Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Venture Storm 171/27, What Rivals It?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:55 am 

802smuggler wrote:
Berts wrote:

I'm looking for a split that I can ride for many years to come.

Well, Venture certaintly has a reputation for durability. How wide do they make the helix?. It is a twin tip.

The biggest Helix you can get is 163/26

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:01 am 

I can say of the zephyr that it certaintly rides switch. The set back and taper are pretty minimal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:27 am 

I think I would like any of those, Storm, Zephyr or the Ferdburg. I still am not sure what to think of the Ferdburg but its intriguing to say the least. After reading all the reviews I really want to try one out.

It's going to come down to which of those boards I can find and is reasonably priced, $895 is a little steep for me. I'll keep my eye's peeled for a deal and continue to ride the Voile I have now. 2-1/2 more months and I transitionn into kayaking season. Although being in Jackson Hole next month for 5 days would be more fun with a better board.

Thanks for all your help,

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:51 pm 

I see the 26 wide Ventures are way easier to find. Can a guy get away with a 26 width & size 13 boots? It makes me nervous since the spark bindings don’t have any toe lift like a more traditional binding. I would really hate myself if I spend that much money on a board and didn’t like the end result.

I typically ride -15/+15

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:01 pm 

I have size 13's and my last board was a 26.2. It worked fine however I never found myself on any steep ice. I just ordered a Venture Storm in a 27 Wide for that eventuality and also I plan on getting some new version of a hybrid hiking/snowboard boot such as a Fitwell or Spark. The sole of which would be more squared off and prone to booting out on a narrower board. So factor terrain selection and future equipment choices into your decision as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:14 pm 

I have came to the conclusion that the board for me is the venture zephyr 169/27. It sounds more playful and more of a all around board than the storm.

Those 27 wide boards are VERY hard to find used.

So my wish list is big. Combo the board with spark burner bindings and new voile hardware I'm looking at a tish over $1,300. I'm going to try and sell my voile 173 w/skins (spare voile 130mm) and burton p1 carbon bindings.

OUCH!!!!!! That might not happen till next year but at least I know what I want.

Thanks for all your help and safe riding.....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:37 am 

Berts wrote:
Can a guy get away with a 26 width & size 13 boots?
If you ride powder every day and never hardpack/ice, yes.
Otherwise not.

I wouldn't do it for sure, and you came to the right decision as well already.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:34 pm 

Berts, I would contact Klem and Lisa Branner at Venture Snowboards directly. Tell them that you interested a Zephyr 27 w or Storm 27 w

Venture Snowboards
PO Box 547
Silverton, CO 81433 US
Phone: 970-387-5078

They will call you back. Lisa called me backed when I left a message.

Just realize the SIA show is going on right now!

BTW the Storm is a great board!

Checkout their Bargin Bin too
http://venturesnowboards.shptron.com/c/bargain-bin

I have purchased two Euphorias from Lisa Branner (venturesnow) on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/venturesnow/m.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:03 pm 

I contacted Venture but not Klem or Lisa directly. They pretty much said to keep checking for a demo board or pay full price for a new one. I don't blame them as I would say the same. The bargain bin doesn't have any 27's and won't as those are last years boards.

I have contacted a couple other companies online to see if they will work with me on price if I combo it with spark bindings. We will see what happens there.

Regardless I do plan on buying the spark burner bindings. I didn't realize how much better it is to have split specific bindings.

Its always something but soon I'll be all set up not looking back.

Thanks for the heads up

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:48 pm 

I picked up my Spark Burner Bindings today. I'm looking forward to sat as Idaho got some decent snow this week.

I also bought a Voile DIY for my old Burton Canyon 168/27. Sounds like a fun project and my girlfriends dad is an AMAZING wood worker with a great shop. If that works I'll sell the Voile board I have and find something else come spring. Its a nice excuse to get all the ptex tools I need to start repairing my own board and becoming 100% self reliant.

If this DIY works I'm half tempted to buy a new Lib Skunk Ape 180 and split it. It will depend on if my GF dad gets into helping me. This guy does some really badass inlaid wood working. I wondering if he can inlay some rails to the inside of the board. I have a old K2 Fatbob that is perfect to practice on before I work on the Canyon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:34 pm 

Heyhey homie! Where abouts you usually shred?
Anyways I have owned both the 168/26 Zephyr and 170/26 Storm. I'm 6'6 with a 12 size foot and have an all around playful style. And the storm is the board I grab all the time, love it! It just wants to charge yet still able to spin and butter on it. The zephyr is a super sick board and you can take it anywhere. A whole season it was the only board from pow, steeps, trees, cliffs and even the resorts and park! (but I just choose to ride my split everywhere!) Yet I have hit rails on my storm ha!
Riding serious terrain though, storm all the way. The board is just amazingly built with the intention of fast powerful riding. Straight lining yes please. Storm all the way

Boots: Salomon Malamutes
SnowSurf Pads: Almond MFG.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:54 pm 

PowSlashingWigley wrote:
Heyhey homie! Where abouts you usually shred?
Anyways I have owned both the 168/26 Zephyr and 170/26 Storm. I'm 6'6 with a 12 size foot and have an all around playful style. And the storm is the board I grab all the time, love it! It just wants to charge yet still able to spin and butter on it. The zephyr is a super sick board and you can take it anywhere. A whole season it was the only board from pow, steeps, trees, cliffs and even the resorts and park! (but I just choose to ride my split everywhere!) Yet I have hit rails on my storm ha!
Riding serious terrain though, storm all the way. The board is just amazingly built with the intention of fast powerful riding. Straight lining yes please. Storm all the way

I live in Boise and this being the first year with only a handful of days out my terrain isn't figured out yet. 90% of my days will be around Idaho City or Stanley. I don't anticipate many steep chutes or anything like that in the near future.

You were blessed with small feet for a 6'-6 dude. I really don't think I can get away with a 26 wide board. Its pretty boarder line to me. Hopefully splitting my Canyon will work out (3d Hole pattern) and make it through the year. Come spring/summer I'll keep my eye out for a reasonable priced 27 wide zephyr or storm. The bargin bin has a 168/26 zephyr and 170/26 storm for $716 which is REALLY hard not to pull the trigger on. I'm holding back every day. I hate to spend that kind of money only to be dissappointed in the near future.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:28 pm 

I bought a Venture Odin 173/26 and have a 13 boot. No problems at all. I was looking for a 27 also and couldn't pass on the deal for last years model. Very stoked on my purchase. Spark Burners are badass bindings too! Can't go wrong w/ Venture regardless which model.
Cheers