Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Splitboarding Seattle
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:06 pm 

My wife and I are looking to leave sunny San Diego and get more into the mountain scene. We are tired of the 8-10 hour drives multiple times a month just to be in some decent snow. As of right now, it looks like Seattle has a good chance to be our new home. Anybody have any split experience in the area? We are really hoping to settle north of town, towards the mountains. Believe it or not, this has a huge impact on where we will move!

Post subject: Re: Splitboarding Seattle
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:39 pm 

Nice, I sooooo believe it. My wife and I lived in SD for 5 years before moving to Portland, then we moved temporarily to Seattle. Love it here, lots of good stuff to tour around here. I end up driving up to 6 hours sometimes to split, but that's if I'm heading to Adams or Central OR or something. Lots of stuff within 1-2 hours of Seattle.

What's really nice about living here as a splitter is the great variety of terrain. There's easy pow laps, big ass volcanoes and everything in between.

PNW all day all the way!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:37 am 

I left San Clemente 4years ago with my wife. We live in Bend, Or now. I split regularly throughout the winter. Are you looking for close proximity to resorts and hiking terrain? Or just mountains to hike and shred?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:54 pm 

A little bit of both I guess. I think it would be nice to be close to some zones that might be accessible for a couple hours after work kind of thing. Im aiming more towards north Seattle, but we will see with in the next couple days. We will be spending some time checking out the area.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:36 pm 

I live in Seattle (right in the middle of the city, Greenlake) and have been splitting around here for about 5 years. There's plenty of good splitting as close as (early season) Snoqualmie Resort (one of the bases is closed until well into the winter) that's 45 minutes away door-to-door. About one minute away is the Alpental Resort (part of Snoqualmie Resort) backcountry. That can get a little crowded with people, though. But, you'll meet a ton of ski and board tourers. There's lots of great options around Mt Rainier and that's 1.5-2 hours away. Up north towards Mt Baker is great, too, and also only 2 hours away. You can even split at Crystal Mountain Resort through the resort into the area backcountry. Obviously, there's countless places to go around here. It just depends on how far you want to drive.
I will say, though, and hopefully this will open up some like-minded people to me, it is NOT easy for me to meet splitboarders/skiers that just like to find powder even if it's low-angle and mostly just want to take it easy(er). I seem to meet up with guys who want to break out full climbing gear and just want to summit a peak as fast as possible. And the way down is just an afterthought. I'll specifically post on a forum that i'm looking to take an "easy day lapping the deep stuff." I've heard from a few people before, though, that the Seattle area somehow breeds one-uppers in the backcountry. That being said, i'm hoping that this year will be different for me. It's always still fun!
I'm always down for splitting if you are looking for partners!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:41 am 

JNK- Thats what I like to hear! I love all the options Im starting to find out about around here. As for as splitting and touring, Im always happy no matter what Im doing in the snow. I think too many people have been watching Jeremy Jones movies (Deeper, Further, and now Higher) and now feel like they have to be "super gnar" with their splitting!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:39 am 

I live in Seattle as well (Ballard), and JNK sums it up quite nicely. I would add that there really are some beautiful, "world-class" backcountry tours in the North Cascades (i.e., the Forbidden Traverse), that are worth checking out. Martin Volken, and the folks from Pro Guiding Service put out a very nice guide to backcountry skiing/snowboarding routes in Washington ... it is worth getting!
And unlike all these folks from Colorado that drive up to 13,000 feet to climb a 14-er, in the Puget Sound area, we actually have to put effort into it :P
- Colorado friends, I was kidding -
JNK also touched upon something that is worth noting, and that is my impression that Seattle is a socially odd place; folks here are friendly, but non-committal, so finding partners (for anything) is problematic.
With that said, if there are folks in the Seattle area that are up for it, let's get going.
-Patrick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:57 pm 

Brian_Hoad, come to Seattle! You won't regret it (provided you don't mind cloudy skies for the majority of the year). The Cascades are amazing. I think the touring options here are endless. We have everything from chill, low-angle stuff to pucker-inducing lines. The northwest seems to breed hard-core climbers, boarders, skiers, etc., which is awesome, but I don't think you'll have a problem finding folks that like the mellower stuff.

Jefe009, pmoore, and JNK nailed it. Let's get together and get some turns in this season!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:10 am 

Agreed!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:26 am 

Yes, agreed!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:35 am 

Brian_Hoad, another resource to get you familiar with the terrain is:

http://www.alpenglow.org/

It is written from a ski-tourer's perspective, but good places, written up, to check out.

-Patrick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:05 pm 

Thank you to everybody who gave me some insight on the Seattle split boarding scene, but it looks like the area is not for us. We enjoyed out time visiting but our hearts are sending us to Denver, Colorado!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:49 pm 

Have fun with the weekend traffic!

kidding, but not. ;)