Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Why do splitboarders ride such long boards?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:04 pm 

With snowboards now becoming overly and overtly rocker'd and less and less cambered, why do we still see people riding 168s, 172s, and even bigger? I'm 6'1" and 165/170 lbs and never have ridden anything bigger than a 160 resort or split. I'm not a complete newbie but I guess I'm pretty much self taught. Should I be sizing up for my split? I always understood that you can pretty much ride the same size no matter what and where you're riding. I get that longer boards provide better float on pow days but who's getting super deep pow days every time they go out into the backcountry? I have a Venture Storm for my (resort) powder days but that thing only comes out when it's deep. And that's only a few times a year.

So, I understand that it always "depends" what the correct size is for any particular rider but why and how do you size your own board(s). Specifically, what size is your resort vs split?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Why do splitboarders ride such long boards?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:30 am 

JNK wrote:
Specifically, what size is your resort vs split?

My old split: Venture Zephyr 169.
My new split: Prior Spearhead 178.

My resort board for treeruns: Jones Hovercraft 160. (just bought it, don't know yet if I like such short boards)
My resort board: LTB Classic Long 192.

I'm 191cm tall and weigh 78kg. Or 6'3" / 172lbs in the imperial system. (why do US guys actually measure boards and persons in different scale units?)

I love the float of these long boards in powder. Where others need to straightline to keep enough speed, I can make turns with my 192cm board. Apart from that, traversing to and from powder fields from groomed slopes is much easier.
And on groomers I love the high-speed stability and carveability of such long boards.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:53 am 

[quote="JNK"].....Should I be sizing up for my split? /quote]
....who's getting super deep pow days every time they go out into the backcountry? /quote]

In general, the answer to to your question is that people are riding longer boards in the BC so they can go faster and float better. Makes sense, right?

That said, I personally ride the shortest board I can that I feel doesn't compromise the ride down. So, at 5'7" 140lbs, that's a 154 pintail, a 160-165 directional, and a 178 swallowtail.

[quote="JNK"]..... ....who's getting super deep pow days every time they go out into the backcountry? /quote]

Plenty of people! :rock:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:27 am 

I need to ride with different people! :D

Just kidding. I've met and had the greatest time with everyone I've ridden with.

I wish there was a better way to demo different size splitboards 'cause now I wonder if my LibTech Lando Phoenix split will be able to handle a deep day. It's a 160.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:33 am 

Well do keep in mind you are probably going to weight 10-30lbs more with your pack, depending on what you are doing and carrying of course. That alone typically means you are going to want to size up a bit.

That said, I pretty much ride about the same size deck as I use for the resort. The rocker thing gives you a lot more room to play with however you like.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:07 am 

Killclimbz wrote:
I pretty much ride about the same size deck as I use for the resort.

+1 :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:54 pm 

my shortest kick around resort board is a wide 156 GNU carbon credit....

My typical solid is about 160cm

My split is a 165 AMF....its sized up a bit but not a heck of a lot really IMO. I mostly wanted a bit longer split for the added speed stability (the 156 is super jittery for me with the pedal down), but really I think I could get away with something much shorter and thereby lighter in most scenarios....

I'm 188cm or about 6'2"

I do get the big board thing in a way but like most stuff in life its all about what you like/what works for you

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:21 pm 

Saving spot in thread for Snurfer to post up picks of his 200 cm swallowtail and other big rigs. He's also gonna rant a little bit about style and make a wise crack about his own age. Carry on. :disco: :disco:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:43 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
Saving spot in thread for Snurfer to post up picks of his 200 cm swallowtail and other big rigs. He's also gonna rant a little bit about style and make a wise crack about his own age. Carry on. :disco: :disco:

in that case i'll save Barrows' spot and just leave it at i ride shorter boards than he does :doobie:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:44 pm 

Im 6', 170lbs. I ride a 157 solid, and a 159 split. I tried a 165 and 170 split, and thought they were too long. We ride trees all the time, so the shorter board helps ME navigate better, both bc and the now very rare in bounds days.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:15 pm 

A lot will depend on riding style and skill level…

I am 6'1" and 170-175 lbs. The smallest board I will ever ride is a 166. Right now, I use a 172 and 173 splitboards.
I rarely ride lifts, but when I do, I'll ride my 172 cm Tom Burt.
I ride plenty of tight trees (OK, not VT tight, but CO tight) and have no problem quickly turning 170+ cm boards in the trees, especially with rocker. Rocker makes a board much easier to turn quickly, so one can ride a bigger board if they want to, for more float and stability. If you cannot turn a 170+ rockered board quickly enough to confidently ride western states trees I would suggest that your skills are lacking.
My point of view is that it is relatively easy to make a long board turn quickly through the application of skill, but it is impossible to make a short board stable at high speed. Also, nothing beats surface area for real floatation...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:18 pm 

Sorry to disappoint Brad, but if you consider three to four inches to be "so much longer" the only thing I can offer is this, ride what you like and dont sweat it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:23 pm 

Just heard from Trapper that the new Scott Newsome (first fully certified splitboard guide in Canada) model will be a 173. Now, Scott, being a guide, will carry a bigger pack (safety gear, etc) than most splitters, so he probably needs a little more stability and surface area to support the extra weight.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next