Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hardboot/softboot debate - anti-ski sentiment
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:23 pm 

just let me get my flame-repellant asbestos suit on first...

Reading some of these threads about the debate over hardboot vs softboots really annoys me. And its not so much the debate itself as it is some of the discussion about ‘frootboots’ or ‘gay ass ski boots’.

Thus this new thread.

I’m new here, and am interested in splitboarding. I’ve been riding since ’95 exclusively on softboots until just this past winter, when I bought a hardboot carving set up AND skis. Back in the ‘90’s, I think it was pretty easy to say that snowboarding was cool relative to skiing. Not only was snowboarding still novel, but skiing ‘technology’ and trends in my opinion were still archaic. Videos you’d see of skiers in steep and deep runs would be jump skidding all their turns. There wasn’t really a strong freestyle component of skiing either – sure you’d see jumps, but the skis themselves and the skiers presumably, did not lend themselves to the tricks that we are seeing today. I HATED the ski fashions back then– the colors were gawdy.

But skiing evolved and picked up the ‘tech’ that made snowboarding so cool – parabolic/shaped skis, twin tipped – this ‘tech’ lends itself to a far more attractive style of carving (in deeps and in hardpack and freestyle skiing).

Skiers go faster, have easier access, can go bigger in their airs. You never see skiers on their arses fixing their bindings. They don\t get stuck on long traverses. And as freestyle goes, the ability for skiers to cross their skis looks way cooler than a single fat plank doing spins.

This year I bought skis so I could encourage my son to get into alpine sports. He`s three years old and has actually done blue runs. Like for many beginners of all ages, the ability to be able to go down any run in control is just way easier on skis than on snowboards. It also hurts a lot less to learn on skis than snowboards. Sure the falls on skis can be more catastrophic, but most people learning on green runs will be way more inclined to try skiing again, then to endure the pain of snowboarding a second day. In my opinion, you have to WANT to be proficient a snowboarding to get good at it, or at least have faith that its as fun as others say it is. (I bought a snowboard before i ever tried it, and after my first day i considered selling it - but i hung on and am thankful I did).

As far as my skiing experience goes, it was almost 20 years ago since I had last skied. But, when I put the skis on this year, I actually loved it. Back when I last skied I thought I was a decent, passable skier. I could go down blues without fear of my life. But I was amazed at how easy this year it was to progress in three afternoons of skiing. Carving – no problem. Icy runs – no problem. Bumps – well, by the 2nd afternoon, I could do moderate bumps way better than I could with my snowboard after probably weeks of runs.

Ultimately, skiing imo is just much easier to learn. Granted for me the skills of being a good ice skater (and having played ice hockey), as well as some of the nuances of snowboarding (how to carve, keeping your legs relaxed esp on bumps) all transfers over to the skiing ability. But, for example, you will never see snowboarders rule a mogul run like a skier.

So fastforward to the year 2013 – The old notion that skiing is ‘gay‘ or uncool is just so juvenile. The fashion styles are the same (dedicated snowboard mfr burton makes some pretty gawdy designs that I would never wear…). Skiers can do pretty much anything and get to any place that riders can, and then some. Skiing styles, the tricks, the airs, the lines on steep untracked snow – there is nothing uncool about it. And again, sitting on your ass, pedalling on traverses (all while the skiers pretty much just go from ski-lift or touring to just going down a hill) –that to me is pretty uncool.

Don’t get me wrong – I like skiing again, maybe because of the learning aspect of it, but going down any run on a single plank sideways (ie snowboarding) is just more enjoyable to me, especially in the pow, and when doing jumps.

But the notion that its gay, is just silly and juvenile, and it gets sillier when someone suggests that to ride in hardboots is gay because its like skiing.

Hello – this is a splitboarding site – you know when you split the board in half and ride them individually you are essentially skiing right? If it were up to those spreading the juvenile ideas of hardboots being ‘gay’, accessing the backcountry would have been molded around a technology that was suited for pedalling skateboarding style…

And for the record, I can’t see hardboots being as comfy as softboots on dreamy powder descents, and I don’t have the time or money (right now) to mod an AT boot to make it as comfy as a softboot, but I’m definitely open to the idea of hardboots, esp. when you consider that I’d love to have a single pair of hardboots that I could pack in my luggage that I could ride on my carver, on a splitboard/powder setup and on my skis (and for the reasons that Barrow espouses as well).

i say enjoy it however you like to.

