Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pre-Season Preparation
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:04 am 

Oh, and stop skateboarding for the winter/spring (can't afford risking an injury to mess with the snowboard & backcountry season). Call me a wimp but I got manage the risks both on the snow and off.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:12 pm 

I ride the bike,and wear my boots around the house a few hours a day to re-mould them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:32 pm 

Lots of good stuff here, not a fan of running. I like the Shawn Palmer approach... Skate, mnt bike, moto and work on my alcohol tolerance.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:46 pm 

aksltxlt wrote:
Lots of good stuff here, not a fan of running. I like the Shawn Palmer approach... Skate, mnt bike, moto and work on my alcohol tolerance.

That last part you can actually do with Palmer if you hang out at turn 3 enough.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:00 pm 

Being 41 y.o., and wanting to still progress my riding and touring, I just do tons of heavy weight training: squats, deadlifts, leg press, one legged squats, box jumps, and other explosion core exercises. I only weight 143 lbs so my focus has been on building more mass in my legs since I have to carry higher amount of weight than most given my body weight to gear ratio. I don't do shit for cardio in the summer. There's no need. Cardio is like riding a bike. A few days out and those alveoli are fully tuned.

So personally, I think it's best to focus on explosion and power before the season with minimal cardio...and of course, beer. I'm sure the best approach for a heavy, thick guy would be different than my skinny ass.

And lots of saturated fats before touring!!! (butter, avocado, grass fed meat, raw eggs) I just found out the key to longer tours is lots of fat in the morning with carbs & sugar during the day to sustain it.

And fuck running!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:32 am 

running is fun. I started to climb again. i've been beating off with my left hand to work on coordination, maybe it well help me ride switch this year.

I kind of don't understand people that splitboard but don't like running. or at least trail running. Everyone likes hiking for the most part, so why not enjoy covering a lot more terrain in one day with really fun downhills? doesn't make sense to me. that being said, fuck running on the road or in the gym. also fuck the gym.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:02 pm 

I only run, when chased. :wink:

I'm glad the snow is back. I don't think my body can take anymore concrete and hard pack impacts.

Here's to strong ales, hot toddies, and soft landings :guinness:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:09 pm 

wasatch surf wrote:
i've been beating off with my left hand to work on coordination, maybe it well help me ride switch this year.

That's funny shit right there. Different stokes for different folks. It's the spice of life.

Bike uphill. Reward is a fun downhill ride. Worth it.
Skin uphill. Reward is a fun downhill ride (duh). Worth it.
Both especially when you throw in any pucker factor and come out the other side unscathed.

Run uphill. Still alot of work running downhill, and not 'fun' IMHO. I've been more beat down (sore muscles, feet, etc.) from hiking / running downhill than up at times. But no debating its great prep for the split...

Skating is just plain fun, as is pickup hoops, etc. As has been said though, I usually end up getting hurt that way, since my warranty is expired. (Over four oh). Gotta manage the risk these days.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:56 pm 

Box Jumps!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:00 pm 

Reviewing my avalanche handbook and notes - and hoping that "fuck running" becomes an Olympic sport :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:29 pm 

There was a YouTube series on just this subject last year with some Jones riders Mitch Tölderer and wife Bibi. Here's the first. . .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:38 pm 

HansGLudwig wrote:
There was a YouTube series on just this subject last year with some Jones riders Mitch Tölderer and wife Bibi. Here's the first. . .

got 10 seconds in, started thinking of Hans and Franz and couldn't stop laughing for the rest :guinness:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:55 pm 

My theory is that all that exercise just builds the wrong muscles that make your riding look robotic. By letting certain muscles fatigue, you ensure that your body will naturally gravitate toward the most efficient style. For this reason, I ride my bike all summer, but resist the gym during the shoulder season and reduce my intake to fatty foods and large amounts of alcohol. 70% beer, 13% vodka, and 13% whiskey (The other 2% is made up of biscuits and gravy). This ensures that I put on a good amount of fat layer which will not only insulate me during the cold winter months, but also provide the proper amount of resistance training for the early season.