Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2014 Mt Baker Splitfest
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:06 pm 

The 5th annual Mt Baker Splitfest will be held March 28th to 30th, 2014. The plan is coming together and we're getting more sponsors on board. We are being hosted by Chair 9 again. There will be 2 demo tents and a beer tent this time after leaving a couple of vendors out in the cold last year. Meet & Greet is on Friday evening and the raffle on Saturday night. Last year we raised over $8000 for NWAC. Keep watching the Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MtBakerSplitfest, for raffle prize updates and the new website is up and running @http://www.splitfest.com.

Accommodations are up to the attendees as usual. Check out the FAQ page for places to rent and there is lots of camping in the area.

Cheers :guinness: and hope to see you there!

Here's the list of sponsors so far:
Voile
Karakoram
Spark R&D
Jones Snowboards
Venture Snowboards
Prior Snowboards
Never Summer Snowboards
Trapper Snowboards
K2 Snowboarding
G3
One Ball Jay
Frequency
Chair 2 Board Sports
Tailgate Industries
POW Gloves
Outdoor Research
O'Neill
And of course Splitboard.com!

Post subject: Re: 2014 Mt Baker Splitfest
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:34 pm 

Best event of the season!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:20 pm 

ill be there. :disco:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:47 pm 

We'll be back again with our truck camper. Can we still park overnight in the campground? Stumble distance from Chair 9 :guinness:

Pray for snow.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:56 pm 

Any updates for those of us holdouts not using Facebook?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:38 pm 

prior_rider wrote:
Any updates for those of us holdouts not using Facebook?

You're right, it's time to update this thread. I'm still waiting for official word on the campground.

The following companies have confirmed they will be doing demos: Voile, Karakoram, Spark R&D, Prior, Trapper, Arbor, Jones, Never Summer, Chimera, Venture, K2, G3 and Komperdell. Salomon is thinking about demos too but has not committed yet.

A new sponsor this year is Kulshan Brewing. They are donating a keg and all proceeds from that will go to NWAC! It's the best of both worlds, beer and a donation!

American Alpine Institute will be there with avalanche kits (beacon, shovel, probe) to rent so there's no excuse to be in the BC without the right gear. AAI also rents splitboards if you want to make sure you have a full setup ahead of time. Here is their price list: rental prices
And if they don't have any kits available Glacier Ski Shop also rents avy kits, they open early and are just down the road. Glacier Ski Shop also has splitboards and splitboard hardware/poles/skins/etc to rent. Here is their price list: rental prices
Let's make sure everybody has the right gear to be out there this year.

And for you Facebook holdouts, check the website occasionally. I'm using the blog on the site for updates and will begin highlighting raffle items as they start coming in. http://splitfest.com/

Here's a small version of the poster. I just finished this on Sunday so I'm not that far behind on an update. :)

For the full poster in all it's glory click here: BSF14_poster_final.png
And if you want to download it to print it out here's a PDF version:BSF14_poster_final.pdf. Feel free to print it and post it at any place willing to have it.
Fair warning these are large files.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:30 pm 

Hi,

I am new to splitboarding and would like to know if it is easy to get a demo and if the event is accommodating for folks who show up by themselves. I meant to buy a splitboard last year but ended up on AT skis instead :oops: . Learned how to ski, realized it'll never be as fun as boarding, and now I still want a splitboard! I really want to demo them, bindings especially, before I buy a setup. And are ski skins usable on a splitboard?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:06 pm 

Gormley Green wrote:
We'll be back again with our truck camper. Can we still park overnight in the campground? Stumble distance from Chair 9 :guinness:

The campground will be available for those looking to camp!

unsunken wrote:
Hi,
I am new to splitboarding and would like to know if it is easy to get a demo and if the event is accommodating for folks who show up by themselves. I meant to buy a splitboard last year but ended up on AT skis instead :oops: . Learned how to ski, realized it'll never be as fun as boarding, and now I still want a splitboard! I really want to demo them, bindings especially, before I buy a setup.

There are lots of people at the event that are new to splitboarding. We're a fund raiser for NWAC but it's also a goal to get people out that are interested but want to try it first. There's even a splitboard 101 class on Saturday morning.