Post subject: Re: hardboot/softboot debate - anti-ski sentiment
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:28 pm 

in my other (only) thread - someone asked why kids aren't riding so much as skiing nowadays. to me its just that snowboarding isn't that much cooler than skiing anymore (if at all depending on who you ask).

AND, i think way more parents feel safer introducing their kids to skiing than snowboarding. Once the kids get their skis on and see that they can be everywhere the snowboarders are (in the terrain parks, in the backcountry, etc.), its little discouraging to have to learn all over again, while your buddies are doing their thing.

again, you have to believe that its fun and that it will be worth it in the end.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:50 pm 

the only thing that really counts is that people have fun and enjoy mountains, snow and nature! It doesn`t matter if they use skis or snowboards, hard- or softboots, what clothes they wear or if they are cool or not

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:56 pm 

Do you know what freestyle skiing was 20 years ago? Tight pants and Ballet moves on the bunny slope. Skiiers even had special short skinny skiis for this. If anything,freestyle snowboarding made the fruitbooters man up and grow a pair... Sure skiing is more efficient in spots that are flat and boring, but who likes flat and boring?... I consider myself an uphill skier :lol: but thats as far as Im gonna take it... its kinda gay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:56 pm 

aksltxlt wrote:
Do you know what freestyle skiing was 20 years ago? Tight pants and Ballet moves on the bunny slope. Skiiers even had special short skinny skiis for this. If anything,freestyle snowboarding made the fruitbooters man up and grow a pair... Sure skiing is more efficient in spots that are flat and boring, but who likes flat and boring?... I consider myself an uphill skier :lol: but thats as far as Im gonna take it... its kinda gay

+1 :guinness:

Skiers go bigger?
Forrest Burki doesn't give a f*ck about no skier.

40yrOldRider wrote:
And as freestyle goes, the ability for skiers to cross their skis looks way cooler than a single fat plank doing spins.

Skiers have more style because they can cross their tips? Tell me one grab a skier can do that doesn't look lame. Every time I see a skier grab it makes me think about roller blading. HARSH.

I would rather watch someone do a tweaked method, melon, stalefish, or indy than any skier "cross their skis".

The only good thing about skiers is throwing snowballs at them off the chairlift, slashing the shit out of them, and making fun of them when they yard sale.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:17 pm 

Pretty sure no one said skiing is gay - snowboarding in ski boots is gay :lol: (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:04 am 

freestyle skiing 20 years ago? Surely you have heard of the kiss ass blaster :lol:

http://movieclips.com/EAwh-hot-dog-the- ... s-blaster/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5NhA2Rrqe4

this sport is ancient relative to snowboarding

seems like every sport now just tries to combine gymnastics/diving and there ya go, the hardest things to do in that sport. Ultimately 5-foot tall women should rule all freestyle sports, when they leave the gym and wear baggy pants of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlRxbaa- ... ature=fvwp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:36 pm 

I thought girl on girl and guy on guy was gay? :scratch: Most of the folks on both sides with their new gear (for the year) and hero cams seem pretty weak. Just ride what you want and don't worry about your sexuality so much. :doobie:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:16 pm 

hey allz i know is that DAVID GOTROFF IS A DOUCHE!

what happened to that whole thing?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:47 pm 

christoph benells wrote:
hey allz i know is that DAVID GOTROFF IS A DOUCHE!

what happened to that whole thing?

I think he may have started this thread :lol: :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:41 am 

40yrOldRider wrote:
i say enjoy it however you like to.....

Dude, so gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:40 pm 

Young kids can learn riding just as easy as skiing, given the right instruction methods and keeping it fun above all other things!

The problem I see with kids across the board is as soon as they can get going, the parents stop the instruction. I see tons of kids (my friends included) that have 5-7yo's that just power-pizza wedge it down everything without any technique. The difference with snowboarding is that without learning technique there is no turning and it "takes longer" to get them off a bunny slope. If you forced 3-5yo's to learn skiing technique, I am sure the relative abilities on similar slopes between skiers and riders would be much closer.

My daughter turned five 3 weeks ago and is riding easy black runs now. She started sledding with a board at 18 mos, standing and bombing runs at 2, and learning to turn at 3. This year she's gone from linking on the bunny slope to this. Oh yeah, she's sliding the mini-boxes 50/50 too! I'm one proud Pappa :thatrocks: :disco: :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:42 pm 

^^^^You should be a proud pappa, shes RIPPING. I got my son shredding this year, it invigorates the soul.