Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: worth it to buy a splitboard?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:25 am 

hey u guys still lookin to meet up and ride this has been an epic winter so far in ontario the snow has stayed fluffy and it keeps coming nice and deep out in the bush and up north

msg me back for contact info to do some sweet splitboarding i have several zones i go to for awesome riding

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:29 pm 

Hi Gerry,
I am in the same situation, and have just got into splitting. I got the Burton Landlord split. It has worked great for me. I am in Vermont and have taken this board everywhere. It is great in the back country and resort riding. Being in Vermont we have ice and you have to know how to ride it. This split does great on ice. If you have the money to sink into the gear it might be worth it as you can use it at resorts and off. I do not regret getting a split and have used it quit a bit at the resort, getting use to it.

Spark R&D Magneto's

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:58 am 

Is it worth it to buy a splitty? Hell yeah! I live in Sydney, Australia...6 hours to the snow and even though most Aussies think our slopes are crap, to me snow is snow and if I hadn't got myself a splitboard I would probably never get on one. Just back from a trip to Japan with some mates who are backcountry freaks and as soon as the chance came off we went...not sure if I had not had the board and gear I would have been so enthusiastic as the decision to go was a morning call...but I did, so off we went and it was one of the best experiences of my short 52 years!

Now I can hardly wait to get back on it and go explore the Aussie backcountry...for me the investment has started to pay off. If I didn't have the board I would probably just think about what it would be like...now I have it, I am planning the next adventure. To each there own of course, but remember that the hardest step is the one that gets you out of your house...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:34 pm 

To get back to you original use case, sounds like you are looking to add something to your quiver for special occasions. Yes, you can kill two birds with one stone on this one and get a powder specific split.

10 years ago I basically did this. I knew I wanted a powder specific board for deep days at the resort, and I wanted the option to go into the backcountry when the resorts were played out. All in the name of powder... So, I picked up a "demo" Prior Split Swallowtail when I saw it for a great price.... Didn't get much back-country use the first couple years, but I had some epic powder days in-bounds when a normal resort board would have been a drag. That alone made it worth while....

Since then I've gotten more into the backcountry, found some good riding partners, and expanded the quiver, but the quest for powder and having the right tool for the job all started with that Prior....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:25 pm 

Having been afflicted with the toronto area for about 10 years of my life I can feel your pain. Though luckily I was able to escape back to BC a while ago.

that being said...I know of at least one guy that skis AT near blue mtn. So it can be done, you just need to look around.
I used to drive to New Hampshire and Quebec for some splitting. There are lots of defunct ski hills in Quebec that make for great touring. Mt Plante is one of them, near St Agathe. There are others...Loup Garou is another touring destination in that area.
And in NH there is Mt Washington and a few other mtns available.
And if you're into road trips, there is always the Chic-Chocs.

I currently ride a burton s-split and and a voile 190 swallowtail in AT boots...that should satisfy your boot problem. I use the Dynafit TLT5, which may not work in a standard DIN binding...but i'm sure there are others out there that will.

The only positive about splitting in ontario is the lack of avi issues...though I do remember "The Wall" at Holiday Valley (ellicotville NY) avalanching a few years ago...so you can't discount that issue completely.

gary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:52 am 

Ask your self is splitboarding really what you want to do. If your not absolutely certain, then let me offer you an alternative:

Consider coming to Aspen next year on vacation during Early February when BomberOnline.com when host in Aspen the Annual Summit Express Session (SES). This a week of hard boot carving at aspensnowmass. You can find out more about Hard Boot Carving and SES at http://www.http://bomberonline.com/ and talk to Finn. Note Finn splitboards as well, and may have access Dynafit/AT Splitboard.

While at the SES week schedule a guided tour with Mary (splitboarder) at Aspen Expeditions (AE) see http://www.aspenexpeditions.com/ They have access to a splitboard.

If you going this route with AT boots, then consider purchasing the Spark R&D adapters (whereby check with the guide service if they have has the Dynafit toes to use on their splitboard) and a pair of hard boot bindings with slider tracks.

For example here in Glenwood Springs Summit Canyon Mountain Shop has a Splitboard to demo/rent. Ask for Troy (toy@). http://www.summitcanyon.com/

Other options are Powder Tours snowcat snowboarding See [url]www.aspensnowmass.com/en/events-and.../powder-tours‎[/url]

Mostly enjoy being with your son!

With any guide trip here in the high-country, one will enjoy it more if one is in aerobic shape, in order to handle the elevation change.