Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Keeping up with skiers

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Keeping up with skiers
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:41 pm 

Drop 3000 vert in one shot and see how long it takes skiers to meet you at the bottom. (30 seconds on a transition hardly stacks up)

Sorry if I repeat what others said above but here is how I try to do it.

Step one be more fit then them, I do have one group that is hard to keep up with but for the most part being in good physical shape keeps me in the front of the pack.

Step 2 show up to the trail head dialed

Step three, ski the split sooner rather than later, and be comfortable making turn in chopped up snow. I often go into ski mode once I am at the bottom of the run.

Step 4 shred with other splitboarders.

Step 5 Bring one token skier for cutting tracks through flats, a second skier is not necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:17 pm 

Sneak big rocks into their packs.

Spray their skins down with adhesive spray.

Use performance enhancing drugs.

Leave your avy gear at home to save weight.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:00 pm 

Super awesome information going all around in this thread! I love it.

I'm interested in hardbooting but I just dropped 600 on a set up with Karakoram and I like it. It looks like I will just have to really get dialed.

Also, the guys I ride with aren't in a hurry. They are super lax about waiting but I'm such a lover of snowboarding I just hate feeling like snowboarding is lesser than skiing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:06 pm 

Boat Shredder wrote:
I just hate feeling like snowboarding is lesser than skiing.

Are you fucking kidding? Never let me catch you whining like that or I'll smack you silly w/ your $600 K-binders before I steal them and sell them on ebay! Seriously get fit, learn to traverse, don't overuse your heel lifts (they suck on traverse and low-angle), and style yer line so there's no doubt that snowboarding's raddest (because don't forget up is incidental to down).

summersgone wrote:
UTAH wrote:
Nothing better than passing skiers on the up track.
I don't always pass skiers on the skin track, but when I do, they are tele skiers.

You must be around some rookie tele tubbies because around these parts they're quick on the up and the fastest on the transition. I pass lot's of yuppie randonnée douchers but rarely the crusty tele's.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:07 pm 

nifl wrote:

Are you fucking kidding? Never let me catch you whining like that or I'll smack you silly w/ your $600 K-binders before I steal them and sell them on ebay! Seriously get fit, learn to traverse, don't overuse your heel lifts (they suck on traverse and low-angle), and style yer line so there's no doubt that snowboarding's raddest (because don't forget up is incidental to down).

As far as travel, safety, and efficiency goes, skiing wins. bar none. When we get to the bottom of our runs, my skier buddies just romp out of the powder flatlands while I have to take 5 minutes to go back into tour mode. when we are in dangerous avy terrain, my skier buddies gracefully push out with their legs and poles while I wiggle and flop around to get out. When we are scaling up gnarly faces, my skier buddies are the ones making the boot pack. There's no doubt that skiing is more bio dynamically advantageous for the back country travel when compared to snowboarding. You can't argue that.

That's the way it is but I still love snowboarding. I will take it to the grave with me and that is why I'm on this forum so one day I can be proud to surpass skiers in their performance.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:03 pm 

When I plan traverses I always make sure that the descents are fall line runs. Practice is the only way you will get faster. For the first few months I toured with skiers they would give me shit day in and out, that was until I broke the whole trail up and had transitioned before they made it to the summit. There is no doubt there are a few drawbacks to having a snowboard in the BC but the advantages (the run) make it well worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:09 pm 

does this really matter? any skier that bitches about not wanting to wait for you to take 1-2 extra minutes at the top is a douche bag. tell them to chill the fuck out and enjoy the scenery. if they had to wait 2 minutes for you at 5 transitions that is only 10minutes added on to their day. I highly doubt that is going to ruin their day or amount of laps they can do. I have done a handful of skimos races and when competing against a group of skiers in the same fitness level as me I find that I pass a lot of them on the up or at least keep up, fly by them on the down, and lose a little at the transitions. when you add it all up I find that the times are about the same between us.

the only time I can see an issue with this is when you are with a super fast group that is going to be 5-10 minutes ahead of you anyway. or if you are in a larger group with varying speeds and you end up being last, then the leader can end up waiting for you for a while. really I find that wait times are based more on the speed that you skin at and not the transition. if you keep up with the group you can transition before your skier friend can tell if his gopro is on or not.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:57 pm 

wasatch surf wrote:
does this really matter? any skier that bitches about not wanting to wait for you to take 1-2 extra minutes at the top is a douche bag. tell them to chill the fuck out and enjoy the scenery. if they had to wait 2 minutes for you at 5 transitions that is only 10minutes added on to their day. I highly doubt that is going to ruin their day or amount of laps they can do. I have done a handful of skimos races and when competing against a group of skiers in the same fitness level as me I find that I pass a lot of them on the up or at least keep up, fly by them on the down, and lose a little at the transitions. when you add it all up I find that the times are about the same between us.

the only time I can see an issue with this is when you are with a super fast group that is going to be 5-10 minutes ahead of you anyway. or if you are in a larger group with varying speeds and you end up being last, then the leader can end up waiting for you for a while. really I find that wait times are based more on the speed that you skin at and not the transition. if you keep up with the group you can transition before your skier friend can tell if his gopro is on or not.

