Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Got no Steez....
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:04 am 

christoph benells wrote:
It helps me out with jump turns for sure, and in tight situations and on the out track pumping through the woods.

I will challenge any of you in a jib off in my my hard boots and I gaurentee you i will win.

I'm up for some hard booted, fun competition this winter. An evening at ski bowl perhaps? I would love to see some buttering, presses, etc going down in hard boots. Seriously. That would be fun :-). More seriously though... My universal crampon popped off my soft boots on the traverse below crater rock a few weeks ago. Just seconds after I stopped to address the crampon/soft boot situation, a keg+ sized ice boulder tumbled about ten feet in front of me and down into White River glacier. Fu#$ing scary! A loud F bomb spewed out from my being. But I was alone on the mountain with no one to enjoy the moment of fright with. I tried to simultaneously reattach my crampon and keep my eye above for what might rain down the mountain next! I really was wishing I had some boot with a stiff sole at that moment in time.

In my humble opinion... Nico Muller has the aesthetically pleasing riding style of any snowboarder ever... casual, effortless and he makes the difficult look easy. I believe that looking relaxed and in complete control is good style.

I have to agree with Barrows on keeping arms low, relaxed and ready. Compare Joel Parkinson's surfing style (arm down low) to that of Mark Richards (MR). MR was an epic rider for his time (and still rips). But the fact that MR learned to ride on a single fin surfboard rather than a modern 3 fin thruster setup, really affected his style in a negative way. MRs single fin style limits the way he surfs and changes the way he reads waves. With a single fin board, it is difficult to draw out and carve a nice arc. Our equipment does affect and limit what we can do as well as how we do it.

More snow is forecasted for the cascades soon... correct? :-)

Cam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:25 am 

saign wrote:
christoph benells wrote:
It helps me out with jump turns for sure, and in tight situations and on the out track pumping through the woods.

I will challenge any of you in a jib off in my my hard boots and I gaurentee you i will win.

Really? I got some beers, that says I can still jib with the best of em :guinness:

Your photos ain't working, but I'm down.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:47 am 

cameron wrote:
christoph benells wrote:
In my humble opinion... Nico Muller has the aesthetically pleasing riding style of any snowboarder ever... casual, effortless and he makes the difficult look easy. I believe that looking relaxed and in complete control is good style.

+1

Also, anyone ever noticed that Muller and Tom Burt have the same back rodeo arm in effect when they're shredding pow? I personally love how it looks....like they're riding a bull down the hill.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:28 pm 

My favorite has always been dirksens arm...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:38 pm 

Josh Dirksen knows how to turn.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:03 pm 

christoph- anytime you wanna jib down, lets!! :thumpsup: I spent some years playing in the park and the one thing all the jumping and jibbing has taught me is the ONEness with my board, its not just connected to my feet, it is an extension of my body, so I can butter press, nollie spin, 270, bluntslide even, whatever, it just gives you that power to know you can control the board in almost any situation. It really helps you learn the traits of the snowboard in an expressed way. And now I am looking to cab down cliffs and Ollie rocks, slide logs over uncovered terrain, just be able to handle anything in your way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:21 pm 

christoph benells wrote:
saign wrote:
christoph benells wrote:

Really? I got some beers, that says I can still jib with the best of em :guinness:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/104964719@N03/10547829625

http://www.flickr.com/photos/104964719@N03/10547726255/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/104964719@ ... otostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/104964719@ ... otostream/

Your photos ain't working, but I'm down.

Maybe at this years splitfest in pdx we should have a jib contest everyone who enters brings a 6 pack, either winner takes all or if there are enough entrants we could divie up the prizes :guinness:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:49 pm 

Quote:
Christoph Benells: My favorite has always been Dirksen's arm...
Quote:
Barrows Josh Dirksen knows how to turn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:00 pm 

Powder_Rider wrote:
Quote:
Christoph Benells: My favorite has always been Dirksen's arm...
Quote:
Barrows Josh Dirksen knows how to turn.

Sick style by Dirksen... hanging out with the original Mr Pipeline can only help. Dirksen has a low front arm with the rear arm rudder.

Gerry looking relaxed and poised in serious surf.

+1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:23 pm 

saign wrote:
Maybe at this years splitfest in pdx we should have a jib contest everyone who enters brings a 6 pack, either winner takes all or if there are enough entrants we could divie up the prizes :guinness:

For sure, I was already thinking hard boot vs. soft boot big air contest, but some jib features would just up the ante... 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:10 pm 

Im hella down to have a jib contest with some splitters I bet that shit would be SO FUNNY!!!

HB outdoing softboots on rails- NO FUCKING CHANCE- (even in walk mode :lol: ) sorry dooode... :nononno:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:25 pm 

cometogether wrote:
Im hella down to have a jib contest with some splitters I bet that shit would be SO FUNNY!!!

HB outdoing softboots on rails- NO FUCKING CHANCE- (even in walk mode :lol: ) sorry dooode... :nononno:

I'll bet "the other Jeremy Jones" in hard boots would beat any soft booter on this site.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:46 pm 

Jefe009 wrote:
saign wrote:

For sure, I was already thinking hard boot vs. soft boot big air contest, but some jib features would just up the ante... 8)

:headbang: Yeah :headbang:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next