Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hard Boot Doubters… Watch this vid
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:09 am 

moridinbg wrote:
Another plus for hardboots, again in touring mode - more natural stride, without lifting the ski.
The no-walk mode of softboots + the highback of the bindings force softies to make shorter strides and to lift partialy or entirely the ski, when touring.

I agree with some of your post, but this is false. You don't have to lift the ski when touring with softies..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:41 pm 

I tried hardboots for a little while. I bought some Scarpa magics or lasers, I can't recall which, and used them with the Voile mtn plate system. I think it is a better setup for the uphill skinning. An inefficiency in my skinning is related to ankle flex on longer moderate angle traverses where I tend to blow out the downhill skin track as it is harder to plant my ski in square with the track due to softer boots. My skier friends simply don't have the same issue as much. I didn't enjoy the ride down however. Even loosening them into walk mode, the downhill experience felt more forced and less playful. While it is certainly true that you spend far more time and energy in the uphill portion of your trips, if it weren't for some kind of downhill ride, you likely wouldn't be using a splitboard at all.

This season I went with the DeeLuxe XVs and so far so good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:26 am 

KGN wrote:
moridinbg wrote:
Another plus for hardboots, again in touring mode - more natural stride, without lifting the ski.
The no-walk mode of softboots + the highback of the bindings force softies to make shorter strides and to lift partialy or entirely the ski, when touring.

I agree with some of your post, but this is false. You don't have to lift the ski when touring with softies..
Same experience here -- no ski lifting with stiff softboots and Sparks.

Post subject: I tried it out and I keep it
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:42 am 

Since today I am a hardboot rider! I tried my new TLT5-Dynafit Radical Setup and it works pretty well. Of course I`ll have to optimize some things of the setup to have the perfect feeling during the next trips, but first impressions are great.

Everyone knows that ascending is just easier, safer and better (including kicking steps) but I think also descending is better, of course different. The board reacts more directly and faster, worse for making mistakes ;-( . One needs less power compared to riding softboots and it`s also easier to get the nose out of the powder, no digging anymore. I think it also might be possible to ride longer boards because of that. I also prefer the crampons of Dynafit (130mm), they are lighter and more reliable than the one of Spark.

if anyone is interest here`s another video for hardboot doubters

Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:37 am 

Mansi, you lucky bastard!
(lucky both in terms of boot fitting as well as the conditions of this tour...!)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:51 pm 

Hey, the 80's called, they want their jacket back...

:)

But seriously, looks like some nice terrain. I'd like to try it in my softboots... :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:50 pm 

the 80s are back :thumpsup: you can rock anything when you ride with style

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:51 pm 

russman wrote:
I will still point out however, that his lower extremity range of motion looked very limited. His knees and ankles barely bend! Every single turn was initiated from the hips, and he didn't create any small radius turns... It was like every turn was conducted perfectly, but only after it came out of the computer program. I'm not sold on hardboots!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:58 pm 

...I was born in the 80ies so I must be colorful, but it`s also aspect of safety and individuality

I don`t understand the qoute of Russman, does it refer to me? If: I for my part think that I ride too small radius turns compared to others and that I mostly ride a carving turn also in powder with an unusual low back knee??? I also notice that I have to do more balancing with my back hand, when I ride with the camera stick in my front head, normally I ride hands down. That refers to my softboot riding, my hardbootriding is just 2 days old and is in progress ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:57 pm 

Russman is referring to the original video in this thread. He's correct too. It's physically impossible to be as dynamic, creative, quick, and fluid (not to mention steezy) in hardboots vs softboots. That's purely based on physics and biomechanics, not opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:04 pm 

Unfortunately we can't see your lower body in your video at all, Mansi :scratch: !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:51 pm 

@Schwalbster the camera stick is too short, maybe that`s better at the moment

I know that is possible just to make even short turns only by moving one`s knees and ankles and to keep the rest of the body stable even with hardboots but at the moment it works only in powder, in "Bruchharsch" (hardpacked snow that breaks when getting on the edges) I´ve to act more up and down to get away from the edge. I think one has to ride more exactly if using hardboots, so I`ve to improve my riding once again, and I`m trying every single day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:59 pm 

I rode last week with WhistlerMaverick aka Jay and can testify that in hard boots depending on your ability and obviously your set up,you can shred hard,do very quick turns and overall made me think twice about it.
I too saw Joeys video and thought he was a bit laboured in setting up a turn but Jay knows what's up :bananas:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next