Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite old gear thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:58 am 

This morning when I put on my favorite old Patagonia fleece pullover I suddenly realized I've had it 15 years. So then I started thinking about my other favorite reliable old gear. What faithful old stuff do you all have, whether retired or still in service?

I wore the Patagonia jacket nearly every day for 5 months while I was hiking the Appalachian trail in 1998. Granted, afterwards I lived in Texas for a decade and it just doesn't get that cold down there, but it's pretty incredible that I have and still regularly use this thing as my cold weather midlayer...

And I have one other item from that same 1998 trip, also still in service.

My Arcteryx Bora 80 pack was the first internal frame pack I ever owned, everything before it was boy scout style external frame packs. I still remember, I paid over 500 bucks for it and was completely freaked out to spend that much on a backpack. But I wore it literally every day and carried it through nearly a dozen states. Then 6 years ago I used it in Peru hiking from Cuzco to Macchu Picchu. Some coca farmer's kid stole a couple of buckles off it, but I replaced them when I got home and I still have this thing. And I'll still use it for anything longer than a weekend trip.

To this day I LOVE Arcteryx and Patagonia and don't mind paying for them. Bomber.

Now let's hear about your old faithful items...

Post subject: Re: Favorite old gear thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:38 am 

I had a Dana Terrraplane that I purchased in 1995, while working for the Appalachian Mountain Club in New Hampshire (I worked in the huts for a a couple of seasons in the late 1990s - maybe I saw you pass through on the AT chrishami). Anyway, that pack went on countless backpacking trips in New England and the Sierra, I guided with in one summer in the Whites, and it went with me to South America, New Zealand, Italy, Greece (once in 98 and once on 2010) and Turkey, and was my faithful pack for a five month trip to Thailand, Nepal Laos and Cambodia, right before I moved back to the west in 2007.

It was an amazing pack and I truly loved it - it just started to seem too heavy, and I finally passed it on to another Dana lover about a year ago.

What a well made piece of gear!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:07 pm 

Ode to Good Ol' Hat-
My favorite hat! 16 years old and doing it's job even better than when it was new (if you consider it's job was to be breathable and shade your face). It's been around the world and on all my backcountry adventures. It's stayed on my head during crazy mountain top winds and flipping rafts. Always a good conversation starter. I can't just throw it away. Only a force of Nature could cause an appropriate farewell. Someday wind, water, fire, earth or animal may take Good Ol' Hat away and I'll just smile, feign a tip of my cap to it and bid goodbye.

Chris- We have the same exact Bora 80 backpack as well. Still going strong!

Whenever I look for gear, I prefer to do some research and get EXACTLY what suits my needs and what is going to last. I'd prefer to pay a bit more for that, then get something cheap that isn't going to do the job. Because of that, I have a lot of gear that's been around for 10-15 year at least.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:34 pm 

My wife has a pair of Salomon boots from 1991-1993 max, still in service but very worn.

When we moved from Europe I left almost everything and parents tell me my gear was stolen. I only had some clothes with me, and my horse leather jacket from 1995-ish got donated to a homeless person last year, still in very good used condition.

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:08 am 

I backpacked the grand canyon when I was 9 in '95 and my dad got me an REI 30 degree down sleeping bag that I could "grow in to". Its still my go-to for three season camping.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:55 am 

MountainDog wrote:
Ode to Good Ol' Hat-
My favorite hat! 16 years old and doing it's job even better than when it was new (if you consider it's job was to be breathable and shade your face). It's been around the world and on all my backcountry adventures. It's stayed on my head during crazy mountain top winds and flipping rafts. Always a good conversation starter. I can't just throw it away. Only a force of Nature could cause an appropriate farewell. Someday wind, water, fire, earth or animal may take Good Ol' Hat away and I'll just smile, feign a tip of my cap to it and bid goodbye.

This one really made me smile! Awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:37 am 

that hat has done some touring!

cool picture.