Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013-2014 new gear
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:21 pm 

nickstayner wrote:
provotrout wrote:
Maxwell Graham wrote:
Personally, aside from what we already have with the current offerings, I'd like to see lower profile bindings (foot to board)

agreed.

Maxwell Graham wrote:
quicker transitions,

start seeing hard boots!

Not to beat a dead horse here, but how exactly do hard boots lead to a quicker transition?

Well since you're already basically a skier you don't have to break down your poles, nah just kidding I just got new tlt 5's

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:14 pm 

nickstayner wrote:
Not to beat a dead horse here, but how exactly do hard boots lead to a quicker transition?

Let's not turn this to another hard vs soft thread, but basically it takes two movements to put on and off the foot in and out of the riding bindings and you pretty much only step into the touring bindings (dynafits). Consistenstly faster than straping in and out of soft bindings and transitioning them between riding and touring mode (which is mitigated a bit by the Spark Magneto system).

The easy entry system on the SP bindings could be adapted to allow the highback to collapse in touring mode. It's really cool not to have to lift up your entire ski (face it, your beloved snowboard turns into two skis in touring mode) when touring.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:25 pm 

moridinbg wrote:
...but basically it takes two movements to put on and off the foot in and out of the riding bindings and you pretty much only step into the touring bindings (dynafits). Consistenstly faster than straping in and out of soft bindings and transitioning them between riding and touring mode (which is mitigated a bit by the Spark Magneto system).

But don't you still have to pull out/put away the plate binding in & out of your pack when transitioning a hard boot setup? Pretty sure that's not any faster than strapping in to a Spark... got anything better? :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:56 pm 

re: hardboot transition.. for stepping in you put the back bale on, snap front and ride. It's less time consuming that getting straps on right, adjusted to the proper tightness.

for getting out of ride mode, flip two bales up in front and carry on with transition. Pulling sliders is the same imo b/t plates & sparks. Getting into tour mode as mentioned - just step in, lock and you're done.

Exiting tour mode you just press the exit tab. There are several different spots where you save time. But to be honest I think the main reason why you should or shouldn't use HBs is stuff like touring efficiency and ride feel. Changeover time isn't as important as those two.

Taylor wrote:
What I like is that they even botched the one cool feature they could have taken advantage of with rear-entry: a super-comfy, long-stride touring-mode tipped-back high back. Instead, the design renders the ankle strap and therefore the entire binding useless when the high back is depressed.

That was going through my head watching it too. Allowing rear stride could separate them from other traditional bindings.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:38 am 

provotrout wrote:
re: hardboot transition.. for stepping in you put the back bale on, snap front and ride. It's less time consuming that getting straps on right, adjusted to the proper tightness.

for getting out of ride mode, flip two bales up in front and carry on with transition. Pulling sliders is the same imo b/t plates & sparks. Getting into tour mode as mentioned - just step in, lock and you're done.

Exiting tour mode you just press the exit tab. There are several different spots where you save time. But to be honest I think the main reason why you should or shouldn't use HBs is stuff like touring efficiency and ride feel. Changeover time isn't as important as those two.

Taylor wrote:
What I like is that they even botched the one cool feature they could have taken advantage of with rear-entry: a super-comfy, long-stride touring-mode tipped-back high back. Instead, the design renders the ankle strap and therefore the entire binding useless when the high back is depressed.

That was going through my head watching it too. Allowing rear stride could separate them from other traditional bindings.

I am not sure having a high back that allows more rear stride than say a spark binding would make any difference with snowboard boots, unless we had a walk mode. I feel the boot itself with built in foward lean is what keeps me from a full stride, not the highback.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:45 pm 

KGN wrote:
I am not sure having a high back that allows more rear stride than say a spark binding would make any difference with snowboard boots, unless we had a walk mode. I feel the boot itself with built in foward lean is what keeps me from a full stride, not the highback.

Yep fully agreed. I personally don't feel any restrictions from a normal Spark highback (I got the Fuse) as far as stride goes and it's probably because I like very soft boots. In walk mode, I can push my whole binding beyond the tip of my other ski (162am board and I'm 5.9). Anything more and I would do a full lunge :lol: So for people who do feel restricted, I think it would be the boot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:03 pm 

I get at least a full 6" longer stride with my no highback restricted flow setup over a binding with negative lean option in the same boots.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:08 pm 

So who all has gotten a chance to tour with Tesla? I'm pretty sold already, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:59 pm 

rughty wrote:
I get at least a full 6" longer stride with my no highback restricted flow setup over a binding with negative lean option in the same boots.

Thats cool, I have never tried it so I was just speculating. I cant quite picture it in my head though, as with my setup Its definitely not the highback holding the stride back. Even just walking in my boots, I can only extend my leg so far forward while keeping my foot flat, any more and I feel the pressure of the back of my boot on my upper calf.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:33 pm 

For comfort and full circulation I also tour with boots and straps slightly loose. I find I can go much longer that way. I just posted pics of my current setup here http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10362&start=91 For ride mode I slightly cinch the straps and the forward lean/cable lock of the flow highback do all the work so my ladder straps don't get chewed up. Now all I need is a tesla front end and I'll have the perfect binding, well almost the perfect binding...more on that in a few months though :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:33 am 

i rigged up a set of removable highbacks last year, i notched out the hole that attaches the highback and could slide it off and on the bolts in the heel cup. tour'd really nice, longer stride for sure. didnt take much longer to put in the highbacks than it does adjusting the forward lean on sparks.

on long hikes or flat skins i'll lace my boots with the tongue folded out. I get much better flex out of the boot forward and backwards.

Im building a dynafit soft boot, with a walk mode. I made the tongue removable and cut the rear spine. It has a really good flex, lots of rearward movement. Im working on increasing the lateral stiffness when in tour mode, recreating the rear spine for ride mode, and converting the laces to straps. I'll post up some pictures once it hits the snow.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:44 am 

Yesterday I had the chance to try the new G3 Black Sheep splitboard, in 162cm.
the conditions were basically fresh powder, and a bit of hardpack in a couple of exposed areas.
It floats really well because of its full rocker shape, but I noticed it's quite mellow, not a really marked rocker, which helped to hold the edge when riding hardpack snow.
It's very easy to ride and quite playful for what I'm used to, the edge to edge transitions were fast aswell.
I'm used to a splitboard with light camber underfoot and I noticed I slipped a bit a couple of times when it got a bit steep, I guess it was because of the rocker profile, but also I was using some skins that I'm not used to.

I used it with the new After-Burner from Spark and it felt quite light, definetely lighter than the splitboard I normally use.

http://www.splitboardmag.com
http://www.facebook.com/splitboardmag1
https://twitter.com/splitboardmag
http://instagram.com/splitboardmag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:00 pm 

Victor (or anybody else) do you have specs for the Rossi XV splits? Anyone?

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next