Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: iguchi & jones do the otterbody
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:44 pm 

Well I've just realized that this place is the EpicSki of snowboarding. Don't know why I wasted my time reading this thread.

Post subject: Re: iguchi & jones do the otterbody
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:11 pm 

Just saw this thread, haven't been on the site in a while. Pretty cool, I got to watch the four of them ski it from Disappointment Point LIVE! I saw the film crew and Jeremy the day before in the Taggart lot on my way to do the Sliver, and while I was hiking I realized they where probably getting ready to do the Otterbody. I took pics of it that day because it looked perfect. Next day I cruzed up to Disappointment point and ran into the TGR and
Deeper film crew up there......and then dropped in on the Spoon couloir and linked it up with a Delta chute and out in pretty perfect conditions http://youtu.be/JQE0BCg8hh8
Thought I might run into JJ, Bryan, Zahan, and the other guide in Glacier Gulch but didn't see them. I heard they camped up there for another night....:guinness:
I can only imagine what it must have been like to ski that route in perfect conditions... Their tracks looked like trenches up there.

I think the only point I can make here is that to ski Ultra Classic lines with all the resources that they had (hellcopter, guides, assistants/film crew) is NOT as much of an accomplishment as being a dirt bag and skiing it and not telling anyone about it. That said JJ is a monster cool guy, got to talk with him for a bit in the park lot, and the fact that people here are disrespecting his riding is a real bummer because his is the style I have tried to emulate with my snow messing activities over the last howevermany yrs. Fast, fluid, and in control.

For me the most impressive part of the accomplishments of guys like Jones, Koch, Griber, Newcomb in the Tetons and around the world is that they were able to roll the dice consistently, over the course of many years, with mostly positive results. When you consider the unpredictability of certain back country hazards it really blows my mind. :bow: