Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any fellow splitters who are Ham Radio Operators?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 am 

My call sign is JG1XMV and my QTH is Tokyo normally.
I have a US call sign which is KD2AFE.

I have just set-up an echolink node at the place where I have a flat and where I do most of my BC riding (on some week-ends). So, if you have access to echolink you can contact me on JG1XMV-L. It would be pretty cool to get to talk to some of you on the radio while I am out there slashing some pow (hopefully). This is obviously assuming the time difference allows it.

I have set-up this radio relay as a safety measure with regards to comms in the BC. I'll be testing the propagation throughout the course of the upcoming season to see how it goes.

73!

Post subject: Re: Any fellow splitters who are Ham Radio Operators?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:44 am 

VA7JMI

Took a free course a yr ago. Just carry a portable in the backcountry and it's great for listening to Patrol when they are doing avy control on the resort. I've got a friend down the street w a good set up. Will try and find ya whenever I'm over at his place.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:15 am 

Hi Jamie,

looks like a bit of a rare combo (splitter +ham) since you're the only answer so far. To contact me via echolink you do not need much of anything, just a computer in fact. You download the program, register your callsign and then connect wherever you want in the world. When I am in the BC I will be connected to the repeater via my HT, hopefully the range will be decent. Time to test it out!

Arnaud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:42 pm 

LZ1DOG here. Used to participate in some contests years ago, but not much active recently.
The EchoLink thing looks interesting. I remember some people from my local HAM club doing something like this 14-15 years ago, when VoIP wasn't a word yet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:09 pm 

KF7MRV
I use it all the time in the Idaho Backcountry, Simplex and Repeater. I'd recommend any backcountry explorer to get a HAM license and radio.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:40 am 

Ah very cool, 2 more hams!

Love the DOG callsign, bulgaria? Yeah, Echolink is good to extend your range in places without cell coverage. Since it is linked to the internet you can inter-connect with other repeaters worldwide. Wife has a tablet with 3G and she can contact me from Tokyo with her tablet on my HT while I am out there in the mountains. Very flexible tool.

Yes Cory, I agree. I actually find that outdoors activities and ham radio are very complementary activities so I was hoping to find a few hams on this site. 4 so far, not bad!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:25 am 

Hey Jamie where'd you find that course? I'm interested in getting licensed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:11 am 

Hi Gormley Green,

I am not sure where Jamie got his free course but if you want to get your license you may want to check this site out.

http://www.arrl.org/licensing-education-training

Let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:26 pm 

Gormley Green wrote:
Hey Jamie where'd you find that course? I'm interested in getting licensed.

Whistler Muni put one on to get their Disaster Preparedness people on board. I was able to slide in.
I'd try here if you are in Squamton http://squamisharc.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:53 pm 

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:13 am 

I have wanted to get the ham license for awhile now. I`m a big shortwave listener and love taking the radio on my multiday rafting trips. Ive heard a lot of hams on the side bands; seems like fun. For backcountry use is the 10 meter band the way to go?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:38 am 

Hi Snowolf,

you should try and get it, it is a lot of fun. The 1st license called "Technician" is fairly easy to obtain and opens up a reasonable amount of access on the bands. The CW (morse code) requirement has been dropped so it is a lot easier these days.

Once in a while I get an SWL card from people who heard me talk to another ham, good fun. For the backcountry usually people use a handheld and access either the VHF or UHF portion of the bands. This gives you access to local repeaters and only requires a handheld. 10m is normally used for longer distances but usually requires heavier equipment + heavy batteries that you do not want to carry around when you're in the BC. Also propagation on the 10m band is touch and go and has not been great recently. December of this year is supposed to be the top of the solar cycle (estimated) then 10m is going to go downhill from there. That being said you can do some HF while out there hiking / camping, you'll just need more/heavier gear. Some people bring minimalist equipment and do some morse code while outdoors with a small paddle and very low power.

This an outing I did during the summer of 2012 with a friend where we brought up the radio gear to a mountain lake we hiked to and did some HF using 0.5W only.

http://www.japanpeuf.com/20120819b/thumb.html

So unless you are in a very deserted area, a handheld with access to VHF & UHF should be a good start with minimum hassle. I have set-up a VHF repeater in my flat and the propagation radius is probably around 50 km (dependent on topography, not perfect everywhere, so decent coverage. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:15 am 

Thanks, I will definitely look into the technician class. Got to admit that the Morse Code thing did tend to cause me to procrastinate. Gotcha on the UHF and VHF bands; makes sense.