Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2013 Spark Blaze machined out base plates packing with snow?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:32 am 

Any other people having the issue of the 2013 Spark R&D Blaze base plates packing with snow in the machined out pocketed areas?

I have the previous base plates that are solid, but my girlfriend has been using the new machined out versions this season and every time out we have experienced these bases packing and holding way more snow. Once when we were in more dense sun warmed conditions the snow actually temporarily cemented the bindings onto the pucks not allowing them to slide off. In super blower pow its not much of a problem obviously, but when the pow doesn't just 'blow" off, it stays in there.

Seems that this weight reduction actually transfers into more weight because of holding more snow, which is already a problem with splits. We are always fighting weight, and more snow always sucks.

My quick fix was to lay down a few layers of synthetic carbon fiber vinyl, doesn't weigh anything and is cheap, but only lasted through a few days of touring and riding before wearing through in a few spots...but worked very well as far as keeping snow out of the base plates. If I can find a more durable material that is light to lay over the base plates I will start using that instead.

Anyone else out there have this issue, and if so any good fixes?

Post subject: Re: 2013 Spark Blaze machined out base plates packing with snow?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:21 am 

Yep. Weight wasn't my complaint but that it was a pain in the a** to get rid of the snow and ice. It takes forever to pick it out. I had a day where I couldn't get all of the ice out and it just made everything uncomfortable to put my boot in. If you use the pin, it'll be the easiest but I ended up getting Burners for this and a few other reasons.