine the waxless kick zone pocket. It's going to take some R&D to get it right (many splitboards / BC skis) Sad to hear the Vector BC did not work. I know that the waxless base pattern has been refined over the year's; since Trak first strapped a Fish to a competitors skis at a trade show back in the early eighties (introducing their waxless cross country ski).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:36 pm 

IIRC when telemarktips.com was in business the waxless ski debate always ended up with the coastal moderate temperature guys who face a wide range of conditions in a single day (hour?) in favor of them (or at least grudgingly accepting their versatility) and the very cold weather or inland powder types opposed. And of course the wax snobs fulminating in the corner.

For splits, I cant see it around here (NH) but when I see pics or video of some of the approaches elsewhere....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:48 pm 

seems weird. i dont wax my split anyways,