Great comment, except for the whole self serving guide comment. Try not to spam up this thread with your self promoting.

:))

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:02 am 

Unwritten rules when in mixed company in the BC:
Skiers wait an extra minute or two for snowboarders at the top.
Snowboarders wait for skiers when they yardsale and lose skis.
The longer the wait, the more beer and/or weed to be supplied by the slow party.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:59 am 

Quote:
does this really matter?
:P no, For the most part the skiers that i've talked to don't get splitboarding. Splitboarding is slower on the up and the transistions, why not just learn how to ski? A snowboarder i know was convinced by this argument (bought a whole rando setup) now his buddies wait for him on the up and the down :lol: .
Frankly i don't like to wait for my comrades sometimes, other times it's a necessity in the bc. I used to race mtbs, and hated waiting, but these days i prefer to enjoy the up and the down. It's really not about attaining the most vert for me, I enjoy the whole experience :deadhorse:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:10 am 

[quote="Boat Shredder"]What are your tricks to keep up with skiers?
When you shoot pool what is more important to you ? The first shot or the shot that will be directly after? (or just beer LOL)

Thinking ahead is my #1 way to win. Its not a competition .....but it is.

Momentum- knowing when to go first or last to put you out in front. Different lines if required. Wax your damn board!

Traversing - it kills every boarder. My moto is by all means necessary. Seriously disabaled looking or not i'll knee board to save face. Can you traverse switch? How is your one foot ability? Ever seen kids at the resort riding from the top to bottom back foot out? Riding one foot out in pow got me through the 6 day wapta traverse.

Avy work is where efficiency really matters. I cheat as much as possible. Everything from not collapsing my poles to stuffing my skins in my jacket. The tricks are endless...

Best line I ever heard from a punk 12year old kid to a elite group of swiss guides.
Snowboarding sucks.........But skiers swallow.

J

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:22 pm 

Don't be duped into stopping after your ride down in a meadow 50 feet from the next pitch over. Find some little feature that will let you get some momentum into the next section down instead.

On the uphill when anyone stops to chat don't be the last one to get moving again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:49 pm 

I'd rather be last than comprise my down by not collapsing poles or riding with my skins. We spend 95% of the day climbing. Be fit and semi-skilled on kick turns and shit and you do fine. i like to think we have an advantage with ou wide skins. ive been frowned at by skiers mor than once for making the skin track to steep.

The only time I rush at the top is if the weather is shitty.

Collapsing poles and lashing to my pack-- less that 45 seconds, putting skins in my pack--less than 45 seconds. I've never had a partner that has worried about such a trivial amount of time.

The keys to being a good partner has little to do with your mode of transportation. Be a giver, not a taker. Here's a few (a lot already mentioned): be on time, have food and water, gas in car, have all your gear sorted and ready to go, shovel/dig, break trail, don't ski/board recklessly-if you can't land that air in the resort, don't try it on our tour, be avy savy, have beers/weed for everyone, etc.
Jamis wrote:
Boat Shredder wrote:
What are your tricks to keep up with skiers?
When you shoot pool what is more important to you ? The first shot or the shot that will be directly after? (or just beer LOL)

Thinking ahead is my #1 way to win. Its not a competition .....but it is.

Momentum- knowing when to go first or last to put you out in front. Different lines if required. Wax your damn board!

Traversing - it kills every boarder. My moto is by all means necessary. Seriously disbaled looking or not i'll knee board to save face. Can you traverse switch? How is your one foot ability? Ever seen kids at the resort riding from the top to bottom back foot out? Riding one foot out in pow got me through the 6 day wapta traverse.

Avy work is where efficiency really matters. I cheat as much as possible. Everything from not collapsing my poles to stuffing my skins in my jacket. The tricks are endless...

Best line I ever heard from a punk 12year old kid to a elite group of swiss guides.
Snowboarding sucks.........But skiers swallow.

J

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next