Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Jake Burton, "What's Next for Snowboarding?" Splitboarding.

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jake Burton, "What's Next for Snowboarding?" Splitboarding.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:11 am 

Via Outside Magazine:

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/snow-sports/snowboards/Whats-Next-for-Snowboarding-A-Conversation-With-Jake-Burton.html

Prior SwallowTail
Jones Hovercraft
Chimera Sceptre
W/Spark R&D Bindings, Spark R&D Skins
Twitter/Instagram: @theScottBikeman
http://adrianmontgomery.com

Post subject: Re: Jake Burton, "What's Next for Snowboarding?" Splitboarding.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:09 pm 

Bummer they added an extra "s" to "Spark" throughout the entire article.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:36 pm 

It's funny, he is actually asked how the sport can grow if it is constantly focused on youth. He basically just admits it is all driven by youth. It's a question I have thought a lot about every time I go into a store for snowboarding. I think there is an unmet demand out there for adult oriented boarding, and the popularity of splitboards recently is perfect evidence.

I mean lets be honest, you walk into a snowboard store and its primarily a youth fashion / lifestyle experience that is being sold. Technical detail for products, if known, are rarely to be seen. Mostly its all about the graphics, whether or not Travis Rice rides it or had a hand in designing it, and whether the kids at the shop think it is cool currently. There are never any scales sitting around so you can weigh the gear.

Not really trying to sound like a grouch, and I definitely like my Lib Tech boards that have been blessed by Mr Rice, but in my opinion, a lot of folks just won't be finding something that speaks to them anymore. The ski industry seems to straddle this quite well, offering something for the youth / lifestyle crowd, while constantly pushing the technical advances and keeping the stoke for kids older than 40 who have money to buy the latest skis and helicopter flights.

Just saying there seems like unmet market potential out there, and that splitboarding is evidence of this to some degree. Having only one marketing strategy that perpetually targets the 17 year old dude seems a little limiting.

http://seattletimes.com/html/businesste ... esxml.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:43 am 

prior_rider wrote:
I think there is an unmet demand out there for adult oriented boarding, and the popularity of splitboards recently is perfect evidence.
I agree. And there is a German snowboard company, who recognized that as well: www.goodboards.eu

Apart from that I'd also see those as brands for adults rather than teenagers:
http://www.pogo.biz/en/snowboards.html
http://www.radical-sports.com/english/frame/f-home.html
http://www.rad-air.com/boards/
(terribly expensive though)

Actually, freeride boards in general tend to be more "grown up".
Consider a Völkl Selecta, Rossignol Experience, the Jones boards etc.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:37 am 

the splitboard market is smal but intresting.....
years ago, i wirte in a tread burton must lorne his lessond.( interface) he lorned and switch to voile, it is clever but now the take spark on his way - this is future but some kill for the other bindings, board company in the bc market. new rail system...... to day i think karakoram and the other litte brands must lorne - this time is 5minutes to 12 for the guys, when the sleep the are out.

burton