Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - strap binding characteristics: aluminum vs plastic

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: strap binding characteristics: aluminum vs plastic
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:10 pm 

Discuss :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:58 pm 

Well, I'm not opposed to running some sort of plastic. I definitely know there are different glass-filled plastics of all sorts. The question is possible narrowing it down to one that would suit our needs for strength and performance. I'd hate to get back in deep and have a failure. :cry:

I feel the aluminum can be made to be very weight conscience and perform at a level where a plastic might leave you wanting a little more stiffness.
It is more dependent on the end user and the way they prefer there board to ride.

Not that the plastic can't be made more bombproof but I feel an aluminum piece is a little more confidence inspiring. Then again why can't we have both in one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:55 am 

Ive only ever used plastic Burtons, and so far have no complaints.

Maybe i should try an aluminum binding some time? I could see some advantages...What is the weight like for both? Is there much of a diff?

Right now im concerned with gettin some time in on the Sportiva Nuptse's....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:06 pm 

Yeah - I'd like to know if anyone out there has been using an aluminium strap binding that they're happy with.

I just got Burton Missions for my new splitboard and I've been suprised by how much flex there is in the base plate. It leads to a lot of sideways wiggle in the connection between the binding and the slider plate.

I'm not sure, but I think part of it is because the Voile slider plate is narrower than the binding. Since the edge of the binding hangs over the slider plate by about an inch on each side it is easier to torque the base plate on the binding. On a regular board the binding sits flat on the board all the way out to the edges and you can't torque it sideways as easily.

Also, does anyone know how neccessary it is to use the slider track gaskets - those thin rubber sheets that sit between the slider track and the binding? It seems like a lot of the sideways wiggle I get comes from compressing the gasket. I think I'll get a firmer connection if I chuck the gasket, but it would be nice to know if that will lead to other problems such as loosening base plate screws down the line.

Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:28 pm 

Hi SF,
The Burton bindings definitely have varying levels of flex depending on the model. The Missions and Cartels are pretty soft (for freestyle) where the c60s and P1s are going to be stiffer. I like the surfy feel so it's no surprise that I like a little flex in my bindings, just not tooo much. Also, while little flex is good on the descent but it can work against you on the ascent (as you've predicted). The gasket is more important for metal or really stiff bindings, you'll be fine without it while using the Missions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:59 pm 

Cool - thanks, BCR. I think I will bail on the gaskets then. Tweaking my board will give me something to do in the abscence of snow...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:17 pm 

I've always been a fan of the alum baseplate/binding setups. As such, I've usually stuck with Ride bindings over the years for this. I tried the Burton CFX's when they came out and it was a bit stiffer than the normal plastic stuff, but still not up to what I had hoped.

My resort board uses Ride's Team Bindings, quite stiff, but heavy as well. I'm trying to pickup some Ride "Tomcat" or this year's Ride "SPI" as they use the Tomcat baseplate setup. It's a stripped down alum baseplate, disk, that is very lightweight with all the strength you need. Quite light...

My split uses some older stripped down Ride LX's, as they weigh next to nothing... Less parts, easy to fix, and do the job... Need to update though, as I they are about 10 years old, with some newer straps...

Anyway, I know there are plastics out there that can be stiff and light as well, but I haven't seen them on any bindings that I've used yet. I'm not opposed to trying them, but until I see/hear about them, I have to stick with what I know...

That's my 2 cents and change...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:05 pm 

NoKnees wrote:
Ride "Tomcat" or this year's Ride "SPI" as they use the Tomcat baseplate setup. It's a stripped down alum baseplate, disk, that is very lightweight with all the strength you need. Quite light...

Hey,

FYI I purchased some Flight Tomcat's last season and have been pretty happy with them. My only complaint for splitting is the non-quick forward lean adjuster. It is tool-less but takes 30 seconds longer than the clip on my K2 clicker high back. OH, the highback is pretty high...no complaints here but if you have a low cut boot it might cause calf strain.

sorry for getting off the topic of this thread...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:05 am 

NoKnees, Mtnrider - thanks for the info. I'm going to stop by a shop and take a look at the Rides this winter to see if I should think about picking up a pair on clearance in the spring.

I think I'll be pretty happy with my Mission's, though. I ditched the slider plate gasket and it seems like the connection between the binding and the slider plate is much better now. The the binding was crazy-ass wiggly side-to-side. Really noticable with a boot in the binding. The only problem is that now I'll have to grind down the screws a little so that they'll clear the pucks because now they stick out too far below the t-nuts. The binding base plate still flexes a little, but I like a surfy feel so I think it'll no problem. Maybe if when we get some snow I can stop guessing on the subject...

PS BCR, ttriche... thanks so much - site is so much better now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:12 am 

I've thought about tossing the slider plate gasket also (to get a stiffer interface).
bcrider, why do you think it is more important for stiff/metal bindings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:26 am 

montoya wrote:
I've thought about tossing the slider plate gasket also (to get a stiffer interface).
bcrider, why do you think it is more important for stiff/metal bindings?

There are two types of gaskets. The ones that go under the pucks and ones that go between the slider plate and binding.

The ones under the pucks do a couple things. They cut down on vibration which leads to less leg fatigue. They also add a little cushion between the board and the pucks. I recommend using them but it isn't critical.

The gaskets between the slider track and binding essentially do the same thing. The reason I recommend using them with aluminum bindings is so there is a little bit of flex and forgiveness between the two pieces of metal (slider track and aluminum baseplate). Metal on metal doesn't flex well and can lead to a failure in the weaker of the two. With aluminum bindings you the slight flex the gaskets provide doesn't work against you like it sometimes can with a plastic binding (which is why you don't really need it with them).

Hope that helps. :)