Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: splitboard drilling
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:20 pm 

Hey,
I bought an older Libtech split and it hasn't yet been drilled. I live in Vancouver, BC. I was wondering if anyone knows where the best and cheapest place to get the drill and inserts done nearby might be? I also had a skier friend suggest that perhaps screwing the pucks straight on like a pair of skis might work. Any thoughts on that?

Cheers

Post subject: Re: splitboard drilling
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:30 am 

T nut it! Sorry I don't have any other helpful information unless you want to send it to Colorado. Is is already split?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:48 am 

T-nuts for pucks, watch the DIY video, you can do it yourself. You might as well purchase a drill if you don't have one they're handy. Once your tooled up you can split any board you can get your hands on...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:36 am 

Definitely t nut the binding pucks. Ski screws can work well for the touring bracket and heel riser though. I've seen them used on the binding pucks and they can pull out. You are gonna snap the board before you pull out a t nut. Ski screws for the touring brackets would be a great way to drill out the least amout of material.

I'm not sure who may be doing boards in your area, maybe shoot a company like Voile an email and ask if they know of anyone local to you?

We are actually about to post up a detailed DIY on the drilling of the board. There are also some great videos online as mentioned above. If you have access to a drill press and some drill bits, the drilling part is probably the easiest part of the build. It's the layout of all the hardware to figure out where to drill is the tricky part! Haha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:36 am 

Chair 2 Board Sports

DONT MAKE THIS:Ski screws can work well for the touring bracket and heel riser though.

M.M. only for climbing bar - NEVER for the Touringbrackets , this bad ideea can kills your upperbelt.

markus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:30 am 

burton wrote:
Chair 2 Board Sports

DONT MAKE THIS:Ski screws can work well for the touring bracket and heel riser though.

M.M. only for climbing bar - NEVER for the Touringbrackets , this bad ideea can kills your upperbelt.

markus

Quiver killers work for touring.... you dont need to t-nut them.....But they could rip out. I have had 2 boards survive so far. Anyway its what quiver killers are for. As chair2 says Tnut your pucks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:43 am 

Dont - for the Touringbracket s only Inserts - belive it ore not.

heli ore your quiver killers works only perfect in powder, notice - a DIY Splitboard have on this drilling point is no hardwood Stringer, the bracket is the importand thing on a splitboard.

bURTON

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:30 pm 

There are many people who mount the touring brackets with ski screws. When done correctly they dont seem to present any issues.

We do not use ski screws in our boards because when we send a customer into the backcountry we want them to have no way of anything pulling out. However for the DIY'er guest have been proven to have some success. If I were to do it, I would still use at least one tnut, just in case haha