Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to Splitboarding
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:25 pm 

I am completely new to splitboarding and am looking to purchase my first board but have no idea what brand or size is best. I am a big guy (6'1" 250lbs size 14 shoe). I am presently riding a Ride Highlife 159 and Ride Mountain 162. I am looking to start touring predominantly in the northeast states and eventually get out west in the future. What brand and board do you suggest? Any brand cater better to big guys? What bindings are best? What else will i need to get started touring ASAP?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: New to Splitboarding
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:14 pm 

Size 14's are going to require quite a waist width. Venture comes in a 27 wide. Check them out

http://venturesnowboards.com/boards/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:49 pm 

Hey Gringoflvor,

welcome to sb.com.

For starters I would suggest to read the entire Splitboard 101 section here including the FAQ's

http://www.splitboard.com/index.php/splitboard101

Pretty small boards you are riding for your sizes, how's that all working out for you!?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:15 am 

My riding style is much more like a 160 pounder than a 240pounder. I like the smaller boards for quicker mobility. I read Splitboard 101 and FAQ section but feel like i am getting mixed messages. Some say to size up and others say to stay with the size of your resort board. I am looking for a wide waist obviously do to my feet size but dont know what length i should be looking at. Im thinking of either a Prior (AMF 165 or 169, Backcountry 165), Voile (Artisian 165 wide), Venutre (Zephyr 165 wide), Jones (Solution 163 wide) . What does anyone recommend? Any pros or cons to these boards or brands?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:58 am 

Well, you are getting mixed messages because there are aloooot of different factors that play a role in personal preference.
(As you can tell if have followed this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14492)

But based on what you state as your personal preference and the boards you ride now, all boards you listed should be a good choice for you. None of them (except for the 169) are a big departure from what you currently ride. You would be sizing up only a few centimeters, which are not gonna hurt you in the BC. Are your current boards the wide version? (I would assume so with size 14 feet!?) If so you should probably go for the widest boards of your list (Zephyr 165w for example, I never owned a Venture but from what I gather here, people love them and they are super solid)

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:58 am 

Dont overlook the Never Summer SL 163 (268mm waist). I have one and its fun as hell. Or if you aren't buying until next season there will be a ton of options.