Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Better to savor the mystery or surrender the secret?
Just the pics, let me savor the mystery of stumbling on to the zone 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
Pics and general location 75%  75%  [ 21 ]
Pics and tell me the exact location 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 28
 Post subject: Re: Better to savor the mystery or surrender the secret?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:42 am 

be happy your not in Colorado.... :nononno: LOTS of tay effect around here. luckily there is always somewhere else I've never been to. :rock:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:49 am 

The thing here in CO is that that there is always better terrain, and often better snow, a little farther out, where you will never see anyone else. Of course, you could also probably fit 25 Wasatch Ranges in the CO Rockies.
People should post whatever info they want to, and whiners should lighten up a bit.
Even in the Wasatch, an area reputed to be crowded, I was finding plenty of fresh tracks, in the most easy access areas, on weekend days… there appears to be enough terrain/lines to go around.
Now places like VT, that is another story and folks seem really secretive, of course the good spots are few and far between, if someone is really concerned just move out west. Someone used to the terrain in the west would laugh at what is kept secret in VT!
In CO the easy access spots get hit hard, as would be expected, but if you are willing to tour for an hour to get to the base of lines, you will have hundreds of acres of wilderness to yourself, even on weekend days, where you will see no other parties at all.

As far as TRs go, I like them to be inspiring and motivational. They need not be actual guidebooks, but some references as to where they are at is nice. I leave it up to the authors to divulge as much, or as little, as they want.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:43 am 

Ok Richard, whatever :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:27 am 

The ultimate spot blower...BING MAPS. http://www.bing.com/maps/
Whoa. So I'm playing around with bing maps to scout lines in North Cascadia and discover that if you zoom in all the way the satellite image switches from summer to winter or late spring. Snow covered in any case. Birdseye view lets you switch the compass perspective to view different aspects. Amazing.