Demos are pretty easy to get. Hardware (skins/bindings/etc) tends to be the limiting factor for the demos. Demos are setup the night before at Chair 9. If you want to guarantee a setup you may want to rent one before hand. See my earlier post for a couple of rental places.

To find a group to tour with come to the meet and greet/avy discussion on Friday night. Also The Heather Meadows lot in morning will have a bunch of people to meet up with too. It's a pretty friendly bunch. I lead a group we lovingly call the "Clydesdales". We're big and slow but we keep going. :)
unsunken wrote:
And are ski skins usable on a splitboard?

There are a couple of threads on here on how to modify ski skins to work on a split but I don't have any experience doing it. If you're lucky you might win a set of skins in the Saturday night raffle. :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:32 pm 

Me and a buddy are looking for a ride from the Rossland/Nelson area in British Columbia.

Shout if ya got room for 2 dirtbags and there gear-will obviously chip in for gas.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:48 am 

For those of you not on Failbook ;) here's a repost of what's happening.
Quote:
Wondering what’s in the raffle? Here’s a partial list that should make you drool.

• Splitboards from Voile, Jones Snowboards, Prior Snowboards & Skis, Trapper Snowboards, Never Summer Industries, GNU, Salomon Snowboards and ARBOR SNOWBOARDS!
• Bindings from Karakoram and Spark R&D.
• Skins from G3 Genuine Guide Gear and Voile.
• A FULL BC kit (pack, beacon, probe & shovel) from Backcountry Access!
• Packs from Arc'teryx, Jones and Sierra Designs.
• Outwear from Outdoor Research, O'Neill and Flylow Gear.
• 80 pounds of One Ball Jay wax!
• Softgoods from POW, FlyLow, Venture Snowboards, OR, DISIDUAL CLOTHING, Verge Goods, Tailgate Industries (Gondoms!)
• And much, much more!

For full information on the raffle go here: http://splitfest.com/raffle/

Quote:
Wondering about demos? We have a record number of companies doing demos this year! Watch this page for instructions on how to reserve a demo. Here are the companies planning demos and a couple of other nifty items.

Boards:
• Voile
• Jones Snowboards
• Prior Snowboards & Skis
• ARBOR SNOWBOARDS
• Trapper Snowboards
• Never Summer
• K2 Snowboarding
• Chimera Snowboards
• Venture Snowboards
• Weston Snowboards
• G3 Genuine Guide Gear
• Lib Tech, GNU will be there with a couple of boards too

Bindings:
• Karakoram
• Spark R&D
• Voile

Other companies attending:
• American Alpine Institute will be doing beacon/probe/shovel rentals. Don’t go into the back country without the proper equipment.
• Komperdell will be doing pole demos. Last year they had a great deal on poles.
• Tailgate Industries will have some goggle cases for sale.

Other items of interest:
• Ranger Splitboard Bindings will be there showing off their new bindings!
• Kulshan Brewing Company and Elliott Bay Brewing Co. are donating kegs so every beer sold from those kegs is donated. Drink up! :guinness:
• We have 100 copies of the very first frequency The Snowboarder's Journal to give away.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:28 pm 

steepanddeep wrote:
Me and a buddy are looking for a ride from the Rossland/Nelson area in British Columbia.

Shout if ya got room for 2 dirtbags and there gear-will obviously chip in for gas.

Thanks

I got room but i'm coming from vancouver. i'm looking for a riding partner myself. Cheaper accommodations would be nice otherwise i'm just gonna camp.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:12 pm 

I'm bringing down an unused this years Never Summer SL 161 split if anyone is looking for a new deck - $500, awesome trades considered. Just the board, no hardware or anything.

Very stoked for another Splitfest! See you at the bar.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:40 pm 

Hey there,

Thanks a lot for the organization. This would be my first Splitfest... if I can get a bit more informations.

Is there some sort of meeting point at the ski area or something? Not so familiar with Baker's backcountry...

Also, I'll be leaving tomorrow morning from downtown Vancouver if anyone want a lift...

Cheers,

Laurent