Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: eastside question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:52 am 

We are looking for a new place to spend next January and February and are just looking for general info.

I know there are better places for winter snow quality but I have always loved the eastern Sierra and never spent much time there. Is there decent access to the east side of the Sierra in the winter? We do not have a sled. I have seen plenty of steep riding there but is the riding varied enough for meadow skipping on high avy days?

Thanks, Buell

Post subject: Re: eastside question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:19 pm 

There is great access to a whole lot of terrain in the winter. And thats from Lone pine all the way up to Bridgeport . There are lots of treed areas that can be accessed on high avy days. The snow is better than you would think especially after storms. ( See my trip report form two weeks ago or BGNights recent tr)

It is a large area with few people and the only place with anything going on is Mammoth Lakes. So be ready for "the country"

with that said the folks are very friendly and you are more likely to "buddy up" with someone if you see them on the trail rather than try to race each other to top

never had anyone give me an attitude while tour the sierra.

Come on down , the hot springs are great and we get a shitload of bluebird days

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:02 pm 

There's only a few places where a sled is going to help you and most areas are in the wilderness so you can only braaap so far. Winter access is good. Especially Twin Lakes, Dana Plateau, Big Pine creek. All are year round plowed paved roads and then there's a bazillion other dirt roads in between you just drive up til you get stuck and start skinning. You can do big lines any month of the winter usually. Go look at all of fullers2oh 's archived TR's. He's the OG stoner, solo, off the beaten path, touring guru during the middle of winter. thebackcountry.net is another site that has tons of old eastside TR's for beta. Probably the best place actually. The key to January/Febuary is having enough snow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:45 pm 

Very nice info, thank you. That is a lot of terrain. I will check out the TRs.

I would be based near Mt June (avoiding Mammoth) or possibly near Kirkwood (I know it is a little far) if I come to CA.

I could push my trip to mid January / mid March if needed to try to get a bit more snow. Last year and this year have been pretty spare here in Utah early season as well. Tried touring today, didn't go so well.