Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Burton Landloard + Spark Magneto + Voile colab pucks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:23 pm 

Here's some video of the new Burton Landloard split, Tesla design (Magneto binding) from Spark R&D, and Volie colab pucks...more pics and info coming soon!!!

Post subject: Re: Burton Landloard + Spark Magneto + Voile colab pucks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:40 pm 

Hey Chris,

Any word why the pucks won't slide towards each other while adjusting causing no extra play in the binding within the spark channel? I suppose that notch in the pucks and in the center if the binding has some role to ensure that the pucks are pushed out to the max. Also the tightness of pucks within the slider channel probably prevents them from moving too. I guess i probably answered my question. Well if you have anything to add to it then please, much appreciated. Also, any lib tech splits?

Ben

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:01 am 

The slots/screws have ridges that keep the pucks in place when tightened down :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:12 am 

Chef_Ben wrote:
Any word why the pucks won't slide towards each other while adjusting causing no extra play in the binding within the spark channel?

In the other vid it seemed like the guy adjusting the bindings put his fingers down into the center of the binding and pushed the pucks apart so that the binding could not slide forwards and backwards on the pucks once they were tightened down. In Chris's vid you can see that there is a milky/clear spacer that joins the two pucks (sort of a clover leaf shape) that probably acts like the Voile H-spacer. You would remove it once you are done adjusting.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:36 am 

bcrider wrote:

The slots/screws have ridges that keep the pucks in place when tightened down :)

This actually doesn't answer question, yes the pucks won't move when you tighten the screws down but when the dude moves/slides the bindings around to display the range of possible stance adjustment those screws are loose and not necessarily capable of biting into the ridges to prevent the pucks from moving.

IMO i think when you clamp down the toe ramp and lock the binding there may be an alternative mechanism that might clamp the pucks too, again having to do with the notches you so wonderfully took a picture of Chris.

Love this week, OR & SIA!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:47 am 

Philip your right!!! :bananas:

But instead of the part of the video you pointed out, look at the second part when he moves the binding, you can clearly see the opaque spacer through the binding holes staying centered by a dot in the very middle. Wicked, i bet that spacer can be removed once you have chosen the stance so it don't get lost.

Man I'm tired but i love it!

Ben

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:35 pm 

So the question that immediately comes to mind is whether this system requires the use of a new Burton board, as well as the new bindings? Presumably the Magneto's won't be limited to Burton only.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:40 pm 

This was definitely one of my favorite new products at the show. Yes, it requires buying a new package. But it's also cool to see numerous companies working together to bring innovate products to the table. Nicely done, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:11 pm 

*I think* I noticed that the sticker on the Land Lord indicated it was NOT a wide board. So, let's take stock. Spliff = narrow, Freebird = narrow, Land Lord = narrow... am I forgetting any of Jake's splits? While I like Burton stuff, is ALL their gear designed for east coast boilerplate or geishas with bound feet??

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:21 pm 

I don't get the point to this or why it's a big deal? Do people really change their stance that often and when you do is it really that hard? plus with the magneto doesn't have the tech that other burton est bindings have making it relatively pointless to incorporate ICS anyway. to each their own I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:52 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
While I like Burton stuff, is ALL their gear designed for east coast boilerplate or geishas with bound feet??

Snow?...on the East Coast..?? ...Where?!? Snowboarding...Burton you say??...Nope, never heard of it.. :deadhorse: :?: :?: :?: :soapbox: :banghead:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:11 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
While I like Burton stuff, is ALL their gear designed for east coast boilerplate or geishas with bound feet??

Yup, never snows here...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:17 pm 

That spacer... simple but genius!

prior_rider wrote:
Presumably the Magneto's won't be limited to Burton only.

I'm sure it will work with a regular Voile puck setup (need new heel block and probably touring bracket though).

Speaking of that new heel pad... it just screams "insert heel lock here!" :)

philip.ak wrote:
*I think* I noticed that the sticker on the Land Lord indicated it was NOT a wide board. So, let's take stock. Spliff = narrow, Freebird = narrow, Land Lord = narrow... am I forgetting any of Jake's splits? While I like Burton stuff, is ALL their gear designed for east coast boilerplate or geishas with bound feet??

Guess it depends on what you define as narrow. Regarding the Spliff, I think mine measures 254 at the narrowest point, which is basically a "normal" board width for a board in the 160-ish length range, but that board is a 148. Then because of its non-Barrows-approved (tm) deep sidecut, it's wider at the actual foot position than you would think. So far no problems with size 11 boots, but I'm probably pushing it...

But yeah, some extra width choices would be nice!

wasatch surf wrote:
Do people really change their stance that often and when you do is it really that hard? plus with the magneto doesn't have the tech that other burton est bindings have making it relatively pointless to incorporate ICS anyway. to each their own I guess.

Well yeah, it's pretty much a pain to adjust the stance with the normal Voile setup (I remember after coming off the original Burton interface system, which was actually pretty easy to adjust, the first time I set up a board with the Voile system I was amazed at how long it took to get the stance dialed and pucks adjusted so there was no binding play), and you have a limited selection of stance positions and angles. So just the fact that you can dial in an *exact* stance is cool. The fact that you can actually adjust it that easily means you might actually think of that as an option when out touring. Hmm, the pow is deeper than I thought it would be today, lemme just move my back foot back a tad... 1 minute and you're done.