Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: worth it to buy a splitboard?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:31 pm 

hey all: first post.

background: i've been snowboarding since '95. i'm 42, have a son. only this year have i heard the word 'quiver', but have just got into hardboots (carving boards). admittedly, i'm at a time in my life where i make decent money to spend on 'stuff'. So i've got a few solid softboot boards (two are pre-2K, one a Salomon 2012 grip 154), one F2 carver, and a coiler on order. I also have a set of carving salomon carving skis. If i were to add another board it would be a pure powder board. the salomon is decent in the pow, but i like the idea of less backleg burn. So i thought to myself, if a splitboard rode like a solid board to ride in powder, why not just get the one board?

More background - reality is i live just outside of Toronto ONtario. This year is probably the example of what my winters will be like for the next 15 years - one (possible two) multi-day trips out west, multiple jaunts to the local 500 and 700 foot vertical 'mountains', and a couple of trips to east coast mountains like Whiteface and Tremblant. But where i live is like the worst place to be an avid alpine snowsport lover.

so i again, is it worth my while to look for a powder ride that is a splitboard? i like the idea of venturing into the backcountry, but i don't know that i ever will. I don;t plan to be away from my son for that long, and i don't even talk to me about the possiblity of an avalanche. My ventures into the backcountry would be one day affairs (I know nothing about this stuff btw), and more realistically (if possible), distant hikes beyond resort ski boundaries (guided, b/c i'm scared of dying!).

other notes - i like the idea of having one set of boots that would allow me to bring on a trip out west (by plane) 1) a (snowboard) carver 2) my skis (for groomers) and 3) a powder snowboard. I'm looking into Alpine Tourers for this right now - will AT's fit into any set of skis? Any opinions/suggestions for this? snowboards and skis are easier to cram into a big ski/snowboard bag. Taking three pairs of boots? not so much...

So would i even notice the difference in ride between, say, a Prior solid and splitboard equivalent (like the khyber or swallowtail)? Because if not, it might be worth it just to have the 'option' to splitboard.

thanks for your feedback!

gerry

Post subject: Re: worth it to buy a splitboard?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:37 am 

Yes, get a split powder board it will still ride great in-bounds and many resorts will allow hiking before and after operating hours (avalanche mitigation in-bounds). I ride everything on a split-board and have a great time.

P.S. many days in the back-country are not epic pow days which can also be the most dangerous conditions (for me stable is more enjoyable and relaxing). Get a split that can do it all....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:45 pm 

Having spent (or wasted) several high-school years trying to be a snowboarder in Toronto, I feel I can give you a bit of insight here.

I reccomend you don;t get a split. They're a pile of cash, and they not going to ride ice worth a shit compared to your solid. I assume you're not going to be driving further than Blue Mt to shred, and that's a haul as it is with nothing on the escarpment you could tour on. That said, if you were willing to drive 8 or 9 hours, there is potentially some riding in Quebec and New England.

On your trips to the west, you'll do better. But be warned there is lots to learn about splitting, so a day here or there will likely be pretty irritating.

My advice is to hold your cash and concetrate on getting your boy shredding (or skiing, snowboarding's dead to the kids). Then, come out on a trip to somewhere like salt lake city where the touring is numerous and relatively hassle free, and invest in a day or two of a guide and a rental board. That'll make the experience easier and probably much more rewarding.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:49 am 

singlewhitecaveman wrote:
(or skiing, snowboarding's dead to the kids)
Slight derail but why arnt kids snowboarding....shits me, im pretty sure we can blame it on too many scooters and less kids skateboarding.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:15 pm 

singlewhitecaveman - thanks for the feedback. no i'd be embarassed to take a split anywhere in ontario. i'm actually planning to go to utah next year. i guess part of the allure of the splitboard is just to have more 'toys', but i hear what you're saying wrt to the $$.

to ChrisNZ - i'm not sure if its been posted on this site, but i have my ideas, perhaps on a separate thread, that i'm sure to get flamed about...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:02 pm 

40yrOldRider wrote:
singlewhitecaveman - thanks for the feedback. no i'd be embarassed to take a split anywhere in ontario. i'm actually planning to go to utah next year. i guess part of the allure of the splitboard is just to have more 'toys', but i hear what you're saying wrt to the $$.

to ChrisNZ - i'm not sure if its been posted on this site, but i have my ideas, perhaps on a separate thread, that i'm sure to get flamed about...

