Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: New Spark Binders at the OR Show
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:49 pm 

jimw wrote:
People sure seem to love to hate Burton.

Speaking of which, it's interesting how many features these new bindings have (and Karakoram and Edison) that were present in some form or another in the original ill-fated Burton interface system. Heel lift was integrated into the baseplate, and it worked great with their crampons. No pins. Camming action to lock both board halves together. Pretty easy stance angle adjustment without changing stance width. It was a little too early for its time though (meaning tons of issues in the field)...

EXACTLY!
It's nice to see that someone (Will) finally appreciates the great ideas that have been incorporated into the Burton S-Series system, and transforms them into a new binding system.
Integrated heel lifters that push the crampons into the snow in each setting, on-the-fly easy to install crampons, pinless system. Those are the things I love about the Burton system.
How tight and rigid the Burton's clamp system holds the two board halves together in ride mode is still not overcome by any of today's systems. :doobie:

BTW: Has anyone noticed that Sabretooth - the Tesla crampons will be Dynafit compatible? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:00 pm 

FaDe wrote:
BTW: Has anyone noticed that Sabretooth - the Tesla crampons will be Dynafit compatible? :wink:

Interesting point, from the video I watched that seems likely. You know that for sure?

Kind of a tangent, I'm guessing the crampons are a must have on the volcanoes and possibly the coastals. Does that bear out with the people on here?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:16 am 

Spark informed that max stance angle is appr 43 degrees with Burton channels.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:58 am 

provotrout wrote:
Interesting point, from the video I watched that seems likely. You know that for sure?

I don't know that for sure, but if you look the Spark R&D 2013/14 catalog, the mounting pivot on the Sabretooth looks exactly the same as on a Dynafit crampon.
And as Will is making Dynafit toe piece adapters and sells Dynafit toe pieces for splitboards, I assume that when he makes something new, he makes it useful and versatile applicable. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:34 am 

I emailed Will @ Spark and he said the conversion kits will be $250 for the Magneto (milled out baseplate ala Blaze) and $270 for the Afterburner (solid baseplate ala Burner). You will be getting touring brackets, heel risers and such with the kit. Still not cheap. Not sure why the one with the added milling will cost less than the solid plate.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:41 pm 

@ FaDe

I don't know that for sure, but if you look the Spark R&D 2013/14 catalog, the mounting pivot on the Sabretooth looks exactly the same as on a Dynafit crampon.
And as Will is making Dynafit toe piece adapters and sells Dynafit toe pieces for splitboards, I assume that when he makes something new, he makes it useful and versatile applicable.

no not the same, some diameter are difrent. the bolt Q and the open wide.
the picture shows the orginal dynafit crampon, and the tourinbracket from the new spark system.

bURTON

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:11 pm 

There wil really be an upgrade, but what would be the cost in Europe? 250 Eur? And the whole set? 500? 600 Eur?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:34 pm 

Hey don't know if this has already been shared? Legend Dave Downing using the Burton with Spark Magneto bindings shredding some pow:
[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/61634442[/vimeo]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:18 am 

I just checked the thread superficially, but I want to give an anser to the question with the angle.
With the new Burton system combined with the Spark Tesla you have a maximum angle of 30 degree.
If you want to see how is the first setup of the system, you can do it here: http://www.splitboarding.eu/en/splitboa ... to-binding

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:23 pm 

Don't know why I didn't see this before, apologize if it is already posted.

[vimeo]www.vimeo.com/60717962[/vimeo]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:01 pm 

What kind of poles is Dave Downing using in that Video? I need a set of those

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:20 pm 

The BD compactors? I had a set when we were at Greenstone earlier this year. I am mostly happy with them. The button on one jammed up and wouldn't deploy without a lot of fiddling. BD replaced it so we will see. I got them cheap on the Clymb and they were way better than my old ones.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9