Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A-frame tent trailer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:08 pm 

Any input on these new lightweight a frame bumper pull trailers. I've seen pics but never seen one in person. Hoping someone could shine some light - they look like a great way to head to Alaska.

Post subject: Re: A-frame tent trailer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:04 am 

I have looked at those quite a bit. As with all campers there are +'s & -'s. Since they are hard sided they will hold heat well & the limited space makes it inexpensive to heat(I'd guess). As with any camper - unless you are going to park it some place semi-permanently and really insulate it from cold you won't be able to have water inside. It doesn't matter if they claim 4-season or not. If you stay mobile your water lines will freeze in a place like AK. They are super easy to set up. They would be perfect for 1 person & occasional visitor but I would think you'd really have to love the person A LOT that you share it with full time. Gear storage is very limited but with some craftiness could probably made to accommodate most necessities. They pull easy & are easy on the gas bill for the tow vehicle. They are really expensive for the space you have but they hold resale value really well if you take care of them. The brands I've seen are Aliner & Chateau & don't know if there's much difference. Depending on your tow vehicle you may be able to tow a bile trailer tandem behind the camper - or - I've often wondered if a guy could put some kind of rack on top to haul a bile/gear on. There's a variety of sizes & some are too big to be towed by a car or smaller SUV. You see them at numerous locations & only take like 5 minutes to set up so the sales guys don't mind showing them off. I'd suggest looking inside & make sure the limited head space is something you'd be ok with for the $$.