A good idea would be start buying parts of you avy kit and learn how to use them. A transceiver is a good start. And you dont need snow to learn how to use it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:05 pm 

Totally worth it. I'm 51, got my splitboard in mid-January. I live in Maine, so big powder options are quite limited but I am thrilled with the split. I've done some b/c exploring on small stuff as well as an amazing week at Katahdin. But here's the thing: I also take it to resorts to head up early or late in the day. I can get exercise, take a run or two with the family and everyone is happy.

I have a Venture Storm 166 with Blaze bindings and soft boots. The ride is terrific for me. Maybe some folks need less flex and more lateral stiffness for going hard in icy stuff, but I like the ride better than my solid. Decent on groomed stuff and just lovely in powder.

The splitboard can change your winter life...... I'm already thinking about "hard" boots and plate bindings for next year. And I'm planning to take some bigger b/c trips to justify the purchase!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:11 am 

singlewhitecaveman wrote:
Having spent (or wasted) several high-school years trying to be a snowboarder in Toronto, I feel I can give you a bit of insight here.

I reccomend you don;t get a split. They're a pile of cash, and they not going to ride ice worth a shit compared to your solid. I assume you're not going to be driving further than Blue Mt to shred, and that's a haul as it is with nothing on the escarpment you could tour on. That said, if you were willing to drive 8 or 9 hours, there is potentially some riding in Quebec and New England.

On your trips to the west, you'll do better. But be warned there is lots to learn about splitting, so a day here or there will likely be pretty irritating.

My advice is to hold your cash and concetrate on getting your boy shredding (or skiing, snowboarding's dead to the kids). Then, come out on a trip to somewhere like salt lake city where the touring is numerous and relatively hassle free, and invest in a day or two of a guide and a rental board. That'll make the experience easier and probably much more rewarding.

Good luck!

All good insight but he specifically said he's looking for a powder board..

OP, if you're certain you're going to get out of bounds on pow days, then split it is. If you think you're going to ride it in bounds more the out of bounds, I'd just get a rockered solid. You can buy one used for pretty cheap and since you're gainfully employed, you can always get a split later when you're 100% your going to use it.

:twocents:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:18 am 

Nice post. Welcome to the (split)board!

40yrOldRider wrote:
But where i live is like the worst place to be an avid alpine snowsport lover.

This in incorrect, sir. Houston, TX., is the worst place to live for a snowsport lover.
Just look at a map. 18 hours to Colorado. :cry:
Enjoy your local hill! :guinness:

Oh, buy the split! :twocents:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:19 am 

Quote:
This in incorrect, sir. Houston, TX., is the worst place to live for a snowsport lover.

yes, Houston does suck. Thats my Hometown. Not only does it suck for snowsports, its sucks to be a surfer there too.

Im 51, had a split for 8 years now...I have to drive at least 7 hours one way for good riding.......but I do it

And love it

But ....for you I would just rent a split. I would buy a beacon and practice though

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:20 am 

Yes, get one.

Here is a great option.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad ... 98&cat=193

I'll throw in Voile Skins and crampons for $500.00

PM me if you're interested.

www.maxwelljmorrill.com

Burton Freebird '58, Rossignol Experiece '63, Spark R&D Blaze, Spark Deeluxe XV
Black Diamond, The North Face, RED

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:35 am 

TEX wrote:
Quote:

yes, Houston does suck. Thats my Hometown. Not only does it suck for snowsports, its sucks to be a surfer there too.

Im 51, had a split for 8 years now...I have to drive at least 7 hours one way for good riding.......but I do it

And love it

But ....for you I would just rent a split. I would buy a beacon and practice though

Howdy, Tex!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:05 pm 

spruce cabin wrote:
TEX wrote:
Quote:

And love it

Howdy, Tex!

Hi, my name is Chris, I'm a Houstonian, and I snowboard (gave up on surfing 20 years ago). I feel so much better knowing there are others like me...

EDIT: I also feel so much better knowing that don't live in H-town and that I will be in Silverton CO in 72 hours...