Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: n00b hello
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:39 am 

I have to completely disagree with putting turns in at a resort. If this gent has been telemarking... he should know enough about the BC to do mellow tours on mellow terrain. lift turns are not the same as BC turns. You don't need to be in committing terrain to learn how to ride a snowboard.

I believe his question was about gear.... not on how to snowboard.

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

Post subject: Re: n00b hello
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:04 pm 

nOOb here as well, hello everybody.

I switched to snowboarding from skiing about 10 years ago when I migrated to CO. Most of my experience in the backcountry is from hut trips, while snowshoeing/lugging a board on my back. I rented a splitboard last year for one hut trip...mind blown.

I took my Avy 1 a few years ago, and read as much as I can about current conditions, forecasts, trip reports, ect. My buddy and I did some volunteer work at the Broome Hut on Berthoud last month, so we'll hanging out up there for a couple of nights up there next month.

I've been visiting the board for a couple of months reading people's reviews on different gear. Yesterday, I finally put everything together. Went with a new Never Summer 161 SL that I found on Craigslist.

Looking forward to cruising around new terrain, and learning from you fine folks! :drinks: