Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What's north america's best BC region?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:16 pm 

For Best terrain & Backcountry community I'd choose the Kootenay area and set up in Nelson or Rossland. (i'm certain there will be more references to the ganja LOL)
backcountryskiingcanada.com/kootenay_pass Serioulsy can you beat this?

I've met tons of people who have moved to AK for many reasons. I've never personally met anyone who has said " Yo dude I'm movin' to AK strickly for the backcountry touring" LOL

Haines & Juneau are not places to set up for a winter for some touring and great community action....There I said it. (that being said south east Alaska is the shiz nit yo!)

I grew up on the border of AK & British Columbia and have spent lots of time travelling the Pine Pass & the Powder King area. I definitely think its worth a visit. Also Kyle if you get shut out by weather which is very likely I would recommend focus your time and energy towards something like the burnie-glacier near Smithers. Shames might have the record for the most snow in a 24 hr period but it also means little to no vis most of the time.

Just one last jab...LOL Rogers Pass near Revelstoke is truly a Mecca. However until you move there and experience how much of the area is typically closed by parks Canada or how often the highway itself is closed and you get stuck in the town of Field BC then you might change your mind.....like me...LOL

peace out

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:46 pm 

ringdings_and_pepsi wrote:
peacefrog wrote:
I'm not saying Juneau is a Mecca, far from it.

interested to hear where you think is a mecca. or even confined to AK, where would the best place be to set up for a winter?

On the former
21.4167° N, 39.8167° E and I dare anyone on here to say otherwise.

On the latter (note this is setting up for the winter not a short trip)
If I were to tell any random guy where to set up for a winter in AK (in a population center) I'd have to say Anchorage (ANC). Access is not nearly as close as it is here in Juneau but Juneau is essentially on an island and you can get skunked if the weather doesn't go your way. ANC is Alaska's only real city, and barely that by lower 48 standards, but is very close to the BC by lower 48 standards. You also have lots of options there. Turnagain pass is about an hour away as is Hatchers pass. There are also mountains right on the edge of town (not as epic) if the weather isn't working you can head North and see if the area between Palmer and Glenallen is working out. You're about a days drive to Valdez. The Kenai Peninsula is right there. You could head to the Wrangle Mountains around McCarthy. The Alaska range is less than a days drive away.
Setting up there you'd be able to get as gnarly as you want and you'd be best positioned for exploring the most areas on simple weekend trips. This is of course just my recommendation "confined to AK"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:08 pm 

alaska

168W Solution Split
Spark R & D Blaze
Malamutes