Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - 2012 Black Diamond Outlaw Avalung pack

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2012 Black Diamond Outlaw Avalung pack
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:31 am 

Has anyone toured with this year's Outlaw yet? I love my Arc'Teryx Silo 30 but I can't stand the waist strap constantly loosening up. I like the idea of how form fitting the Outlaw looks and I told the family that my next pack will have at least the Avalung.

Post subject: Re: 2012 Black Diamond Outlaw Avalung pack
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:48 am 

I just bought last year's version because I got a killer deal, but when I was looking at the new version it didn't seem as snowboard friendly. It still carries a solid board, but the setup for that looked a lot more fiddly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:11 am 

The outlaw is a killer pack, not to big not to small.. Rear panel access is the only way to go and the suspension system is perfect for touring and riding! Holds a solid nice and straps fit the wider splitboard "skis", you'll be stoked on it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:50 am 

Nice. I think I'll take a look at REI tonight. I typically carry my board ski-style but I need some way to carry put together, too. I think this is the only Avalung pack that allows snowboards.

Slightly random and off topic but how does everyone keep their poles from sliding down? I strap them tight on the side straps but they always want to slide down to the baskets. Then the poles sometimes hit my legs. Any tips or tricks? (I probably should post this separately).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:11 pm 

with tips up you'll wanna run the lower compression strap or board carry strap on the backpack thru the wrist loops on your poles and then flip the poles back up to the upper compression or board-carry strap on the pack... the bottom strap can catch the tubes of the poles or not, but get those wrist loops in there.

i hope that makes sense... :scratch: :scratch:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:16 pm 

Doh! That makes total sense and I feel silly for not thinking of it before!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:28 pm 

word. fwiw the outlaw is an awesome pack, and the avalung is a worthy piece of kit. i have both - but if i had kids i'd definitely be getting an airbag pack... i don't even have kids and i got one :thumpsup: if you really want that avalung too then do it with a sling but an airbag is a much better tool for mitigating a slide, especially when you look at the percentages of people who even get the avalung in before burial when compared with the percentage that an airbag keeps someone from being buried.

there are crusty avy pros that have said given the choice of only a beacon or only an airbag they'd choose the airbag. obviously i'm not endorsing leaving your beacon at home, but airbags are quickly becoming standard equipment. something to think about.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:25 pm 

ShredLife wrote:
with tips up you'll wanna run the lower compression strap or board carry strap on the backpack thru the wrist loops on your poles and then flip the poles back up to the upper compression or board-carry strap on the pack... the bottom strap can catch the tubes of the poles or not, but get those wrist loops in there.

i hope that makes sense... :scratch: :scratch:

Also easy is putting the grips in the ice axe/diagonal carry loop and rotate (twist) the poles around until this is tight, then clip basket side up to top board carry or side compression strap. Snugger, no pole movement.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:47 pm 

I have the 2011, love it. FWIW, Sierra Trading Post has last year's Outlaw pack, both with and without Avalung, on sale now. 180 and 98 bucks, respectively.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:19 pm 

Quote:
fwiw the outlaw is an awesome pack, and the avalung is a worthy piece of kit. i have both - but if i had kids i'd definitely be getting an airbag pack... i don't even have kids and i got one

Much as I love the Outlaw Avalung pack, shortly it's only use will be inbounds days :cry: as I, too, have seen the light and am gonna get an airbag pack. :thumbsup:

Got the mouthpiece firmly in my mouth in this shot from NZ last winter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:35 pm 

Nice pic!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:43 pm 

chrishami wrote:
I have the 2011, love it. FWIW, Sierra Trading Post has last year's Outlaw pack, both with and without Avalung, on sale now. 180 and 98 bucks, respectively.

They're about to post a 40% off coupon on Facebook too, probably in the next couple of days.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:26 pm 

I have this years Outlaw. Its pretty good. I'll save myself the time and post my review of it from BC

http://www.backcountry.com/bcs/review/B ... 73433.html

I was dead set on an ABS over summer but after dropping some serious dough getting on the splitboard wagon, my wallet went and played hiding seek. I thought i'd at least get the Outlaw to replace my 4 yr old Covert though, I don't regret it. If I do a big trip this season somewhere heavy I might still get the ABS. Until then, the Outlaw is keeping me plenty satisfied.

BTW ive done some 3 day trips on it. Its got the support of a 60L, just not the volume.

PS. The reason I upgraded from my Covert is the same reason I wouldnt get the 2011, the air intake box is directly over the shoulder which can dig in on heavy loads.