Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Iphone seems to really hate the cold
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:02 pm 

I have an Iphone 4S that I use for photos and as a GPS/topo map viewer. I have noticed lately that anytime this phone gets cold it shuts off and acts as if the battery is dead. This isn't even super cold either, on a recent rafting trip, it was in the upper 30`s and the phone did this. Yesterday, it was in the 20`s when touring and within an hour, it was totally useless. Funny thing is when I plug it into a charger it comes right to life and shows accurate battery charge. Is anyone with an iphone experiencing problems with their battery and cold temperatures?

Post subject: Re: Iphone seems to really hate the cold
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:30 pm 

yup, same struggles with my ipod as well while resort riding. Often times I'll throw a hand warmer in with the device which seems to work wonders :scratch:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:22 pm 

Yes, if you are able to put it in a pocket that is near your base layer your body heat can help to keep it alive. Handwarmer would work too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:58 pm 

hmmmm....well you could..

A. leave your phone in the car

B. Huck that effin thing into the woods...if it returns to you...it's yours...if not...it was meant to be wild and set free.

Sorry...techno besides a beacon in the BC just seems silly...unless you're Bonez..he likes to update his Facebook while he slays mountain goat va jay jay :shock:

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:25 pm 

I keep mine in a ziplock baggie (to protect from moisture), in a pocket near my base layer (so that battery doesn't crap out), and in airplane mode (to save battery & beacon interference); and have had no problems with the battery.
In colder temps (25º and below), the camera lens malfunctions but that only happens if it's been exposed for more than a few minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:32 am 

SPLITRIPPIN wrote:
hmmmm....well you could..

A. leave your phone in the car

B. Huck that effin thing into the woods...if it returns to you...it's yours...if not...it was meant to be wild and set free.

Sorry...techno besides a beacon in the BC just seems silly...unless you're Bonez..he likes to update his Facebook while he slays mountain goat va jay jay :shock:

:thumpsup:

Oh I have been VERY tempted to do just that..... :mrgreen:

But, I do use it as my camera and I must admit to liking it for a couple of the apps for my topo maps (yes I do carry paper and compass as backup) as well as the fact that I paid a hefty price for the Iphone satellite phone adapter for an emergency call. I like having one device that is my camera, GPS, sat phone, etc. Just wish the battery was better.

Thanks Hans! I have been putting it in a small nylon bag with a hand warmer and that has solved my issue. I also do keep it in airplane mode or powered off when not using it for pics.