Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boring Trip Reports
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:02 pm 

Is it just me or does it seem like there's been a flood of TR's being posted that are just a few random, not very interesting pics with very minimal commentary. Now I'll admit I don't always put a ton of effort into the writing but it'd be nice to see more of these TR's put in local conditions threads. A lot of them are hardly TR worthy. A little effort people! And that goes for blog links. Grrrrrrrr!!!!

I figured I was a good candidate to be the dick that had to point this out :D . I know I'm not the only one that has noticed this.

Post subject: Re: Boring Trip Reports
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:25 am 

^^+1
You're not the only one dude. Besides the fact that I'm old and boring, this is why I use the local conditions thread to post my anti-stoke :D ...
And how about the TR's that are just a video :scratch: please go in the Video forum...
Its supposed to be a report, e.g., "trip report".. Tell a story, add some humor, share some knowledge, humility and stoke...
I personally don't mind blogs as signatures or supplemental info, I know it can be a bitch to make multiple detailed posts, especially if you blog about other stuff and for other audiences...

rant over, carry on :guinness: :doobie:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:54 am 

+1, preach it BG.

BTW, still waiting for a TR in the pink boots! Def wouldn't be boring :rock:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:31 am 

With no snow what are people supposed to do!? :banghead:

But I agree. Give some words, pictures. No friggen links to your blog without a teaser, no videos without picture lead up. If you can't write, grab some quote from John Muir, I don't give a crap, just give it a 1/2 effort.

Come on people, its an art! This should be a sticky in the TR section..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:47 am 

Agree w/ all the above. In fact, I love looking through the various conditions threads (esp. the UT one!) and am usually stoked on the photos I find there whereas the same photos would probably irritate me if posted as a TR.

And Snurfer- I agree w/ the videos & direct links to blog posts being quite annoying... though I have my own site, I always make the effort to post a verbatim copy of the TR over here. Nothing is worse that opening someone's TR link, expecting to see some rad mountain imagery, and finding only a link to their blog.

Also like the sticky in the TR thread idea, maybe even with links to examples of great TRs to give prospective writers an idea. But I wonder if the intended audience would really read something like that?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:49 am 

What's worse, a boring TR, or a boring thread about boring TR's?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:51 am 

I don't know man- you tell me! You spend time on this site too... I'm all for things that work towards making it better...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:55 am 

nickstayner wrote:
I don't know man- you tell me! You spend time on this site too... I'm all for things that work towards making it better...

Rhetorical question. I just scanned the TR section and there appeared to be a pretty good assortment of decent TR's. Didn't find many worth complaining about. I don't visit the site to watch other people ride though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:12 am 

shredgnar wrote:
What's worse, a boring TR, or a boring thread about boring TR's?

LOL!

Alex, I'll take "BGnight-I figured I was a good candidate to be the dick that had to point this out" for $1000

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:43 pm 

This is exactly why I tried to introduce my catch all thread last season, viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12017. It was meant to be a place to throw up a few photos when you don't have enough to make a decent TR. Apparently it didn't catch on.

I've been thinking for a while, there ought to be a sticky newbie welcome thread at the top of the main page that lays out the roolz. Including, things like posting in the right section, and instructions how to use the search function. Nothing drives me crazier than really basic board questions on the main page.

That said, I'm happy to see the newbies coming around and the year over year increases in growth. Splitboarding is the answer.

Whew. There I said it. Without swearing! :clap:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:32 pm 

ricorides wrote:
I've been thinking for a while, we ought to have a sticky newbie welcome thread at the top of the main page that lays out the roolz. Including, things like posting in the right section, and instructions how to use the search function. Nothing drives me crazier than really basic board questions on the main page.

+1 for this! :drinks:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:20 pm 

Its old school vs. new school. Us old timers really get into detail. The youngun's are too busy chasing tail :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:41 pm 

If I see another boring trip report. I'm straight up going to start flying out and tea bagging! :shock:

TEX...We know you love a good tea-baggin, so you don't count.

BG...way to keep these batches in line around here.

BTW...I'm new to splitboarding...which board should I buy?

I'm thinking the new Flying Squirrel 172 by Dirty Sanchez Ripper Sticks INC. will really get me into the GNAR this year :thumpsup:

I'd post a trip report about the GNAR, but I live in MN so we only have sex with our cousins, and grow our scrotum hair WICKED LONG!

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/